I absolutely loved their 2013 show (except for "two lovers...") - it's the first championship show I can hum along with all of the tunes since ... well, probably Cavaliers in 2004.

I trust 'em to do something equally cool this year, both in visual and music.

Mike

I loved their entire show.

When I saw the image of their uniform . I thought WTF?

When I saw the entire show it all made sense to me.

Kudos to CC for brilliant design . no need for rule changes to get clever ideas.

IMHO since " Bohemia" CC really uses voice in a positive manner, best in whatever this activity is called now.

from a enrolled in Medicare K90 player!

fecontra

Uniforms can have a big affect on perceived cleanliness in a visual program. Why do you think there are so few corps in light colored pants? Hard to keep clean on tour, and hard to get the marchers clean enough with the light color.

I don't think color of the uniforms matters too much. Look at Phantom. Black and white (or all white) every single year

Light-colored pants are more exposed that dark-colored pants to some extent, but what really increases exposure dramatically is a contrasting element such as a dark stripe on light pants, or white shoes with dark pants. That's truly gone extinct in DCI (the current BD uniform doesn't really count). What was the last major corps to have one. Was it the Cadets? And when did they get rid of the stripe?

Light-colored pants are more exposed that dark-colored pants to some extent, but what really increases exposure dramatically is a contrasting element such as a dark stripe on light pants, or white shoes with dark pants. That's truly gone extinct in DCI (the current BD uniform doesn't really count). What was the last major corps to have one. Was it the Cadets? And when did they get rid of the stripe?

2010 was the last year with the stripe. The Angels & Demons and 12.25 iterations did not have stripes on the pants; then when they went back to classic colors, they sneakily left the stripe off.

I don't think color of the uniforms matters too much. Look at Phantom. Black and white (or all white) every single year

Maybe color doesn't particularly matter beyond light or dark pants, but design sure does. Remember the unfortunate "Lurching Leg" effect of the Blue Stars' uniforms in 2007?

It might not be as direct as "wear uniform A to score X points," but uniforms certainly effect the judges perceptions, even if it's on a more subtle level. I suspect that if the same corps were to perform the same show for the same judges twice, once in sharp, well-fitted, crisp looking uniforms pleasing to the eye and again in sloppy uniforms of really nauseating design, you'd see a pretty clear difference in scoring, even if the corps performed equally well both times.

and this brings up a totally irrelevant and inane question...do you think Crown would have won in 2013 had they done the exact same show but in the cream uniforms? (Personally..I liked the purple uniforms, but found them very hard to see on the field..)

I don't think so. They created some really incredible visual effects with that uniform that wouldn't have been possible with the cream uniforms (because of the colors, especially the orange stripe from jacket shoulder to pants ankle). Also the dark colored pants help to hide visual dirt. While their members marched well in 2013, better IMO than 2012, I think having darker pants to hide slight inconsistencies helped their look as well.

I really don't mean to sound like I'm taking anything away from their win or anything, but part of that amazing design was their uniform design: it would undoubtedly be a different show with totally different uniforms

• Like 1

I know a number of the Crown members said the 2013 uniforms were noticeably lighter (in weight) than the 2012 edition. To the degree that may have affected their performances--I don't know.

Have enjoyed studying some uniform design concepts through the years and have applied what I believe are important considerations during a number of constructions.

One concept that always weighed heavily was perception of "cleanliness". The ability of the eye and mind to believe that formations are in proper alignment/form/interval is a powerful one. Additionally, design components equalizing body variety as well as creating perceived elevated performer height assist in promoting "cleanliness" IMHO. Certainly use of light vs dark plays a big role in this.

My dad & I still debate/discuss whether it is best to have the uniform jacket front baldric element descend from the right or left shoulder!!

I firmly believe that design plays a part in perception, hence evaluation.

Also the dark colored pants help to hide visual dirt. While their members marched well in 2013, better IMO than 2012, I think having darker pants to hide slight inconsistencies helped their look as well.

This. The uniforms were a smart decision by the design staff, which ultimately helped their scores. That and not having giant poles or boxes that get scored on the visual sheets.

It's funny. People complain here all the time about how all the uniforms are starting to look the same. Crown does something about as different as it gets and people still aren't happy. Well, I guess you can't blame them for trying.

• Like 2