Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

I didn't consider it screaming when I saw it, nor do I consider the vocal protests a la the late 60's to be "narration". My definition of narration differs from yours, obviously.

I also did not take your comment to mean something intentional due to the design of the show, given your past comments on narration in general. If that corresponds to screaming to you, fine. I have no problem with intentional tone and volume if it fits the show, be it screamed into a bullhorn or whispered into a micc.

...,. Yes, without us being redundant, it's true we disagree that the use of a bullhorn and yelling at an audience thru the bullhorn is a form of screaming narration. I think the use of the bullhorn coupled with the subject matter of loud street protests does constitute a screaming version that you stated your neve heard of nor consider it a screaming version of narration

I have yet to hear one "screaming narrator". Yes, they do not sound like James Earl Jones, but very few people do.

if they added in the Darth Vader breathing I'd be a fan

They added a Jabba the Hutt esque laugh in 2007 so I guess a Vader breathing wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility

yeah but it would be legal now

This may have already been said, but one reason people feel BD is so innovative is the simple answer...because BD is so innovative.

• Like 4

I'm still a little confused as to why people feel BD is so innovative. I see their shows live every year, and I even do the required homework necessary by now, their artsy, weird shows are starting to seem repetitive since they have been in that "mode" for a while now.

- why?

Such negativity... BD is innovative because the DCI judges think so, and thats how DCI has always been judged. Its the judges that determine what is innovative and what is not.. not you, me, or anyone else.. Some fans think BD is innovative, and others like you don't think so... and you are entitled to that opinion too of course.

Edited by BRASSO

I have a conversation on the other BD 2014 thread regarding a possible innovation. What is the possibility of BD putting a live camera on the field and projecting it onto a screen with a live feed? That would truly be Felliniesque and very innovative.

I have a conversation on the other BD 2014 thread regarding a possible innovation. What is the possibility of BD putting a live camera on the field and projecting it onto a screen with a live feed? That would truly be Felliniesque and very innovative.

Me likey... 'sounds way better than the use of standard run of the mill home furniture as props, imo.

Cool idea that you should get to their ears soon. It's doable, but they'd need some great equipment to project an image bright enough to be shown in the day when the sun is blaring down.

That could be cool in the dome though. For me, that would be a neat idea.

A local marching band did that this past fall to some pretty awesome effect (when everything was working perfectly, which wasn't always). It would be a challenge, but definitely not insurmountable.

Fun fact: the band director of the HS who did this was a BD alum from the early 90's