Thanks for the memories...Im gone!

Something tells me you haven't been to a show or finals lately

I just wanted to chime in on this inaccurate statement...Brasso and I hung out before we watched a DC show this past summer...
  • Like 1

I didn’t really sense the OP was suggesting the demise of Drum Corps.... more like a fond adeus…But just in case, here are several predictions of demises that haven’t particularly panned out:

10. The Rapture (May 21, 2011) by Radio preacher Harold Camping

9. Y2K Scare

8. The American Car Industry

7. Boston Red Sox never winning the World Series

6. Mayan Apocalypse

5. David Parker (Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, England) “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past.” Predicted on March 20, 2000

4. “Television won’t last, it’s a flash in the pan”, Mary Somerville 1948 Education Broadcast Assoc; “TV won’t last 6 months, people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night”, Darryl Zannuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946

3. “There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.” -- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO (April 2007)

2. "We don't like their sound, besides groups and guitar music is on the way out anyway." Decca Recording Co. after rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

1. One word…………Apple

Surely you don't want to open the Pandora's Box for someone to list all of the things that suffered a demise, but the Ostriches ' with their heads in the sand had convinced themselves beforehand that everything was just oh so swell. That list would be infinitely longer, my friend. And I'm quite sure you don't want a list of all the companies since 1946 that are no longer with us that made changes, and brought a product or products to market that too many in the public did not support, nor want, nor were asked about beforehand.

Edited by BRASSO

The values, experiences, and goals of drum corps hasn't changed one bit over the years. Anyone who's been to a recent show or practice knows this. Look into the eyes of the members. They're in this thing for the same reason that most of us, some many years ago, were in it for.

I just wanted to chime in on this inaccurate statement...Brasso and I hung out before we watched a DC show this past summer...

And I might add, that my group of 12 in our tailgate, found you to be an impeccable gentlemen of good breeding, Drum Corps knowledge, and possessing of the requisite gravitas to invite you back this season if time and interest permits, Liahona.

• Like 1

The values, experiences, and goals of drum corps hasn't changed one bit over the years. Anyone who's been to a recent show or practice knows this. Look into the eyes of the members. They're in this thing for the same reason that most of us, some many years ago, were in it for.

No disagreement on this. When it comes to the kids in Corps, just about everyone supports their efforts, their hard work, and recognize that they will be made stronger and more confident by virtue of their participation in Drum Corps., and in that respect, it is no different now than it was in any earlier era.

And yet your "glory days" were someone else's "death of drum corps". History will continue to move on, with or without you. Hopefully you'll come back, but if not, someone else will take your seat at shows.

Some day there will be no more DCI. Some day after that there will be no more drum corps. There was a time before drum corps existed; there will be a time after drum corps existed. After that, when the drum corps historians look back, maybe they'll mark this year as the turning point, and observe that no one did in fact take the place of bmroth1 and other like-minded fans. I doubt it, but in the judgement of time, it may very well be that the period bmroth1 sees as the "glory days" will be deemed to have been just that.

Or maybe history will judge 2014 as drum corps' greatest year, after which, for instance, the addition of woodwinds drove away too many irreplaceable fans. The point is: we don't know, and while bmroth1 may be posting a bit melodramatically, you can't really prove him wrong. Not yet.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

So....they need to keep changing the core elements of drum corps instrumentation (Which makes the activity and sound unique) and risk losing longtime supporting fans to accomplish the above?

They HAVE been changing what some would semantically label as "core elements of drum corps instrumentation." However, fundamentally it hasn't really changed significantly: brass, percussion, guard. We've heard from one Top 6 brass arranger who said he's not planning on adding any of those non-traditional instruments anytime in the near future, and as far as I know we haven't heard yet how other corps will (or will not) implement these changes. I question why longtime supporting fans, who if truly "longtime" fans have seen a myriad of instrumentation tweaks, would completely freak out over this. Woodwinds, I can 100% understand - that WOULD fundamentally change the core elements of drum corps instrumentation. But adding a trombone section: or maybe sousaphones instead of tubas? We're still talking about instrumentation of brass, percussion.

There is a colleague in our school district who retired recently, and it's been said that they are only happy when they're unhappy: if they didn't have something to complain about they wouldn't know what to do with their free time. I wonder how applicable that is to some drum corps fans...

• Like 1

Surely you don't want to open the Pandora's Box for someone to list all of the things that suffered a demise, but the Ostriches ' with their heads in the sand had convinced themselves beforehand that everything was just oh so swell. That list would be infinitely longer, my friend. And I'm quite sure you don't want a list of all the companies since 1946 that are no longer with us that made changes, and brought a product or products to market that too many in the public did not support, nor want, nor were asked about beforehand.

Like all things...half empty or half full! Often times it is out of frustration or feeling powerless that some suggest the demise of things when they are not going in the way they feel they should. So they declare them "dead or dying"...not that the OP did it, but there is always an air of that sense when we discuss the various (often overly dramatic) exits from these boards. It's just a yawner for me.

• Like 1

I didn’t really sense the OP was suggesting the demise of Drum Corps; more like a fond adieu. But just in case, here are several predictions of demises that haven’t particularly panned out:

5. David Parker (Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, England): “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past.” Predicted on March 20, 2000

A Google search for that quote brings up this March 20, 2000 article in The Independent, where it is only the title and not a statement by any particular scientist. Both David Parker and David Viner (the latter from the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, subject of much scandal about five years ago when their emails were hacked and misinterpreted by some to show that they had messed with the data, which they hadn't), did say that they expect snowfall in England to decline, on average, as it already been doing by that time, but they allowed for the possibility of the occasional heavy snowfall as "a very rare and exciting event"; Viner added that because heavy snow would be uncommon, preparedness would lag: "We're really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time". But if it keeps getting hotter (globally, 2013 was the fourth-warmest year (since 1890) according to NOAA and the seventh-warmest year according to NASA), even the attention-grabbing headline itself may prove true.

So drum corps members are in for some extra-hot Texas rehearsals in the years to come! Are there any drum corps in Australia? I hear it's been absolutely miserable there this summer.

(Edited to add that at the moment, the UK is suffering "the most exceptional period of rainfall in 258 years".)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Or maybe history will judge 2014 as drum corps' greatest year, after which, for instance, the addition of woodwinds drove away too many irreplaceable fans. The point is: we don't know, and while bmroth1 may be posting a bit melodramatically, you can't really prove him wrong. Not yet.

Or prove him right, but the majority here seem to be jumping on the doom-and-gloom bandwagon. That's well within their right to do so. I don't think this change was the best idea in the world, but what is so wrong with a wait and see attitude? Shows for this season are already designed. If a designed waited until after the Rules Congress to write their show, they're way behind on the season. Which is why I doubt someone is going to completely re-design their show to add a section of trombones in. Maybe take a mello or bari solo and switch it to a mic'd bone or French Horn in the pit. Maybe. But that honestly seems about as far as this is going to go. Drill designers understand the challenges of writing for 24 trombones and 12 French Horns, it's not an easy task to do at the level we all expect from drum corps.

My point is that instead of finding the nearest cliff to throw our support off of, why not go to a show and see how it all works out? It's like writing off color TV before even seeing it because black and white is how it's always been done. Give it a shot, you just might like what happens.