I'm confused by the discussion on the story of Boston's show. Yes, I know it's Animal Farm. And yet, when interviewed during the Akron show for the Cinecast, the representative from Boston said that show does not really tell the story from the book - that it's a based loosely on the story ... or at least he said something to that effect.

So if that's true, what other interpretations of BAC's show is there?

It seems to me that the true genius in BAC's show is that it IS open to such diverse interpretation. The "clover" to which some folks have been referring is actually a windmill, which rotates after being formed, but if people want to see a clover, that's just fine.

As has been stated, the Animal Farm concept is a theme which helps tie together some great 20th century musical literature. Perhaps, as DCI fans, we have been conditioned to EXPECT specific story lines so we end up projecting our own interpretations on what is being performed. (Someone earlier this season speculated that part of BAC's show was an allegory on the rise and fall of Phantom Regiment, believe it or not.)

For my part, I simply love the music, drill, and guard. As a former high school English teacher, I know Animal Farm well and have taught the novel on several occasions. Along with his companion work on totalitarianism (1984), it is among the best social commentary of the last century. Boston has found a way to draw on enough of its resouces without making us all feel like we are in English class.

And for the record, this show seems to be developing precisely as many of us anticipated as far back as move-in. Keep it up, BAC!

• Like 8

Great post, Craig.

I'm confused by the discussion on the story of Boston's show. Yes, I know it's Animal Farm. And yet, when interviewed during the Akron

show for the Cinecast, the representative from Boston said that show does not really tell the story from the book - that it's a based loosely on

the story ... or at least he said something to that effect.

So if that's true, what other interpretations of BAC's show is there?

Where did you see people discussing "the story of Boston's show?". I have only seen discussion of themes from and references to the book that take place in the show. That does not seem in conflict with the "loosely based" to me.

Also, I'm thinking this was the second year in a row their staff did not sell or explain the show very well in the theater broadcast. Other corps too. It is like they weren't expecting to be asked. They miss a good opportunity there to introduce the shows in a way that will help the audience enjoy then.

I just got done watching it again from the Michigan City show.

Man I love this show! it's so out there it's perfect for me. I especially love the out jazz portion of Old McDonald.

:thumbup:

Jack, if you're including my communist-related commentary and as it applies to BC's show...you might wish to look to a far more reliable source. The things I posted today were merely my own conjecture -- and it was nothing other than a guess. Please don't let me lead you astray.

Oh, it was something I saw on this thread after their first performance (it could've been you, but I don't remember)! But I do think that viewpoint is clever and I agree wholeheartedly with it. So don't worry! It probably wasn't (all) you!

Where did you see people discussing "the story of Boston's show?". I have only seen discussion of themes from and references to the book that take place in the show. That does not seem in conflict with the "loosely based" to me.

Also, I'm thinking this was the second year in a row their staff did not sell or explain the show very well in the theater broadcast. Other corps too. It is like they weren't expecting to be asked. They miss a good opportunity there to introduce the shows in a way that will help the audience enjoy then.

It's not just Boston but most corps whose directors aren't good at articulating their artistic intentions. For example, the Cavaliers' representative last discussing the theme of "secret society", and how a drum corps was and was not like one, did a bad job of it, as was Jim Mason explaining Madison's show this year.

However, in the case of Boston, if there is a subtext that compares the G7 as like the pigs in Animal Farm, I can well understand their reluctance to say so explicitly.

However, in the case of Boston, if there is a subtext that compares the G7 as like the pigs in Animal Farm, I can well understand their reluctance to say so explicitly.

Let's just not talk about that part. :tounge2:

Oh, it was something I saw on this thread after their first performance (it could've been you, but I don't remember)! But I do think that viewpoint is clever and I agree wholeheartedly with it. So don't worry! It probably wasn't (all) you!

IMO you would also have to look at Boston music selection and the composers that they have selected as well. There is a lot of layers that relate to the show. Not just G.O. A.F. Note: It is very interesting now this complex music fits the show sound wise also.

It's not just Boston but most corps whose directors aren't good at articulating their artistic intentions. For example, the Cavaliers' representative last discussing the theme of "secret society", and how a drum corps was and was not like one, did a bad job of it, as was Jim Mason explaining Madison's show this year.

I believe there is a political undertone, but I heard the G stands for group, 7 includes the seven leading democratic economies of the world. Some kind of economic protest relating to farms?

• Like 1

Wish I had perfect pitch (or the gumption to get off my fat *** and walk to the piano). It would be funny as heck to find out that the "G7" form was nothing more than an announcement of the chord being played at the time the form is completed. :doh:

• Like 4