Blue Devils 2014 Thread

I see something disrespectful to the performers. It's the BD staff, disrespecting the guard by putting them in those beyond hideous costumes.

No need to complain on behalf of the performers -- they can speak for themselves, and the smiles on their faces on and off the field speak volumes. Our issues aren't their issues, and we'd be doing them a disservice to confuse our feelings about the show, its props, its costumes, or whatever else, for their feelings on the same.

Ditto to Crown.

Can we move on?

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 7

No need to complain on behalf of the performers -- they can speak for themselves, and the smiles on their faces on and off the field speak volumes. Our issues aren't their issues, and we'd be doing them a disservice to confuse our feelings about the show, its props, its costumes, or whatever else, for their feelings on the same.

Ditto to Crown.

Can we move on?

Well said.

Now I'm really not sure how I feel about this show. It's not that I don't like it...it just feels like...I dunno. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I still like it. Ending right now leaves me a little flat, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for changes, early season, etc. It still reminds me of a late 90's BD show with modern BD sensibilities.

Still lovin' it. Can feel an angst about it (and which is apropos of much of Fellini's work). I agree, c.l., that there is something that doesn't quite work for me regarding the ending. The musical time change at the 11:20 mark seems undeveloped and forced, as does the final 10-15 seconds of closure -- almost seems like a "tack-on." However, that may very well be due to a less-than-optimal recording. All in all, this program still grabs me in a way the Crown's does not (but may very well do so by the end of the summer). I will also not be surprised if, at least at the beginning of the season, this show finds a slightly stronger crowd response than that of Crown.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

The opener sounds a lot like last years, same sort of development and themes

Looks like they are doing drill again, nice, looks good for June too; guard lacks integration in the forms though

Can’t really tell the props from the video, Is that a camera or a judge getting in the way?

Crown has influenced their brass, a few copy-cat moments, not a bad thing, opps a Bluecoat moment there…chairs, boxes, dice, again? Really? More Crown sound there…2007 field snake to 2012 backfield retreat is nice but can we get the chair box off the field, open it up, didn’t they do chair circle in 2009 (the contras w/whips)? Seeing a lot of the same aesthetics from BD these past couple of years

Overall, think I might like this show

Not sold on the guard yet, looks like another ‘look at me’, vamping, dance school, effect guard tacked onto the corps...props, we'll see?’…does everyone have to have props this years? Guessing the guard and props are the theme

It has a BD greatest hits of the past few years vibe combined with being very conscious of keeping up with the jones and copping other corps momments

And I’m not at all bothered by it’s complete lack of innovation, sort of like it that way