Fan Network 2014-2015?

The DVR-style playback was a GREAT change recently. That really takes the frustrations out for the most part, knowing that if there are issues or something I can watch it later, or even watch the shows after-the-fact when I know there aren't thousands of people potentially slamming a weak local show site server.

Good point.. as its a nice feature, imo

Respectfully snipped...

... but I do wish there was an option to pay more for a higher-definition stream.

This has (recently) been my main wish for Finals/FN: as a stand-alone option...

Edited by gak27

It will be pay-per-view again.

Price has not been announced, but schedule is listed in the latest issue of the DCI online magazine.

Shows you how long I've been away. :)

I tested the HLS (iPhone) encodes. Basically, you won't notice much difference. However, I'll say this 100 times over -- be on WiFi! First person with a thousand-dollar mobile bill for streaming a show, I'm just going to laugh. :)

The whole 5.1 thing may be a bit overrated for DCI, hence that all the audio takes place in front of you! As far as delay goes, that is the effect of the dome which most of us would agree is the worst environment for a drum corps show.

For the record, I'm right there with you. I know many consumers want the in-stand experience, but for me I am quite happy with two shotguns hanging over the 35's. That position actually sounds better than any seat in the stadium. The post-show mixes of 5.1 are done with the video editing in mind - being able to hear solos, and being a little bit more directionally separated. It makes sense when paired with the video, but it's also why the CDs sound a bit narrower in general (not always). The CDs are mastered with a 2-channel format in mind, while the 5.1 is mastered to enhance the video presentation. It's actually amazing how different those outcomes can be, as the two teams work toward the same goal. It goes to show how visual our hearing can be.

Anyhow, the season approaches. Time for Year 2 of detox. Good luck to all. :)

For the record, I'm right there with you. I know many consumers want the in-stand experience, but for me I am quite happy with two shotguns hanging over the 35's. That position actually sounds better than any seat in the stadium. The post-show mixes of 5.1 are done with the video editing in mind - being able to hear solos, and being a little bit more directionally separated. It makes sense when paired with the video, but it's also why the CDs sound a bit narrower in general (not always). The CDs are mastered with a 2-channel format in mind, while the 5.1 is mastered to enhance the video presentation. It's actually amazing how different those outcomes can be, as the two teams work toward the same goal. It goes to show how visual our hearing can be.

Anyhow, the season approaches. Time for Year 2 of detox. Good luck to all. :)

i havent had any issues with the sound except often it doesnt pick up the vocal stuff coming from the amps. it wasnt until i saw mandarins live that I understoof any of the vocals

We're almost there. What is your guess on the new price?

I am going with a hopeful $79.99

We're almost there. What is your guess on the new price?

I am going with a hopeful $79.99

I get the BR too, so I have no idea what they're going to charge for the deluxe mega package...

This has (recently) been my main wish for Finals/FN: as a stand-alone option...

There was. it was like $50

I agree, there's some really loaded ones with solely Open Class later in the season that I'd love to see.

In particular, it would be nice for the FN to include the So Cal Classic Open Class Championship (in Bellflower on July 13), featuring Blue Devils B, Blue Devils C, City Sound, Gold, Golden Empire, Impulse, Incognito, Vanguard Cadets, and Watchmen. Only three of those corps will go on to the Midwest tour and O.C. championships (which has traditionally been available on the FN), making this the best opportunity to see the other six at their peak for the season.

Of course, it would be nice to be able to see Columbians, Eruption, and Louisiana Stars as well, but as those corps appear at only a handful of shows each, and never with so many other corps, it's understandable that the odds are against their making the FN, and we'll probably have to make due with youtube posts by their fans.

Since the current FN subscriptions expire tomorrow, I guess we'll find out more soon.

Well subscriptions have now expired. Just tried to log on and watch some shows but was denied because my account has expired. It is hard to believe that after 8 years of the fan network DCI still can't present to drum corps fans their plans for the upcoming season before the last seasons subscriptions are over. I still don't think DCI understands they are a real company that should be able to provide a basic service to their fans and paying customers.

• Like 2