Carolina Crown 2014

What bothers DCP doesn't necessarily come in to play with judges.

If the design team hears about transition pacing in critique or on a tape, then perhaps there will be changes. But if the adjudicators are buying the explanation the corps is selling, you won't see changes.

But you can't always assume that what irritates DCP users always bothers the judging community.

By the same token, I'd argue these forums would barely exist if users always saw eye to eye with the judging community! :laugh:

• Like 1

What bothers DCP doesn't necessarily come in to play with judges.

If the design team hears about transition pacing in critique or on a tape, then perhaps there will be changes. But if the adjudicators are buying the explanation the corps is selling, you won't see changes.

But you can't always assume that what irritates DCP users always bothers the judging community.

I guess my question would be, if the prolonged muffler/drum break is an intentional design element, what is it the design team is trying to convey to me?

Right now it's, "It started off pretty darn cool but I want to hear the brass again... Why isn't the brass playing yet?..... Seriously, it's been awhile since I heard the brass."

And I doubt that's the effect they're going for, although I'm sure I'm the only one who feels this way.

It does seem to go on for infinity which is OOTW!

Just watched the ECC VOD - have the various circular tarps been trashed...

No, it's just against the rules to use them on natural grass.

EDIT: never mind. I see that venue has turf. Not sure why they didn't use them.

Edited by crownisking

I guess my question would be, if the prolonged muffler/drum break is an intentional design element, what is it the design team is trying to convey to me?

Right now it's, "It started off pretty darn cool but I want to hear the brass again... Why isn't the brass playing yet?..... Seriously, it's been awhile since I heard the brass."

And I doubt that's the effect they're going for, although I'm sure I'm the only one who feels this way.

It's funny cause it's more of an "out of this world" feeling when watching a drum corps. It's designed to be uncomfortably long for that very reason. I personally love that whole middle piece but I'm also a percussionist so it's perfect to me :) Other people want that brass playing again...

It's funny cause it's more of an "out of this world" feeling when watching a drum corps. It's designed to be uncomfortably long for that very reason. I personally love that whole middle piece but I'm also a percussionist so it's perfect to me :) Other people want that brass playing again...

It doesn't make me uncomfortable so much as it just leaves me confused. I'm not seeing how the length of the percussion break relates to the "ootw" theme.

Is there a storyline to the show or is it just elements of space travel that they're interpreting?

It doesn't make me uncomfortable so much as it just leaves me confused. I'm not seeing how the length of the percussion break relates to the "ootw" theme.

Is there a storyline to the show or is it just elements of space travel that they're interpreting?

Have you had the chance to listen to the Field Pass episode with Crown? They explain some of this and the reasoning behind it.

My interpretation, as a percussionist and occasional pageantry judge (i.e. someone who is at times too critical and way over-thinking)

The show seems to have an obvious "flow" to it that mimics space travel. It starts with the Major Tom thing, and then goes into the VERY traditional-sounding "Interstellar Suite." This musically conveys the theme of starting from "home," with the familiar. As the show progresses the music gets quite a bit more "weird" (for lack of a better term right now). The music strays from the "traditional" into a-tonal and "exotic." This symbolizes the journey away from the familiar and into the unfamiliar (best exemplified with the muffler & sound plate segment). Visually there is a TON of stuff going on to exemplify this, with the trampolines, frisbees, large rings, etc. As the show wraps back up it returns more to the "traditional" instrumentation and arrangements and the corps returns back home.

I think; I'm going off my memory of seeing it on FN a few times.

Really cool design IMO

Crown this year is demonstrating once again how virtually impossible it is to repeat if you are not The Cadevaliers. No non Cadevaliers Corps has beaten the Cadevaliers twice in a row at Finals since 88/89, and its only been done once since 1976.. It looks like things are falling into place once again here in 2014 for the " DEV " wing of the Cadevaliers trifecta. But still in all, I do like Crown's show this year, despite not seeing them holding onto their DCI " Crown " for more than a few weeks more.

Edited by BRASSO