Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

• Yes
    • No

Personally I like the direction DCI has been going. Sure, I can do without narration but it's not the end of the world. I am seeing a lot of creative thingsgoing on and i think it is great!

I voted yes, but I would like to qualify my answer.

From an organizational standpoint, they do an excellent job. Shows are scheduled broadly to give exposure to a wide audience. DCI events are always organized and if you go to Indy especially, you see how organized and knowledgeable they are. Drum Line Challenge and Soundsport may or may not work, but it's an effort and one that is not costly.

As far as the direction of the activity, the corps directors really determine that and the folks employed by DCI make it happen. The directors decide how corps will be judged, what accounts for excellence, use of amplification, instrumentation, etc. So if people either like or dislike the direction of the corps, praise and accuse the corps, not DCI.

We also expect DCI to save drum corps, and while I wish it could, poor financial decisions, lack of judgment, or a lack of interest is not the fault of DCI, and quite frankly, if we did not have DCI as an umbrella organization, we probably would not have competitive drum corps today.

• Like 6

I voted no. Why:

In recent years, DCI has taken a turn for the worst. Allowing narration (exception: Crown '13) was a mistake. It doesn't work. Narration, I like. I think it adds to the creative ability of the show designers. But with DCI now allowing woodwinds, it makes me scared to think what's next in line. What is next, DCI?

DCI's hayday lasted a lot longer than a lot of organizations that I can think of (correct me if I'm wrong; I'm only 14), and that hayday is sadly coming to an end. What was once, proudly, "Drum and Bugle Corps," has now turned into ***I don't know what to call it***. Let's all get some wood to knock on and hope that DCI lasts half as long as it already has. But the sad truth is, I can't say that I honestly think that will happen. I'm sorry, DCI, but your future does not look good from here.

I voted no. Why:

In recent years, DCI has taken a turn for the worst. Allowing narration (exception: Crown '13) was a mistake. It doesn't work. Narration, I like. I think it adds to the creative ability of the show designers. But with DCI now allowing woodwinds, it makes me scared to think what's next in line. What is next, DCI?

DCI's hayday lasted a lot longer than a lot of organizations that I can think of (correct me if I'm wrong; I'm only 14), and that hayday is sadly coming to an end. What was once, proudly, "Drum and Bugle Corps," has now turned into ***I don't know what to call it***. Let's all get some wood to knock on and hope that DCI lasts half as long as it already has. But the sad truth is, I can't say that I honestly think that will happen. I'm sorry, DCI, but your future does not look good from here.

There are more than a few who would agree DCI has had its heyday, the debate would be what years. For me, it would be 1979-1989, though the year I was 14, 1977 was a great year.

If it is of any comfort, DCI does not allow woodwinds, at least not yet.

CORRECTION: My mistake; when I said "woodwinds" I meant "any brass instrument". Sorry for the confusion. *Shut up, dad.* I made a mistake. Cut me some slack. But you never know, woodwinds may be down the line.

This is trending towards a lot more negative than I would have suspected.

:tounge2:

When I am told that I ‘have’ to pick one of those two choices, but I see many things in DCI I find to be positive while I also see many other things in DCI I find to be negative, well… that creates a conundrum in which I cannot answer the question nor can I engage in discussion!

When I am told that I have to pick one of those two choices, but I see many things in DCI I find to be positive while I also see many other things in DCI I find to be negative, well that creates a conundrum in which I cannot answer the question nor can I engage in discussion!

And yet you still found a way? Edited by CCorps