Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

I'm still a little confused as to why people feel BD is so innovative. I see their shows live every year, and I even do the required homework necessary to have a chance at understanding them. I just don't understand what is so incredibly innovative about their shows. Always well-performed, but innovative and changing the activity - why?

I get why someone would say the mirrors - they added another dimension through the mirrors that no one has ever done before (in addition to damaging grass on their practice field when someone didn't realize that a mirror reflects sunlight :)

Beyond the mirrors, what else is it that causes people to say that they are so incredibly innovative? The only other answer that I have ever gotten here on DCP in the past was staging. What exactly about staging makes them innovative and would make people say that they have never seen staging like that before?

I don't mean this as any sort of insult or anything, but artsy, weird shows don't necessarily make for innovation - and by now, their artsy, weird shows are starting to seem repetitive since they have been in that "mode" for a while now.

Again, well-performed - every year. Innovative - why?

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 2

I agree, Quad. Funny how sometimes there are those who will, simply because they don't perceive a question as personally relevant or legitimate, totally dismiss it's relevance across an entire community.

Anyone can do a show about a primal take on the Rite of Spring, but only the Blue Devils would research movement patterns of frightened deer to incorporate into the show. My point- it's the depth. These small things that go unnoticed to the untrained eye. Blue Devils performers are arguably the smartest in the activity and they are able to layer in these small details that make the performance very true to what they're trying to communicate. Every detail is done 110%.

• Like 2

I haven't seen anyone arguing that BD is particularly "innovative," as much as they are "avant garde" with their programming, and that this puts some people off.

From the "Blue Devils 2014" thread (and I don't by any means mean to single this person out, so name removed, since I have seen similar comments over the years):

"I agree completely! BD's show really are the ones who are breaking new ground in show design. And lord knows, I'm sure I'm going to garnish the warth of a lot of people for saying that. But they really are the only corps that I really get curious about what's going to be next."

For starters, I think Blue Devils are changing the traditional layout of "opener-drum feature-ballad-closer". They've replaced it with the idea of using the entire allotted time to convey what they want to convey. If their concept required an 8-minute drum break to close out with a ballad, I have very little doubt they'd do it.

Is this "innovative", per se? Maybe, maybe not. But it is different. And it is unique. And it completely sets them apart, regardless of whether you like their show or not.

My problem with them is that it's sometimes very hard to fully appreciate the amount of the depth they've added to the show. They're the primary reason I want designer commentary back on the blu-rays.

Funny. I remember when Cadets were called "innovative" and "avant guard".

Seems the title gets passed around. I wonder when Crown will be called the same.

This is BD's time, and I suspect they enjoy it.

Those to whom avant-guard is never good will always have a corps with which to be angry.

The nature of the beast, and title, I guess.

• Like 2