Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

Cool idea that you should get to their ears soon. It's doable, but they'd need some great equipment to project an image bright enough to be shown in the day when the sun is blaring down.

That could be cool in the dome though. For me, that would be a neat idea.

Me thinks they already know.

:notify::bluedevil:

... It's doable, but they'd need some great equipment to project an image bright enough to be shown in the day when the sun is blaring down.

The sun would be instructed to go behind a cloud until each performance is concluded.

The sun would be instructed to go behind a cloud until each performance is concluded.

To be realistic, how often do the Devils end up performing duing the daylight hours? They are on at earliest, during the early evening.

Just another crazy thought that this may already be in their plans.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

To be realistic, how often do the Devils end up oerforming duing the daylight hours? They are on at earliest, during the early evening.

The sun could still be setting...there could be a wildfire in the distance...a meteor could be exploding over the horizon...any number of distractions. These will all be considered and worked into the show for maximum effect, just as Fellini would have done had he had access to such mundane devices as wildfires and meteors.

A local marching band did that this past fall to some pretty awesome effect (when everything was working perfectly, which wasn't always). It would be a challenge, but definitely not insurmountable.

Fun fact: the band director of the HS who did this was a BD alum from the early 90's

i've seen it in indoor...hit and miss. huge risk to take if it doesnt work

this to me, is the most accessible show description BD has had since Godfather. As long as you know what a movie is, you can relate.

To be realistic, how often do the Devils end up performing duing the daylight hours? They are on at earliest, during the early evening.

Yea, I already thought about that aspect too, but there are some early summer shows where they perform when it's light outside. I know they program for finals, but I try to look at many of the problems and make mitigation plans.

A thought just crossed my mind, inspired through a crossing and consideration of this thread with the "Individual Superstars" thread.

Should we always be acknowledging a single individual corps as being "innovative" as a whole? I'm sure there are cases where a specific corps may be seen as innovative, but only as a result of new and interesting creation in brass arranging, percussion writing, guard movement or staging, or overall show design. As we watch, for example, Cadets 1984, many of us sit and say "Wow!! What a drill design!!" (not to mention execution). Yes, for some (and I hope, most), extremely innovative, and ahead of it's time. But enough to mark the Cadets as "innovative" as an entity? Or am I, yet again, throwing a wet blanket over a nice fire? Just a thought that, as I said, crossed my mind...

A thought just crossed my mind, inspired through a crossing and consideration of this thread with the "Individual Superstars" thread.

Should we always be acknowledging a single individual corps as being "innovative" as a whole? I'm sure there are cases where a specific corps may be seen as innovative, but only as a result of new and interesting creation in brass arranging, percussion writing, guard movement or staging, or overall show design. As we watch, for example, Cadets 1984, many of us sit and say "Wow!! What a drill design!!" (not to mention execution). Yes, for some (and I hope, most), extremely innovative, and ahead of it's time. But enough to mark the Cadets as "innovative" as an entity? Or am I, yet again, throwing a wet blanket over a nice fire? Just a thought that, as I said, crossed my mind...

I believe that we should only acknowledge the specific aspect of a corps that is innovative. Is it the arranging or is it the drill? Is it the guard that is being innovative, or is it the percussion section? This is not the same thing as ragging on the rest of the corps, it's just acknowledging what is "innovative". I can see how some people would argue for acknowledging the entire corps for innovation, and when each section of the corps is simultaneously doing something innovative, I'm all for that. ...otherwise, I don't agree. And it's just the way that I parse information. It's also occurs to me that other people might not agree with me, and that they'll say that it takes every section working together to create an amazing moment of innovation.

I've read and heard comments here and all over that say things like: XYZ's brass is amazing, but their percussion is terrible, so they can't win music.

Another one of the many things I've read or heard over the years is "oh they have a kick ### percussion section that could win DCI if only the rest of their corps was in the top 5."

The other one that I've heard in the past is "their guard is so amazing that it's raising their visual scores and keeping them in the top 12".

It's just amazing to me that it seems that so many can not seem to separate an innovative section from a corps and recognize it for what it is. Why is it that each corps' caption score in today's DCI scoring system is mostly within a couple ordinals of one another? Isn't it possible that a corps could have the best guard, a good percussion section, and just an ok hornline?