Blue Devils 2014 Thread

I've been to a few BD rehearsals in recent seasons. I think many people here would be surprised about how much they want to cater to the audience. The staff always has the audience as a central focus of everything they do. While they don't always want the audience to feel "happy" (or some other mushy feeling associated with standing o's and major chords), they do want the audience to feel something. Making the audience experience emotions isn't alway just making them jump to their feet (or using social media to ensure they do for a little GE boost).

Regardless of what judges think, I really do think the Blue Devils have the audience as a central focus. On and off the field.

• Like 3

"Traditional" shows can be boring, repetitive and predictable...to me, anyways. I'm ok with the direction BD is going in. I think they do what they do better than anyone else in the business.

• Like 1

Once again I find myself really enjoying BDs offering from the past year......about 10 months later. Maybe not as much as 2009 and 2012 (both of which I love now), but I can watch it now and enjoy it. Wish these shows would click with me a little faster though, if they could find a way to do what they do now but in a way that we can catch on quicker, I could enjoy them more when they are actually performing.

Oh man ... I really hope they play excerpts from Nino Rota's Satyricon score. There is no way that would be controversial:

http://youtu.be/Ef2DQxAyKBM

For the record, I have loved what BD has done the last two years ... and I think Rota is a great film composer.

Edited by jasgre2000

Once again I find myself really enjoying BDs offering from the past year......about 10 months later.

Agreed! The more I listen and watch, the more I "catch" so to speak. There are so many elements of not just the musical piece "The Rite of Spring," but also from the ballet as well.

• Like 1

Legitimate question: likes/dislikes of BD shows aside, why are they considered to be so incredibly innovative? Perhaps I'm just missing something.

I don't think they have been incredibly innovative the past few years - at least considering the word "innovation". BD's shows recently have been similar year to year. As such, I don't think they've been innovative each of the past few seasons. What they have been is flat out clean. The only thing that kept BD from winning again last year is they weren't quite as spotless as they typically are - but still at, or near the top of the charts for execution. A good indication of how well they execute is to listen to almost any early season show they have - it's unbelievable the level of execution that start from. There's a number of reasons that contribute to this, early start, show schedule, talent, instruction... But make no mistake, you can always count on BD to execute the heck out of the show.

• Like 2

Agreed! The more I listen and watch, the more I "catch" so to speak. There are so many elements of not just the musical piece "The Rite of Spring," but also from the ballet as well.

In spite of the crowd mentality for Crown last year, I believe objectively, Blue Devils could have won in any normal year. This is not to re-start a Crown versus BD argument. But really, that BD show last year was pretty darn phenominal in its own right.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Once again I find myself really enjoying BDs offering from the past year......about 10 months later. Maybe not as much as 2009 and 2012 (both of which I love now), but I can watch it now and enjoy it. Wish these shows would click with me a little faster though, if they could find a way to do what they do now but in a way that we can catch on quicker, I could enjoy them more when they are actually performing.

Funny you say that, I felt that way in 1993 with Star, and now I LOVE that show.

Funny you say that, I felt that way in 1993 with Star, and now I LOVE that show.

I kinda knew it was coming, never really had the chance over the summer to really dig in and watch all the details, so I can't say I ever disliked it, just knew I was unsure what to think because I wasn't aware of all the little things going on.

• Like 1

I kinda knew it was coming, never really had the chance over the summer to really dig in and watch all the details, so I can't say I ever disliked it, just knew I was unsure what to think because I wasn't aware of all the little things going on.

I know exactly what you mean.