Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

• Yes
    • No

Are we talking about DCI the activity or DCI the business?

Are we talking about DCI the activity or DCI the business?

DCI the business (I'm pretty sure anyway)

On the flip side, it's my understanding that the financial aspect involved with Finals in Indy are FAR more beneficial than cosmetic or acoustic detriments. Saying Indy is "boring to visit" is sort of irrelevant: most people would say Madison = DCI epitome of awesome, but there's not a lot (if anything) to do in Madison outside of going to DCI Finals & drinking

Let me expound on my comment - Indy is boring to visit for 10 years. I'd say the same if the show was anywhere year after year after year where for most people its has to be somewhat of a "vacation" and not just a day trip.

On the flip side, it's my understanding that the financial aspect involved with Finals in Indy are FAR more beneficial than cosmetic or acoustic detriments. Saying Indy is "boring to visit" is sort of irrelevant: most people would say Madison = DCI epitome of awesome, but there's not a lot (if anything) to do in Madison outside of going to DCI Finals & drinking

ok.....and?

:tounge2:

Let me expound on my comment - Indy is boring to visit for 10 years. I'd say the same if the show was anywhere year after year after year where for most people its has to be somewhat of a "vacation" and not just a day trip.

Yeah, that makes sense; and that's something that was a critique I had when this deal was first announced. Even Orlando, home of Disney World and a myriad other theme parks, felt stale after three years in the 90's. I guess IMO the financial benefits to DCI (and the potential stability of corps finding housing, though I don't know for certain if corps are consistently able to stay in the same sites) outweigh the perceived disappointments of fans traveling to Indy.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see DCI rotate every four years to: somewhere east, somewhere south, somewhere mid-west, somewhere west. Apparently that's not financially or logistically viable though

I thought that part of the ‘sweet deal’ DCI and BOA both had with making such a big multi-year contract with Indy was the allowance for acoustical engineers help design the plans for the Lucas Oil stadium. From what I was told, either the acoustical plans were ignored or their input was not sought at all when building the stadium. And 'if' that is true, that would seem to me as a possible breach of contract on the part of Indy.

Edited by Stu

I thought that part of the ‘sweet deal’ DCI and BOA both had with making such a big multi-year contract with Indy was the allowance for acoustical engineers help design the plans for the Lucas Oil stadium. From what I was told, either the acoustical plans were ignored or their input was not sought at all when building the stadium. And 'if' that is true, that would seem to me as a possible breach of contract on the part of Indy.

I don't think this is accurate at all, but I'm going to ask to verify.

The Oil Can people went to significant expense to hang those black tarps back field but, as I understand it, the acoustics of the stadium were designed to increase the thunderous goo because that goo goes well with football.

I've never heard that LOS agreed to allow consultation about acoustics in the engineering design of the stadium. Realistically, DCI's event is very small potatoes compared to hosting the Super Bowl.

But I'll inquire anyway...

Yeah, that makes sense; and that's something that was a critique I had when this deal was first announced. Even Orlando, home of Disney World and a myriad other theme parks, felt stale after three years in the 90's. I guess IMO the financial benefits to DCI (and the potential stability of corps finding housing, though I don't know for certain if corps are consistently able to stay in the same sites) outweigh the perceived disappointments of fans traveling to Indy.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see DCI rotate every four years to: somewhere east, somewhere south, somewhere mid-west, somewhere west. Apparently that's not financially or logistically viable though

Wouldn't a constant rotation have an impact on the overall tour and planning for the rest of the shows around the country?

Wouldn't a constant rotation have an impact on the overall tour and planning for the rest of the shows around the country?

Well sure, Mike, and I know you know this, but DCI seemed to do a pretty good job of that for many years. Their markets and availability of sites has changed, but I think they still know how to rotate the tour if they can secure the sites for major events.

I don't think the corps would like it, though, just in general.

Edited by garfield