Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

hey, here's maybe a silly question...............is there anywhere to see the show designers interviews/descriptions of their show designs from last night? I know the corps VOD's are up, but was hoping to show the explanations to my wife (who couldn't make it to the theater with me.

I think it is a good idea except...the interviews from LAST NIGHT are the ones you would want? :blink:

truly, just the show descriptions......or design intent, etc.

ok but....let's be real here.

if someone was new to judging on the local band level and did this, they'd get their ##### handed to them and rightfully so. if you judging at the DCI level, then my god, #### like this should be a no brainer.

if DCi were to call me and say "come judge", the first night hell yes I'd be nervous. But i'd sure as hell have my numbers in a row and have commentary to back myself up. I'm hoping his commentary was good.

I think I am missing something - what did the judge in question do? or not do?

They did something like that for the Atlanta show in 2009 and put it on the FN. I thought it was brilliant. I wonder why they haven't done it since.

That was definitely one of my favorite 'experiments' from FN and it's a bummer they don't have that anymore. While I love FN, and don't have any complaints per say, it seems like DCI/its member corps are really missing out on opportunities to either please fans or make additional money. For example:

* designer commentaries; they could be used as maybe bonus "tracks" or videos that DCI can charge more money for (like put the standard shows on VOD, but charge a per-show fee if someone wants to download a video with designer commentary). Corps could offer this themselves and probably make some extra money.

* judge tapes. Now that DCI does all of that digitally (i.e. no actual tapes/CD's just digital files) it would be very minimal effort to upload judge tapes on line and sell as an mp3 'track.' Again, corps could choose to do that on their own.

Of course, DCI can do all this for free and just give us more content. Either way, I think it's something that would add value with easy-to-add/minimal work on DCI's part. To be honest a lot of corps do stuff like this for their own social media (like Crown's interviews on the preview, or stuff Cadets do), but DCI putting that type of stuff on FN in a centralized location seems like it would be minimal work.

There's still the background battle going on for DCI's soul, and none of a certain number of corps are going to give the FN free content if they can help it. Surprisingly, those corps have yet to agree on a viable alternative. Cadets use one storefront, BD developed their own, Crown their own, Cavis tried Viddler for a year, etc.

Mike

Your opinion is welcome, but I think the narrator is doing exactly what Copland's Lincoln Portrait called for. I, personally, wish the narrator was dressed to look like George Washington, but I know some would hate that too. And as far as the narrator being distracting I just don't see that. I think it's a common misconception that when someone is talking that somehow we are missing something on the field. No. It doesn't work like that. The music that is scored underneath his narration is done so with the intent to enhance the words. The music on the field doesn't ALWAYS have to be the main focus. Not one of the narrations last longer than 15 to 20 seconds, and I believe two things can happen at the same time and still be effective.

Would it be fair to say that this you believe? heh heh