DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

If you listened to Dan Potter's Podcast about the Rules Congress this last weekend, he said that a lot of members were involved. A lot of DMs and member leaders went along for the Congress, and were a part of meetings. So I guess some of the kids are part of the decision making process.

Wait. No, this is wrong. The DM and others who were invited to the meeting were not a part of the rules congress. They were there to participate in programs designed specifically for them. I can guarantee that they had no input what-so-ever (other than, maybe, over a beer at the hotel bar) on the rules being proposed.

Fewer kids are getting their drivers' licenses these days - does that mean the automobile is doomed to failure?

Context matters.

Then explain to me what your context is. Otherwise, I can only assume you echo the viewpoint "we do not have less apples because we have more oranges".

Amplification of voices is now used extensively in contemporary orchestral music...perhaps most notably in the music of John Adams.

that blasphemer.

:tounge2:

Then explain to me what your context is. Otherwise, I can only assume you echo the viewpoint "we do not have less apples because we have more oranges".

My context is this: the world has changed, and drum corps has suffered as much (and in many cases more) than other youth programs that are on the decline. I posit that it has less to do with DCI's evolution as an activity and more to do with environmental factors.

Again, we don't live in a vacuum, where DCI's rule changes are the only things that drive ticket sales, activity levels, etc. Market research is a big business and this is one major reason why.

This is where one has to be careful in how statistics are interpreted. CrownLeadSop claimed fewer kids are getting their drivers licenses today. The USA Today article cites a trend of ‘percentage’ not ‘numbers’. While it may be true according to the article that a greater ‘percentage’ of youth in the age 18 – 19 bracket in 2010 were delaying getting their licenses than those in 1996, there were actually more youth in that age bracket (living in the entire United States) in 2010 than in 1996. This translates into a situation where the ‘percentage’ might have been on the decrease in 2010, nevertheless the combined ‘number’ of youth in the entirity of the United States getting their licenses in 2010 was still actually greater than they were in 1996 because there were more youth alive in 2010 than in 1996.

However, in DCI today not only is there less ‘percentage’ of youth participating but there are also less ‘numbers’ participating. That is the main problem with citing the driver’s license study as being equivalent to the DCI situation.

Comparing raw numbers without assuming percentages does not really provide much meaningful insight, as it completely divorces the statistic from context.

• Like 1

I'm not always the most supportive of George Hopkins, but if you knew what you were talking about when it came to the new rules that were proposed, yet not yet having official voting results given,this one wasn't George. Check the DCI news article from January 29, 2014.

You may think it was all him with all those other rules as well, but then again, on some of them you would be wrong as to who presented them.

At any rate, get your facts straight on this one before you blame one man.

But, as I keep doing, I'll point out again, this ####### thread is now on 73 pages, and yet DCI has not said officially if this is even a new rule, so keep speculating, y'all!

yeah and even DCI staf members who were there are posting about it on social media, so there's no basis for truth at all

:lle:

that blasphemer.

:tounge2:

But Woody Herman said he was a great American.....

Comparing raw numbers without assuming percentages does not really provide much meaningful insight, as it completely divorces the statistic from context.

But the fact still remains that there are actually more numbers of youth today getting drivers licenses today than there were years ago while there are actually less numbers of youth today involved in DCI than there were years ago.

But the fact still remains that there are actually more numbers of youth today getting drivers licenses today than there were years ago while there are actually less numbers of youth today involved in DCI than there were years ago.

Okay, but that fact doesn't mean anything without context. Facts don't tell the juicy bits of a story, context does.

• Like 1