Blue Devils 2014 Thread

True but the fact that Goodwin isn't on the BD staff makes this a little different. It's an original piece written FOR them but it wasn't written BY one of them like the Downey charts mentioned.

Off topic a little but BDB actually has a bigger horn line this year. (2 more horn players) They are at full capacity of 150

I think that they have played some Wayne Downey original charts in the past. I am thinking early 80s... ?

Edit: Yeah, New York Fantasy (from 80 & 81) is listed as a Downey chart.

Second Edit: A New Beginning, the 83 Closer is also a Downey joint.

Cool - thanks for the effort in looking it up! I figured this couldn't be the very first time that they played an original piece, but I couldn't think of one off the top of my head, and then I couldn't find any (with a only a quick look) via corpsreps.
  • Like 1

True but the fact that Goodwin isn't on the BD staff makes this a little different. It's an original piece written FOR them but it wasn't written BY one of them like the Downey charts mentioned.

Off topic a little but BDB actually has a bigger horn line this year. (2 more horn players) They are at full capacity of 150

Yeah, having Gordon Goodwin write a piece for BD is a huge deal. Anybody who isn't very familiar with his music from his Big Phat Band should definitely check it out (not to mention that his music has been used in drum corps a number of times in the past). Being a trumpet player, I totally can appreciate the work that Wayne Bergeron does on lead for that band (and elsewhere, of course). I'm very much looking forward to hearing BD perform not just this piece, but the rest of the show too. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty exciting BD show all around this year!

Didn't mean to neglect the comment about the BDB horn line - that's awesome too! They're another great ensemble out of the BD family that consistently puts out a great product year in and year out.

Cool - thanks for the effort in looking it up! I figured this couldn't be the very first time that they played an original piece, but I couldn't think of one off the top of my head, and then I couldn't find any (with a only a quick look) via corpsreps.

Very welcome. In all honestly, I think that New York Fantasy is merely the fanfare at the beginning of the show, I don't know that it's actually a full chart. A New Beginning, however, certainly is a full tune (and one of my favorite BD closers, with my favorite "tag" ending).

What's up with the funky youtube title?

Also, I seriously can't believe I'm liking a BD show before the offseason after...

What's up with the funky youtube title?

Also, I seriously can't believe I'm liking a BD show before the offseason after...

I assume just to hide it from search. DCI + the corps are never happy when their stuff is easily viewable and searchable for free ;) Regardless, that video is bound to get taken down. It's a matter of time.