It's really this simple folks

In recent years I've spent parts of my summer volunteering with a corps. Great people, but the blind spot regarding DCP is kind of funny. Staff, members, volunteers will go on at length about why DCP is such a terrible place, how stupid the posters are, etc. (all while continuing to read the forum daily) . . . then often in the same conversation they'll say something about a another corps, a judge, or something else that would earn them a permaban on here. Pointing out the irony of this earns you a blank stare at best.

DCP is a very mild-mannered place. There are certainly some nuts on here, but the real crazies are out there on tour.

• Like 4

In recent years I've spent parts of my summer volunteering with a corps. Great people, but the blind spot regarding DCP is kind of funny. Staff, members, volunteers will go on at length about why DCP is such a terrible place, how stupid the posters are, etc. (all while continuing to read the forum daily) . . . then often in the same conversation they'll say something about a another corps, a judge, or something else that would earn them a permaban on here. Pointing out the irony of this earns you a blank stare at best.

DCP is a very mild-mannered place. There are certainly some nuts on here, but the real crazies are out there on tour.

lol..this is true..but people also look at many things good sense tells them not to......it's like watching a train wreck sometimes.

I've never thought of this forum as a "terrible" place. Thing is, it is a centralized place for commentary and opinion. You march in a Drum Corps, you love the activity - you know about DCP. What other centralized place of this size exists for the activity?

The day the thread on the vote results was opened, if you looked at the stats while everyone was waiting for additional news, you would have seen upwards of 180+ guests watching the thread (in addition to the logged-in members) - it was as if there was a show and everyone was waiting for scores. I wonder who was amongst those guests....?

Well, I'm having a hard time guessing what those fans want DCP to be like. Everyone agreeing with DCI all the time? Everybody disagreeing with DCI all the time? Nobody upset by what is arguably the single biggest change to brass instrumentation rules in DCI's history? Everybody upset by the same? Since you are (I think) the most prolific contributor to DCP, and therefore perhaps the one who could be most said to set the tone here, are they actually mad at you?

you're missing the point.

it's the OVER REACTION of people on here.

many people came in, grumbled, moved on to other topics. Some are still wailing and moaning like the doctor decided to use the whole fist. here and on the DCP facebook page.

None are mad at me, because I'm being a voice of moderation here. I'm telling it plain and simple...if you don't like it, get the #### out! Spare us the drama

• Like 1

It's been too long...

I BLAME REAM!

I'll remember that in late april

:tounge2:

you're missing the point.

it's the OVER REACTION of people on here.

many people came in, grumbled, moved on to other topics. Some are still wailing and moaning like the doctor decided to use the whole fist. here and on the DCP facebook page.

None are mad at me, because I'm being a voice of moderation here. I'm telling it plain and simple...if you don't like it, get the #### out! Spare us the drama

Isn't your last statement kind of overreacting?

Edited by LincolnV

I've never thought of this forum as a "terrible" place. Thing is, it is a centralized place for commentary and opinion. You march in a Drum Corps, you love the activity - you know about DCP. What other centralized place of this size exists for the activity?

The day the thread on the vote results was opened, if you looked at the stats while everyone was waiting for additional news, you would have seen upwards of 180+ guests watching the thread (in addition to the logged-in members) - it was as if there was a show and everyone was waiting for scores. I wonder who was amongst those guests....?

dcp really isnt very large at all IMO. the other social medias have much more activity. DCP is alot of the same people, although there's actually been a few different recently. I know we like to think that whatever polls etc etc here represent the activity but it really isn't close......Actually polls in general ( news networks ) always say MARJORITY OF AMERICANS SAY...BLAH BLAH BLAH..then you see the poll consisted of something like 1800 people,.....hmmmm marjority of americans?,,,,,hmm I think not......lol anyways as Jeff Ream also said I would agree it's not a place looked on favorably. I think maybe because of sometimes EXTREME INDIVIDUALS which also don't represent the actvitiy ( although most always like in any activity they always seem to think they do )

I think maybe because of sometimes EXTREME INDIVIDUALS which also don't represent the actvitiy ( although most always like in any activity they always seem to think they do )

What about the individuals on here who aren't extreme and who actually post interesting and complimentary stuff? There are many here.

There are some things posted here that are informative beyond anything I could ever read. Garfield's 990 analysis last year was one of the most interesting things I've read here. There are many others. Speaking of Garfield again, he's working on supporting that guy on youtube - he's giving his own money and matching what others are giving. Wouldn't you want to see that?

What about the individuals on here who aren't extreme and who actually post interesting and complimentary stuff? There are many here.

There are some things posted here that are informative beyond anything I could ever read. Garfield's 990 analysis last year was one of the most interesting things I've read here. There are many others. Speaking of Garfield again, he's working on supporting that guy on youtube - he's giving his own money and matching what others are giving. Wouldn't you want to see that?

Thanks for the compliments, Lincoln. Your check is in the mail. :tounge2:

Seriously, I don't know. I kind of think of the "other" social network Drum Corps discussions to be among the "kids", almost by default, because of the rash of young kids there that, generally, aren't on here. I've heard that FB and other sites have more drum corps discussion traffic, but I wonder how "serious" those discussions are. We've all had discussions with kids where we're, like, :blink: at their viewpoint. We get some of that here on DCP, but most of the discussion is deeper, more thoughtful, than just throwing a hissy-fit (which we do well here, too, sometimes). The G7 news broke here, the all-brass broke here. The serious conversations happen here even if they don't result in any more change from DCI than FB does.

I've heard that FB will overtake DCP; I kind of doubt it. When I want an adult discussion about drum corps I go to DCP for the "inside scoop".

But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

Isn't your last statement kind of overreacting?

no. I would have said #### a lot more

:tounge2:

• Like 1