Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

in the post I quoted, you only talked about 1,2, and 3

and of the 3, I felt 1 and 3 had shadings of 2 in there

yes it started tripping, but I really dont feel that the music took the backsat until 2002 Cavies

hmmmm back seat maybe not..equal seat way before 2002 I remember even DCA MATADORS BITD had an a #1 guard and a corps not worthy of finals YET they did , because of? I remember all the controversy and talk about it.

Edited by GUARDLING

in the post I quoted, you only talked about 1,2, and 3

and of the 3, I felt 1 and 3 had shadings of 2 in there

no i gave three really obvious counter example to everyone sounding alike. the fact that they medaled indicates that DCI is REWARDING folks who don't sound alike. had nothing to do with exclusive anything. in fact the thread went on to to indicate (at least for perc and me) there are at least 10 counterexamples.

homegenous smamogenous.

In the 70's, a lot of top corps had distinct sounding brass lines, if by distinct you mean bad.

Lol !!! Thanks for making my day ! You crack me up with this. !

Lol !!! Thanks for making my day ! You crack me up with this. !

Brasso, this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

no i gave three really obvious counter example to everyone sounding alike. the fact that they medaled indicates that DCI is REWARDING folks who don't sound alike. had nothing to do with exclusive anything. in fact the thread went on to to indicate (at least for perc and me) there are at least 10 counterexamples.

homegenous smamogenous.

That was me that named the 10 corps and their arrangers that I felt had unique sounds and then stated I thought I mentioned that the other corps kinda didn't; 10 out of 30 or 33 1/3% sounding different and 66 2/3 % sound similar enough that you can't tell them apart is variety? That's fairly Homogeneous percentage really, I was just trying to be positive in this OT side topic or I could have elaborate more.

I was thinking about starting a whole thread on this topic and going back to 1985 and comparing the variety of musical selections and sound from each year for fun, maybe come up with an objective scoring system and look at the arrangers for each corps each year, but then real life got in the way and now other things seem more interesting. Also it wouldn't really accomplish anything productive for the DCP, and I do try to contribute things that are at least thought provoking. Actually, it might prove the opposite of what I'd hope to show.

Unfortunately I don't get paid to post, so I'll probably pass. I think Ream makes some great points about the structure of shows making them sound more homogenized than before, and I also agree that 1 and 3 last year did borrow aspects from 2, which I guess would support BD being considered innovative when other corps copy their design choices.

Brasso, this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

............ I think we're at

least at INT. ( hope so anyway. )

In the 70's, a lot of top corps had distinct sounding brass lines, if by distinct you mean bad.

SCV won DCI in 1978 with a horn line that is a bit painful to listen to, due to the sopranos having a pinched, thin, overly-bright sound. Phantom that same year had a heavy, hammering quality in their middle and baritone voices. Madison in 78 sounds rather breathless much of the show.

Many corps back then got blatty, ragged and distorted when playing loudly. In the lower end of the top 12, horn lines struggled with clean articulation and simply playing in tune.

BD was kind of a miracle back in the 1970s in that they had a brass line that played with good intonation and in a musical style.

So do horn lines sound more the same these days? Sure, because they are all so much better than way back when. There are many ways to play badly, but only a few ways to play well.

I will trade perfection for excitement every freaking time.

I will trade perfection for excitement every freaking time.

...but you won't reply to my threads?