Carolina Crown 2014

Cappybara,

I will easily concede that the final product is no longer disjointed. The point I am making here is that it took too long to get the program to a place where the focus did not need to be on design and could be on cleaning it. The staff could not get to the clean part in time. Thus, fifth place. Sorry, cappybara. I am not trying argue with you at all. Never have. I just know that the corps could have been a contender with a better designed show. :)

I get your point, but it all seems premised on the assumption that all they should care about is how they score. Maybe they care more about other things, like making it an interesting and challenging experience for the members, and a unique and entertaining experience for fans.

Cappybara,

I don't want to point out the weaknesses, but I must mention the show's disjointed nature. There is way too much clutter on the field that is not utilized much at all. The difficulty level is too high and this is obvious by the fact that they have had little success in cleaning it well at all. I was amazed at how poorly the final minute of show is marched. If you see that something is too difficult or you don't have enough time to clean it, you simplify it. Crown did not have the opportunity to clean much because the concept of the show itself had to go through too many changes. I mean, trampolines are not normally safe in the yards of people's homes. In fact, most home insurance companies won't even cover liability for them. But, the staff has the great idea of putting four of them with no safety equipment on the field as an eye sore. Sorry, you get no GE for that type of stupidity. The members have really put forth sooo much effort to this show, but in many ways it had little chance of contending this year. Designers much match talent to design, not simply dream up concepts they hope will work.

Crown, be proud of your energy, your determination, your willingness to put that level of demand on the field and to succeed. Judging is opinions so when you're up, be grateful, and when they push you down, be humble. IMO, the top 5 this year are phenomenal and should all be within a point. Good luck tonight.

I don't think they need you to tell them to be humble. As far as I can see, they have been a model of sincere humility, including when they won last year.

• Like 3

I don't think they need you to tell them to be humble. As far as I can see, they have been a model of sincere humility, including when they won last year.

The members and staff have been, without question. And I have no doubt that they will be the first corps rushing to congratulate the winner (much like the Blue Devils did last year). The members in these corps, particularly Devils, Cadets, and Crown are a lot tighter than people realize. It's the age of the friendly rivalry, and the animosity and nastiness really had become a thing of the past. For the members anyway...fans are a different story :)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Cappybara,

I don't want to point out the weaknesses, but I must mention the show's disjointed nature. There is way too much clutter on the field that is not utilized much at all. The difficulty level is too high and this is obvious by the fact that they have had little success in cleaning it well at all. I was amazed at how poorly the final minute of show is marched. If you see that something is too difficult or you don't have enough time to clean it, you simplify it. Crown did not have the opportunity to clean much because the concept of the show itself had to go through too many changes. I mean, trampolines are not normally safe in the yards of people's homes. In fact, most home insurance companies won't even cover liability for them. But, the staff has the great idea of putting four of them with no safety equipment on the field as an eye sore. Sorry, you get no GE for that type of stupidity. The members have really put forth sooo much effort to this show, but in many ways it had little chance of contending this year. Designers much match talent to design, not simply dream up concepts they hope will work.

How can you call that stupidity. Every corps that uses props to spin on or what not has a safety factor to it from Crowns trampoline to Cadets stage, Bluecoats tilted props, Blue knights clock table, Pacific Crest X props, SCV Pillows, Blue Devils tables chairs ladders, Boston's human windmill. To call one corps staff as being stupid for making a choice of something that is widely used in back yards is stupid on your part. I'm pretty sure there staff have taken every precaution with there trampolines and others have with there props accidents can happen to any type of props. Safety is on every staff members minds when they decide to use props to do things on.

FLguardman,

I'm sorry, but I speak English and work in the insurance industry. What I said was that trampolines are such a liability that personal insurance lines have cut coverage for them in most cases. To use such devices is not safe. Not every prop has the same level of safety hazard potential. Trampolines are up there with pitbulls in terms of anyone's ability to predict what can happen. Oh, that's why few insurance companies cover liability for them as well. The potential safety problems is why Crown does not use them significantly in their show, which means this design element is essentially unneccessary. One can barely use them, so why have them? So, Crown's staff must have realized too late that such items add little to the show are too dangerous to use them to any significant advantage and are therefore stupid to have them on the field.

It's not 100%, but I'll add that there are some Crown honks on here who behave very well in light of the criticism being directed at their favorite corps in comparison to other corps.

FLguardman,

I'm sorry, but I speak English and work in the insurance industry. What I said was that trampolines are such a liability that personal insurance lines have cut coverage for them in most cases. To use such devices is not safe. Not every prop has the same level of safety hazard potential. Trampolines are up there with pitbulls in terms of anyone's ability to predict what can happen. Oh, that's why few insurance companies cover liability for them as well. The potential safety problems is why Crown does not use them significantly in their show, which means this design element is essentially unneccessary. One can barely use them, so why have them? So, Crown's staff must have realized too late that such items add little to the show are too dangerous to use them to any significant advantage and are therefore stupid to have them on the field.

I speak English as well and many other languages, I read and understood exactly what you wrote. As you just confirmed it what you just wrote they don't use them as much as they could for safety reasons so in fact it's not as much of stupidity idea. So I'm done trying to give a point. You can talk whatever you want I and many others are happy with them trying something new to depict weightlessness. Bless your heart and have a nice day!!!

Well spoken. Anyone who's had the privilege of spending any time with Crown's performers knows they're truly something special.