A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

No, DC didn't have to decline, but my guess is that it was pushed along at least a little by the rise in the competitive MB movement, at least around me, and the decline in corps helped the rise of the MB at least a little. I don't think they were huge factors either way...the corps were failing around me regardless of the increase in competitive MB for the most part. The MB rise gave staff and judges places to teach and judge in an activity they were already familiar with.

Thought that would be your response Mike, Just wanted to draw you out a bit more to get some details.... thanks

• Like 1

It's next to impossible to determine what the original founders would have done in 2014. I may be wrong here, but aren't Don Warren and George Bevilaqua the only two still living? Now if you are a founding director and you are reading this, don't worry if you're not dead, your name is just slipping my mind right now.

My guess is that the founders would have been in favor of innovations that have helped the activity. These would have been the directors at the time that the carry on./carry off rules were changed, two valve bugles were allowed and color guards could put flags and rifles on the ground for dance moves. Some would have still been voting members when the "pit" became the practice..In general the DCI founders seemed to have no problem with innovation, but they also respected limits and traditions.

It is likely that some of the founders would love what is happening on the field today, others would be appalled. There were heated discussions, or at least rumors and stories of heated discussions, so they had varying opinions, however, none of them would have envisioned a day when there would be fewer that 25 WC corps and the reality that there may be a day when drum corps may be no more.

No, the decline of the large base of corps forced DCI to migrate to the band world as a partner, as it was a vastly growing activity, so no, you do not state my view correctly at all.

Well, you have also said here that drum corps has been moving toward band since before the decline in field corps began. Have you changed your mind about that?

IMO DCI isnt weak at all....after all it kept alive a dying activity . many many things have gone away..many community activities and church social activities..boy scouts 1/2 the membership...legions and VFWs all but gone....

And at the same time, many youth activities have grown, too.

Well, you have also said here that drum corps has been moving toward band since before the decline in field corps began. Have you changed your mind about that?

No. They were moving instrumentation-wise in that direction when they first added a valve, or permitted percussion such as latin percussion and timpani. Note that I said "as a partner", which is a two-way street. Nice try.

One being competitive marching/music, so what's the problem?

The "problem", in this instance, is these recurring platitudes like you just did (equivocating between drum corps and the wider spectrum of marching music), or the one I was referring to (cherry picking declining youth activities to suggest that drum corps has been better governed in comparison).

Speaking of which, this talk about the Boy Scouts being half their former size... if only we were so lucky.

Speaking of which, this talk about the Boy Scouts being half their former size... if only we were so lucky.

I was thinking Scouts and youth sports in many areas of the country. Even that soccer spike from few year back has flattened.

Well many adult activity groups have gone downhill badly too. In-laws were Bridge playing fanatics and that seems to be hanging on barely compared to the past (another 50s/60s big time leisure activity).

Still think cost and amount of time needed to participate is the big problem. Even for smaller corps that can be a killer and finding people who can do both for a startup is next to impossible IMO. IOW - really don't see new corps coming up and sticking around long term.

The "problem", in this instance, is these recurring platitudes like you just did (equivocating between drum corps and the wider spectrum of marching music), or the one I was referring to (cherry picking declining youth activities to suggest that drum corps has been better governed in comparison).

I'm not "cherry picking"...more kids march/compete today than ever. Drum corps and corps-style competitive marching band are two flavors of the same thing.

Still think cost and amount of time needed to participate is the big problem. Even for smaller corps that can be a killer and finding people who can do both for a startup is next to impossible IMO. IOW - really don't see new corps coming up and sticking around long term.

Yup. Agree. But really, that is pretty much the model "forever', outside of a the VERY few long-term corps. Corps used to spring up in one town, last for a few years while the director and support staff remained interested, and then fold. Back in the 50's and 60's, there would be a new corps created a town over, or even in the same town, with its own set of interested adults.

• Like 1