Controversy in WGI and DCI

What about the World Independent Guards? Most of them are all adults, especially with the lack of an age limit at the top

If that is the basis of your position, IW guards are mainly adults and thus should be allowed to present adult content in show design, then fine. I would not object to even a completely nude pole dancing show design if the entire IW guard is comprised of legal adults. However, since people do purchase tickets to see WGI performances, if various levels of adult content is to be in the IW show designs then place a MMPA type rating for purchasing tickets to a contest reflecting the most adult level of content presented by the most ‘mature’ IW show design being performed (to purchase tickets to this WGI contest it is PG-13; to purchase tickets for that WGI contest is R; to purchase tickets for the other WGI contest is NC-17). Thus parents would have a guage on what their kids are going to see at the contest. Otherwise, if ‘anyone’ can purchase tickets to ‘any’ WGI contest with IW guards performing, then rather strict limits should be in place so that IW guards cannot present adult sexual position show concepts, or other adult type content, to under age kids who are allowed to purchase tickets to the contest. It is a matter of shared accountability and responsibility of both the guard show concept designers and the parents who have kids either involved on the floor or in the stands as spectators.

Edited by Stu

Fantasia would love to know 12 years after their show people are still talking...sounds like a good show choice ! shows sim. have been done since and will continue to be done with or without approval of some, liking it or not. Obviously for most no line was crossed and good designers are smart enough to send a message if thats what they are doing in a tasteful manner to nearly everyone. Thank God the activity is like that. freedom to explore, set new trends ( which is actually in the IW description) etc etc without fear. It's good to stretch ones mind IMO knowing how to creatively and tastefully present a program. If we didn't have this we might as well be living under the old commie rule.YES, that sounds extreme BUT if you start this crap , that's what it is.

Thankfully, there's no need for the moral police, we take care of what we think or need to ourselves, thank you very much!

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Many of the shows mentioned here are so silly that I find it hard to label them "offensive". The Northmont Inferno especially. I cracked up the first time I saw it, how can anyone take that seriously?

Edit: And I don't understand why so many regular posters here waste time arguing with Lord Pinhead. You could have more constructive, intelligent debates with a refrigerator.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 2

True; all are good productions. But the appropriateness, or inappropriateness, of a youth oriented WGI or DCI or BOA show based on, say, something like the production of “It’s Just Sex” which ran at The Actors Temple in New York, or ‘The Skivvies” which opens at the end of this April, is really the underlying question here.

Not really...I was looking at photos of "The Skivvies", and that is far different than the interpretive dance routines in the WGI show under discussion...IMO, anyway. If the guard had stripped down to next-to-nothing you would have a point, but what they did was far different. I only saw the video clip of the guard, but there was nothing there I would try and keep away from a child. If a parent has discussed the Kama Sutra with a 10-year-old...shame on them. Otherwise, a young person just watching that show would hae NO idea there was anythnig remotely sexual about the theme...much like the multi-layer cartoons you talk about. That guard show was far closer to the Warner Bros cartoons you described than it is South Park.

what is funny, the rank and file of VFW folks at the Orange bowl gave us an amazing reaction when we formed the Peace Sign and pushed to the stands.

Of course they would. Look at the timeline. It was late '71. The Washington Bureaucrats were already admitting to themselves that they had made the mistake of putting the nation's young into a War neither they nor the public were fully committed to, and Washington behind the scenes was already begiinning the process of exit in Southeast Asia. The old guys in the AL and VFW ( who had fought in WW2 where the Nation was attacked and a Nation fully committed to) increasingly sensed this too and did not want to see their young fight and possibly die in a War with little public support and from which it was already planning its withdrawal from by '71. So of course, the older Vets rank and file would be ok with seeing the Peace Sign by late '71. This would have been expected. Now , having said all this, had the Garfield Cadets of '71 came out in costumes with guards looking like filthy, drug using, layabout hippies, present in those days, the older Vets would have definately given your '71 Corps a much different response, as the older Vets had no use at all for these lazy bags of bones that so shamelessly mistreated their own aged military at the time that were coming home from risking their very lives in a war zone for the Nation that the Nation called them too. But to the Cadets credit in '71, they had their Cadets unis, sabers, rifles, honor presentation in shows. guards in traditional unis, with show with a momentary display of visual with a peace symbol...so on the whole, not all that controversial with the older vets by late '71, ergo the support by the rank and file Vets for the Cadets show at their Convention, and the nice reception you received from this audience made up of sizable numbers of former war Vets, their families, friends.

Edited by BRASSO

Gee, I didn't know YOU had the authority to nominate on here, or I could have done a much better job of pandering to you for this nomination selection. But thanks for the consideration, but its an unpaid position, and I can't give up my current volunteer work to substitute the one for me that you want... but thanks for your vote of confidence anyway, Jeff... and by the way, Elmo and Sesame Street's " double entendres " you're seeing all the time there on TV with your 2 year old probably won't have either one of you showing up on any police blotter as a result, so Sesame Steet and Elmo are ok in my book no matter what the " double entendre " PC squad might think.

anyone can nominate Brasso. It doesn't mean you get the post, just that your name has been nominated to be in contention.

For someone wo loves to parse participles, I would think you're all about words being used correctly.

And what mountain might this be that your imagination has me attempting to build ?, as I don't have a clue what you are mumbling about to me anymore now.. and no, despite your vivid imagination, I have no interest in "arguing" with anybody, nor consider this disccusion in such a realm.. but maybe you do, who knows,.. but lay off the insertion of "the corpse" lingo biz into your dialogue. Your volume of thread posts, coupled with this need to see "arguing,".." corpses", etc is beginning to creep me out. So breathe in.. breathe out... relax... think good and happy thoughts of Elmo... and you should be back on track and good to go again on here, Jeff.

you do realize a large majority of my posts are in the OT forums right? Where people who have been friends since DCP launched in 2002 have bonded and had fun? posts that often have nothing to do with drum corps.

Research, it'll bite ya in the ### every time.

as for arguing with corpses....yeah you'll go there. When you get on your soapbox and try to stretch things to the point of breaking to show you're right.....you'll go to all lengths.

Maybe that sneaking around at midnight to watch skinemax or get on a sex website can happen in your house. But we do not subscribed to skinemax, whore-bo, or any other R or X channels only the basic stations; and many of those are locked and can only be watched when my wife and I are home. We have also blocked any pay-per view without our password, and have blocked all of the free-weekend movie channel packages. The computer is in the family room; and while it is normally always on we do have it filtered with a software package; our internet router does ‘not’ have wifi it is direct Ethernet-line only; the router is always off unless either my wife or I are home and my wife and I are the only two who know the password for the router. Of course kids can be creative and smart, for example they may have gone to Best Buy and bought a separate router we do not know about that is used when we are not home to monitor, but my wife and I do try to stay on top of technology. Cannot say what happens in others homes either, but we do try to also be diligent on who stays where. The older they have gotten the more they have earned our trust along with the more relaxed the house rules have become; but they also know what real heck there is to pay with much gnashing of teeth if that trust is ever betrayed. As someone on DCP would say, apparently my wife and I are a part of the Fox News Religious Right Closed Minded Judgmental crowd.

it can happen in any house. parental controls can be hacked by a kid with tehcnical knowledge.

don't ask me how to do it, my 2 year old is better with the ipad than I am

:tounge2:

Actually, I just verified on the WGI site that the show was called "Images of India." It wasn't called Kama Sutra. It actually won the Independant World championships that year by two points over the nearest competitor.

oops.

yeah, game over