DCI too expensive, Cancelled shows?

I see that DCI is starting to cancel shows on the schedule. Several are also marked as TBD. Has DCI priced themselves out of range for high schools to host a competition? The price is getting high and some schools just can't afford the host fee.

Here is a list of the shows so far:

July 6 - Dixon petunia Festival, Site to be determined

July 23 - TBD

July 24 - TBD

July 26 - TBD

July 29 - TBD

July 30 - Warrenton, VA (Cancelled)

July 31 - TBD

There may be other cancellations that I missed. Where do we go from here?

That depends on the show and circumstances. A few years back one well known long standing show was cancelled because the people who staffed the concession stands, sold tickets, etc. were getting older and the organization could not handle it. This was a civic organization and fewer younger members had nothing to do with drum corps. Some venues will not give permission for activities until the summer maintenance schedule is set in place and with the winter many of us endured, survived, or suffered with, take your pick, this probably added to the need for more maintenance. Some schools and colleges have athletic events all year long. Also insurance costs and liability issues have increased the rent of some facilities.

My guess is that all the TBD shows are local shows that DCI "sanctions" rather than runs, so there could be many factors. Now if Allentown, Atlanta, Minneapolis, San Antonio, or finals for OC and WC are either TBD or cancelled, then DCI has major problems.

Edited by Tim K

Are any of these shows cancelled? Maybe they are merely "site to be determined" until a contract is signed for the venue. It does not surprise me to see several such situations, given how many schools decide to install new turf over the summer.

Are any of these shows cancelled? Maybe they are merely "site to be determined" until a contract is signed for the venue. It does not surprise me to see several such situations, given how many schools decide to install new turf over the summer.

I know that the Warrenton, VA show host cancelled and DCI was scrambling for a host. This weekend, they took the show off the schedule. That means no show in the Washington, DC metro area.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

I see that DCI is starting to cancel shows on the schedule. Several are also marked as TBD. Has DCI priced themselves out of range for high schools to host a competition? The price is getting high and some schools just can't afford the host fee.

Here is a list of the shows so far:

July 6 - Dixon petunia Festival, Site to be determined

July 23 - TBD

July 24 - TBD

July 26 - TBD

July 29 - TBD

July 30 - Warrenton, VA (Cancelled)

July 31 - TBD

There may be other cancellations that I missed. Where do we go from here?

I think without knowing any specifics as to why these shows are cancelled or still not 100% announced where they'll be, it is impossible to speculate. As others mentioned it could be any number of things from local show hosts "dropping the ball" (to put it waaaaay broad; I don't mean to imply anything negative regarding any show hosts), to sites being under construction or something and unable to host a show this year, to other issues that have zero to do with DCI.

The Warrenton cancellation really upsets me. Northern Virginia is already deprived of any sort of nearby drum corps activity. I'll have to see if I can make it to Allentown now.

If a show gets cancelled, it's often not anything to do with DCI.

School boards, facilities, issues with the group planning the show, whether it's a school or independent groups are often the reason.

There used to be a show in Illinois at a local high school and it was the band parents association, even though I am sure some would blame DCI.

There are a long list of reasons, and I am sure the easy way to talk about it on DCP is that its DCI, but check facts.

• Like 1

The Warrenton cancellation really upsets me. Northern Virginia is already deprived of any sort of nearby drum corps activity. I'll have to see if I can make it to Allentown now.

Well, we (Shenandoah Sound, Northern Virginia's drum corps) are hosting a DCA show on Saturday July 5 in Manassas at Freedom HS. More details on our website as we get closer to the event. We've been hosting our show for years.

• Like 1

yeah when local shows go down, it's really not anything DCI did. I mean Hershey ran a mixed DCi/DCA show for 20 or so years....and then that got pulled because of issues with Hershey, not DCI or DCA. In fact it put the promoter out of business though it took another 6 years to finally shut it all down

All that being said, the host contract IS extremely expensive, and has to be paid up front, with no kickback if your show is canceled due to rain or whatever. It's very scary for organizations to take on, especially new organizations who have never hosted a show before. The other kicker is that for "local" sites (i.e., not DCI weekend shows), the local host is the person responsible for finding corps housing, which is also quite a difficult task.

It may be that the price of the host contract is becoming too much for schools to handle. Even a small Open Class show can cost upwards of $8000-$10000 just for the contract. World Class shows demand 2-3x that much. And it all has to be paid prior to the show even happening.