Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

One year they ran to their chair-dots, another year they ran to their mirror dots, then another year they ran to their house dots and last year they ran to their pole dots, that’s innovation !

So what will be their filed markers this year to run and align to?

Within their own context, I don’t find them innovative – rather same-same, predictable, each year builds on the last...sort of like their uniforms, basically the same thing with a minor tweak each year but not really that different

I will concede the "dots" and actually agree that it wasn't very "innovative" for drill. However, someone had to put those "dots" in the proper place each time they moved.

Just something to consider.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

One year they ran to their chair-dots, another year they ran to their mirror dots, then another year they ran to their house dots and last year they ran to their pole dots, that’s innovation !

Within their own context, I don’t find them innovative – rather same-same, predictable, each year builds on the last...sort of like their uniforms, basically the same thing with a minor tweak each year but not really that different

Oh, I agree with this completely, but musically they are innovative. Visually they are clean, but they do what they do visually and are similar from year to year on that front.

Edited by jjeffeory

I will concede the "dots" and actually agree that it wasn't very "innovative" for drill. However, someone had to put those "dots" in the proper place each time they moved.

Just something to consider.

yea that may be one side of it BUT of course one has to consider writing a show AROUND ALL THIS STUFF...not easy at all if you ever designed a show. NOT EASY

• Like 1

Every year the Cadets march from one dot to another with some straight lines and some curved shapes. Which shapes will they make this year?

See, with the right wording and careful omission of any actual information, you can make anyone sound like they aren't doing anything.

Blue Devils are innovative, both musically and visually. There isn't really any argument to the contrary that isn't just "I don't like the Blue Devils' shows, so nothing they do should be given any credit".

• Like 4

This is a statement that I believe most people can agreee with. While I still long for the day when BD was jazz, jazz and more jazz, you have to respect the books that come out of BD even if you don't like the concept.

On a separate note, innovation was not always the BD way. Those that were around in the late 70s early 80s can recall better than half of each show for several years was a repeat of the previous year from BD.

Yes, I have shown my age again.

:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Oh for crying out loud! EVERY corps did that back in those days. I guess you were just too much into the trendy chemical amusement aid of the 70's to remember that part.

Blue Devils are innovative, both musically and visually. There isn't really any argument to the contrary that isn't just "I don't like the Blue Devils' shows, so nothing they do should be given any credit".

Specifically why, though? I see their shows every year, and I never have used the argument that "I just don't like their shows so they're not innovative". I just want to know why people feel that they are (and there have been lots of good points in this thread so far, both for and against).

Specifically why, though? I see their shows every year, and I never have used the argument that "I just don't like their shows so they're not innovative". I just want to know why people feel that they are (and there have been lots of good points in this thread so far, both for and against).

I'll say it again ( it was earlier in the post ) imo , Innovative MAYBE with some things, different from others maybe more, I think people mix up innovative with different, from others

• Like 2