Should judging be flat?

If you're talking about the 3:00 mark in '07 BD's show, when the drumline is doing LOTS of body movement, pay attention to the rest of the corps - they were all doing the same body movements and, visually, it was VERY cool because of they symmetry across the whole mass of blue uniforms. That's not gratuitous SD for movement sake alone, which is what I object to. If you're describing another point in the show, please point it out with a time stamp or something I can identify.

I am talking about the roughly 3:15 mark on the Fan Network video; you're not talking about what the battery is doing there as something you oppose to? Or are you saying the what the brass is doing is very cool? Or are you saying that since the horn line joins the drum line in the movements the effect is more obvious/tangible because everyone is doing it and not just the battery playing the feature?

except as a judge, if you dont give credit for said visual, even if it makes no sense, you still get #####ed at because you said it doesnt make sense.

it's a no win

Well, there's the 'credit what is achieved, not merely attempted clause in there. I did note some fairly wide spreads with some DCI corps this season because of that.

And in performance captions, it's not your task to determine 'appropriateness'. It's to determine challenge of content and the quality of performance of said content. That's the effect people who need to step in and say- "What in sam scratch are you doing that for, it makes no sense!!"

Now... you might be able to say that a musical passage was stylisitically a non match with the chart and you could give more credit because you'd increase the inherent challenges in the book by playing it in an appropriate manner of style... but that also would depend on sheets, circuit possibly.

It's very nit-picking, but if you start making effect comments when you're evaluating performance, you will get crucified, and justly so. Conversely, Effect is not supposed to be about quality issues, though a lot of effect comments tend to bleed and can get that way if the adjudicator isn't careful about it. Combine that with the concept that's been around since the Cavies developed it in their heyday that high levels of performance quality can generate effect in and of themselves... well, there yah go.

thats not ture..you do not give credit for attempt nor give it when not fitting.....ive seen people called out all the time for it....now if one agrees or not is another story....at least its been my experience

oh trust me they all think it fits...i mean who ever didnt design a show that wasn't perfect? LOL

Well, there's the 'credit what is achieved, not merely attempted clause in there. I did note some fairly wide spreads with some DCI corps this season because of that.

And in performance captions, it's not your task to determine 'appropriateness'. It's to determine challenge of content and the quality of performance of said content. That's the effect people who need to step in and say- "What in sam scratch are you doing that for, it makes no sense!!"

Now... you might be able to say that a musical passage was stylisitically a non match with the chart and you could give more credit because you'd increase the inherent challenges in the book by playing it in an appropriate manner of style... but that also would depend on sheets, circuit possibly.

It's very nit-picking, but if you start making effect comments when you're evaluating performance, you will get crucified, and justly so. Conversely, Effect is not supposed to be about quality issues, though a lot of effect comments tend to bleed and can get that way if the adjudicator isn't careful about it. Combine that with the concept that's been around since the Cavies developed it in their heyday that high levels of performance quality can generate effect in and of themselves... well, there yah go.

in order to reward effect, it has to be achieved no?

Especially with the new DCI sheets- if you're not constantly engaged and interested in the program- no box 5 for you!

hence the issue connecting to fans...what engages them is different for the judges

• Like 1

oh trust me they all think it fits...i mean who ever didnt design a show that wasn't perfect? LOL

i can tell you many from top to bottom..otherwise #17 would be up at #1-5 in effect....there's some that do try but either dont get their own limitations or they look at themselves with rose colored glasses or dont look at what their OWN strengths are and turn that into effect....its not all that hard i think

hence the issue connecting to fans...what engages them is different for the judges

And well should be. Adjudicators are not there first and foremost to be entertained; rather, they are there to assess. The audience is there to be entertained. That is not to say that the audience does not perform some form of assessment on their own. However, numerical assessment from them of a Corps' performance doesn't count -- and shouldn't in any way, in my opinion.

• Like 1

You're not allowed to speak for the fans, Jeff, and you're not allowed to make a contention without empirical evidence you can provide here.

Apparently.