All animals are equal (but some are more equal than others)

A piece won't have to call for a trombone color for one to be shoved in.

Bad arranging is and still will be bad arranging. I'd guess that you might a wide variety of brass instruments used in solo/small ensemble situations. I seriously don't expect to see every corps marching a trombone section.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one level of baseball in America that uses wooden bats by rule (Major League and it's professional minor league affiliates). College, High School, on down all use aluminum bats.

Yes, Major League Baseball has repeatedly voted down the use of the aluminum bats in their league. Since you brought in the analogy with DCI, lets then compare. First of all, answer me this... has the fact that the young kids grow up on alumninum bats in baseball, use it in their school grounds play, and utilize in the nations school baseball competiition leagues, etc, has it prevented the aluminum bat using young player in the schools from pursuiing the Major Leagues where it is required that he exchange the use of his aluminum bat for the traditional wooden bat if he wants to play there ? Well, the answer to this is clearly " no ". If the analogy of baseball and its central means of competitive tools is to be compared with DCI Corps/ School Marching Bands central means of competitive tools, can we at least agree that Major League Baseball has not suffered one itoa by the requirement that the schools's use of competitive tools be left behind there should ithe player desire to try and play in the Major Leagues ? Also, since there is the quest to compare what baseball is doing and what DCI Drum corps is doing, for the record, arguably, the best summer baseball league in America for college baseball players is the Cape Cod Baseball League in Massachusetts. Some of the best national college baseball players in the country go there in the summers to play in the league, and lots of great Major Leaguers and Hall of Famers once played in this summer league. This league moved from the use of the wooden bat to the aluminum bat about 20 years ago. Then they WENT BACK to the traditional wooden bat 10 years ago, and have kept it since. The league is doing outstandingly well,, as its player participation rate larger and its fan base larger today than it was 15 years ago on the summer Cape League. So there you have it.... the analogy you wanted and asked for.

Edited by BRASSO

Mr. Thunderous Goo would like to have a word with you, sir...

Mike

Every time I listed to the 1988 Madison Scouts, the first thing that comes to mind is how much better they would have sounded with thunderous goo.

• Like 2

Mr. Thunderous Goo would like to have a word with you, sir...

Mike

While I won't defend the over-use of thunderous goo, it is a far more generic element.

FMPOV the obnoxious goo has largely been dialed back. Only a few shows last year where it impinged on my viewing experience and annoyed me. So IMO at least things are getting better.

Edited by corpsband

Yes, Major League Baseball has repeatedly voted down the use of the aluminum bats in their league. Since you brought in the analogy with DCI, lets then compare. First of all, answer me this... has the fact that the young kids grow up on alumninum bats in baseball, use in their school grounds play, and utilize in the nations school baseball leagues, etc, has it prevented the aluminum bat young player from pursuiing the Major Leagues where it is required that he exchange the use of his aluminum bat for the traditional wooden bat ? Well, the answer to this is clearly " no ". If the analogy of baseball and its central means of competitive tools is to be compared with DCI, School Marching Bands central means of competitive tools, can we at least agree that Major League Baseball has not suffered one itoa by the requirement that the schools's use of competitive tools be left there ?

Well, let's look at the reason MLB doesn't use aluminum bats:

Safety. Ball velocity off of an aluminum bat is anywhere from 5-10 mph faster (and that's really the conservative end of the study spectrum) and balls are put into play much more often. There are a lot of details that I won't go into, but MLB has determined that it is not worth the risk (and there is a significant movement in the NCAA to eliminate metal bats as well). Studies have shown balls would be hit more often, harder, and farther with metal bats (and not least of all balls hit off metal bats directly at the pitcher would arrive quicker and a few inches higher than when hit off wooden bats...a significant injury risk).

The NCAA, high schools and little leagues allow metal bats entirely because of the cost savings. The cost of using wood bats is significantly higher then metal. The safety risks also decrease as ability and swing strength decrease.

If MLB was only interested in making the game more exciting, they would allow metal bats in a heartbeat. But they understand the ramifications of such a decision.

Edited by Kamarag

Bad arranging is and still will be bad arranging. I'd guess that you might a wide variety of brass instruments used in solo/small ensemble situations. I seriously don't expect to see every corps marching a trombone section.

nm

Edited by LincolnV

Well, let's look at the reason MLB doesn't use aluminum bats:

Safety. Ball velocity off of an aluminum bat is anywhere from 5-10 mph faster (and that's really the conservative end of the study spectrum) and balls are put into play much more often. There are a lot of details that I won't go into, but MLB has determined that it is not worth the risk (and there is a significant movement in the NCAA to eliminate metal bats as well). Studies have shown balls would be hit more often, harder, and farther with metal bats (and not least of all balls hit off metal bats directly at the pitcher would arrive quicker and a few inches higher than when hit off wooden bats...a significant injury risk).

The NCAA, high schools and little leagues allow metal bats entirely because of the cost savings. The cost of using wood bats is significantly higher then metal. The safety risks also decrease as ability and swing strength decrease.

All true. Thanks for adding that to the conversation.