Carolina Crown 2014

Why do you believe I don't know what I'm talking about, simply because I critique the design of the show? Listen, these are no longer the days when corps are simply rewarded for effort. Design is so much of what makes a corps successful. As one commentor put it, GE is now 70% design and 30% performance. I stand by my comments. Try using some type of real argument rather than simply suggest I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about.[/quote,

You are estranged from the corps. You don't speak with staff, members, administration. What you don't get is that these young people are happy and that is what matters, period. They don't need people coming out on DCP and ranting about the corps or its staff like you do. Especially alumni.

The show was amazing and well received by fans last night. The kids loved to perform this show. The smiles on their faces while I was on the road with them are all the understanding I needed

Good Morning Tone Quality,

Please note that I have always spoken for myself and not others, first of all. Second, I have rarely displayed blind loyalty in my life to anything or anyone and don't intend to start simply because your comment wishes it to be so. Third, and I emphasize this again, you have presented no case against my opinion other than to suggest that everyone was happy so I should just stop talking. That's not going to happen, because Tone Quality, you cannot adequately speak for me anymore than you claim I can speak for Crown. I will not comment directly to you concerning this particular context again, as there is little fruitful discussion to be had at this point.

It is a shame that musically, Crown didn't quite get the credit for what they were doing in EVERY phrase of the music. So much shaping and nuance to everything they do! Easily the most schooled brass section on the field .... I also think that Crown is a victim of their own success. They have spoiled us as listeners, and have in a way, desensitized us to unbelievable playing. BD might make things "look" easy, but I think Crown makes things "sound" easy. Just a fantastic corps this year, and an amazing organization.

• Like 2

FLguardman,

I'm sorry, but I speak English and work in the insurance industry. What I said was that trampolines are such a liability that personal insurance lines have cut coverage for them in most cases. To use such devices is not safe. Not every prop has the same level of safety hazard potential. Trampolines are up there with pitbulls in terms of anyone's ability to predict what can happen. Oh, that's why few insurance companies cover liability for them as well. The potential safety problems is why Crown does not use them significantly in their show, which means this design element is essentially unneccessary. One can barely use them, so why have them? So, Crown's staff must have realized too late that such items add little to the show are too dangerous to use them to any significant advantage and are therefore stupid to have them on the field.

The trampolines weren't used as much as originally intended just because some of the ideas they wanted to do with them just didn't work. Insurance had ZERO bearing on stuff. They tried soooooo many different things throughout the summer and most just flat out didn't work. The drums were originally going to be brought up sometime on them, never happened as they just couldn't make it work and have it be effective. The staff obviously aren't going to give the kids work that will make them break their necks so if that's the point you're arguing, well every corps does that with everything "extra" used in a show. In the end, they used the most effective stuff they could and did a great job with it.

This was simply a design bust. A lot of the ideas on paper just didn't translate as well on the field as they thought. They took a lot of risks this year and some paid off and others didn't. It happens...

• Like 1

Special shout out to the color guard for surging to get third on Saturday. They have had my favorite program all year, but then I am a sucker for the unison choreography they have throughout the show. Watching them live was a treat this weekend. And the soloist is outstanding in the ballad. I hope to God that the producers of the video recognize her and the entire guard's contribution to the show with the proper focus.

• Like 3

Mr. / Ms. Nachfolger Christi,

If you are an Alumnus of the corps (as you took the time state earlier), you have the avenue directly to the Corps Administration to positively express your approval or displeasure with this year’s product. Where were you and your comments in 2013? The exact same Design Team planned and executed both of those shows and I would believe they did not suddenly forget how to design a drum corps show. I would take the experience and credentials of Crown’s Design Team over any armchair Monday morning designer as they have built up a better reputation than a forum’s “Negative Nancy”. Who by the way- post’s get made fun of amongst the corps staff and MM’s.

Did they take some chances? Yes they did. Did they workout as planned? Some no and some yes. Are they going to strive and push the show next year? #### straight they are. Will it work out like 2013 or 2014? Only time will tell. Buckle up for another fun and wild ride!!!

You’re taking the easy route by continually hammering the corps short comings of a particular year. Everyone can fill buckets and buckets of each corps issues of that particular year, but it takes a real dedicated person who wants to make a change to do it. Why not focus your efforts and energy on making your corps better?

What are the chances the snare that dropped/lost his drum just happened to be wearing a camera...

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=ffd26522-9a01-496b-a3ea-b57da266b448

100%, given the evidence :-)

• Like 3

I really liked this year's Crown production. Hopefully their studio recording will be as great as the past three that I bought :music:

I like what this year's corps evolved into. They made changes and fixed the "FLOW" of the show. I think they could've done more with the end, but after a certain point, you just gotta ride the horse that brung ya. I don't fault them for that.

I had this show in 3rd, I can see how it would should score in 4th, but I absolutely find it a travesty that it slipped to fifth. That's #### poor judging IMO. But hey, at the end of the day, If you're not 1st.....who cares. This show is getting SEVERAL plays on the ride to and from work