Controversy in WGI and DCI

And in the context of the overall discussion to date...No? Tell me why.

That was over the entrance gate at Auschwitz(?) and is really the only thing it is noted for.

They have, but some composers/agents have their heels dug in on stuff. John Williams' music has been done before, but he really clamped down on everything, so no one gets to use it anymore. Not even Star Wars, which is from the 70s. Which Scouts did in 79

Troop was planning on using music from Lincoln this year.

And in the context of the overall discussion to date...No? Tell me why.

because I cant see how it could be done without being offensive. Maybe it could be . So maybe i take that back. Could it be done in good taste ? well, I would hope so and I do believe that a good designer, one who knows their stuff and is looking to be successful might find a sympathetic way of producing this show. Would I give it a chance? YES , as I would with most shows. There is always a line we all try not to cross and MOST have a realistic view on what that line is. If a show like this was done and most if not all found it offensive , believe me it wouldnt be on the floor or field long IF a show like this were done and a few radical, holier than thou , I repeat a few didn't like it, Then like in the past they go and the majority enjoy.

NOW, i myself can sit here and come up with at least 1000 subjects ( as we know for the sake of just talking some will ) that wouldn't be appropriate . As I said before, For ME personally, there are far more disturbing subjects that and I repeat for ME far exceed despicable than a tasteful suggestive show. Which suggestive shows in many forms have been done for decades.

Edited by GUARDLING

That was over the entrance gate at Auschwitz(?) and is really the only thing it is noted for.

Most famously at Auschwitz anyway..... "Work Makes You Free"....

Where's the fun in never having a show with SOME sort of "envelope-pushing" (as long as it's in good taste and done well of course)? Can't always have the cliche shows revolving around Dr. Seuss books, colors, tribal music, and shows about choosing paths and directions in life - holy #### the amount of times I've seen a show about the poem "The Road Not Taken" - I've probably seen 7 shows in the past 3 years about that! It's always interesting to get a show that ACTUALLY makes you think to yourself, "What did I just watch?". Those are always the most fun shows for me to watch!

Speaking on spoofs on " horrors " I have absolutely no idea why no WGI or DCI Corps has not done a tribute show to " The Little Shop of Horrors ":. Its been asked for a few times on DCP in the past. I do agree that its a bit tame by todays standards, but in the hands of the right director, it could be updated, and injected with more pizazz that could generate sufficient controversy that could" push the envelope " that some are seeking. The best approach would not to take this theme in serious vein, as afterall the movie was a musical comedy. ( Jersey Surf ? ) The music had melodies, but that shouldn't automatically make the music a non starter, if given to a DCI Music Arranger to perhaps tone down the harmonies, melodies, so it fits the visuals. And oh my, this movie was tailor made for innovative costuming, staging, and whatnot re. visuals. I say this in all seriousness too. There is a lot to this show, and it seems a natural today.. and we have had several posters on here in the past, call for this show and music. Its not ".... " West Side Story ".... " " My Fair Lady ".... or any of that staple of Musicals, as those shows arn't " controversial " in the least, and these have all been done too many times to count as well. But this thread topic is about pushing the envelope on shows and themes into the realm of " controversial ", and who here thinks that if " Little Shop of Horrors " that if updated and invigorated with 21st century staging, costuming, guard work, brass and drumming, that this show couldn't really push the envelope of the activity ? Why has this musical not been utilized as subject matter and themeing so far, when it seems like it could be a really good fit for some avarde garde, creative, progressive WGI/ DCI Show Designer ? Anybody ?

oh well the plant eating people would surely offend.

Personally I say roll out Rocky Horror

For some sort of reference for those who haven't seen the controversial WGI shows, here's some of them.

Braddock 2010- The Passion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB3PAar1-wM

Fantasia 2012- A Good German http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRHjYBWmhc

Northmont High School 1997- Dante's Inferno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPGC4BAfwQ

To all defending the subject matter, not the presentation of, but the ‘subject matter’ itself of Kama Sutra: Are you saying that as long as it is presented in an artistic manner with PG type innuendoes, and hints of intellectual suggestive mannerisms, it would be appropriate to design a WGI oriented show engaged in a family atmosphere about something similar in sexual nature like the thematic inner workings of the Nevada Bunny Ranch?

Did you watch the clip? Unless you knew the name of the show was 'Kama Sutra', and you knew what the Kama Sutra was, all you would see are dance moves. I don't think you should be teaching your kids about the Kama Sutra at such an early age, Stu.

How many people have "died" in drum corps shows? I mean Phantom had a dead Spartacus in 81,82 and 08! Not only did Tony did in Bridgemen 81, they resurrected him! BLASPHEMY!! Worse yet, he disco danced! Oh and speaking of Bayonne, in 80, they had the, uh, ladies of the night in Winnetka, who obviously seduced that poor horn player to chase after...then...OMG...they tried to rewrite history and have the south win the Civil War! Bluecoats 08 promoted violence with the boxing show, and BD 06 promoted the Mafia with the Godfather...killing horses heads and putting them on flags in fact!

In our "No More War" 1972 show the entire hornline died (inc me in my one year marching on baritone horn) in a battle scene to the music from Holst's "Mars", except for one soprano who played 'Taps' at the end.

In our 'America, the Brave' show in 71, we also had a battle scene with the corps split into two and shooting at each other. as the Brits and Americans.

In our "No More War" 1972 show the entire hornline died (inc me in my one year marching on baritone horn) in a battle scene to the music from Holst's "Mars", except for one soprano who played 'Taps' at the end.

In our 'America, the Brave' show in 71, we also had a battle scene with the corps split into two and shooting at each other. as the Brits and Americans.

Didn't you call your one show "War No More" and had a "Mercedes Benz" hood ornament set up on the field? :satisfied:

Thought of that but pre-DCI. Also Sr Rochester Crusaders playing "Garden of Gethsemeane" late 70s with a corps members dressed as Christ getting whipped. Think that lasted one show.... Remember that because Larry Hershman saw it and said "Think we're tough when you're late for practice.... Rochester whips you". :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari