Fan Network 2014-2015?

Sure there is.

Let's say a show from 1985 in a teen-place was all public domain. Now you're playing favorites (perceived) by which you didn't put up all the 1990s teen place shows. Or, let's say only 15 seconds of many shows were not pubdom. Is it fair to not post those because they don't have the resources to edit those? Is it worth the complaints of incomplete/edited shows? And what if you're incorrect that a show in fact wasn't pubdom? How many thousands of dollars will that cost to fix?

Again, where there's a will, there's a way, but there are also reasons... like them or not.

Also, lets talk about other costs involved: time/effort/resources. It takes a paid person to go through the archives, do the research of what is exactly cleared for all rights and what isn't, upload video, etc. Is that expense worth it? Are there enough people who are currently not FN subscribers who would definitively join FN just because adding Glassmen 96 is now available (pulled that name out of thin air)? I would be not.

What I'm getting at, is that the situation is likely far more complicated than most of us think it is and there is no easy solution that would satisfy all.

• Like 1

Sure there is.

Let's say a show from 1985 in a teen-place was all public domain. Now you're playing favorites (perceived) by which you didn't put up all the 1990s teen place shows. Or, let's say only 15 seconds of many shows were not pubdom. Is it fair to not post those because they don't have the resources to edit those? Is it worth the complaints of incomplete/edited shows? And what if you're incorrect that a show in fact wasn't pubdom? How many thousands of dollars will that cost to fix?

Again, where there's a will, there's a way, but there are also reasons... like them or not.

DCI doesn't care about fair now, so why would they about this? It would be an opportunity to add some more value to the fan network. Also, this doesn't cover the early season shows that they take out.

Edited by jjeffeory

Also, lets talk about other costs involved: time/effort/resources. It takes a paid person to go through the archives, do the research of what is exactly cleared for all rights and what isn't, upload video, etc. Is that expense worth it? Are there enough people who are currently not FN subscribers who would definitively join FN just because adding Glassmen 96 is now available (pulled that name out of thin air)? I would be not.

What I'm getting at, is that the situation is likely far more complicated than most of us think it is and there is no easy solution that would satisfy all.

This is exactly what I was thinking of would be the real reason that they wouldn't want to do this, when in fact, a passionate person would happily go into the archive and earmark stuff like this.

I can go to corpsreps right now and see everything that was in these shows and see what's in PD. I dunno, I'm not trying to be difficult, just saying.

My point is that copyright is "the" go to excuse given on here for when something like this is brought up, and it may or may not be the issue, or it may be something else.

Doesn't matter, copyright is just the easiest thing to get people to be quiet.

it's actually not just a shut up and go away type of line. the cost can be significant. and the return on the investment is minimal

That does essentially remove his music from the activity nowadays. But it has little effect on recordings from back when corps were allowed to play his music. John Williams cannot go back in time and stop Madison and North Star from playing Star Wars in 1978.

Once it is out there, the rights to obtain streaming and mechanical licenses are guaranteed by law. Synchronization licensing is different, but that only affects video hard copies/downloads.

sure he can. if he finds out someone is using it without permission, he can sue. in a battle of legal fees, who wins...Williams or DCI?

DCI doesn't care about fair now, so why would they about this? It would be an opportunity to add some more value to the fan network. Also, this doesn't cover the early season shows that they take out.

for $69 a year, what they give you isn't enough with the archives posted and all of the live feeds and VOD???

• Like 1

it's actually not just a shut up and go away type of line. the cost can be significant. and the return on the investment is minimal

Obviously the ROI is minimal if people subscribe anyway. I'm not subscribing this year,

The purpose of FN is ONLY about ROI. It's also about saving the recordings for the future. That's how the history of the activity is saved for the future record.

I understand the business aspect. CAN be significant and ARE significant aren't the same. This could be a side project for someone to find out what it would be. Happens all the time in the regular corporate world.

I mean, DCI doesn't operate to make money; they operate to serve their members corps. Which I guess if the top 12 at finals are the members corps, then mission accomplished.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I simply believe that someone could actually look into seeing what's in the public domain, and put what's in PD on. Maybe they don't want to know? Maybe they've already done this?

I dunno.

Edited by jjeffeory

for $69 a year, what they give you isn't enough with the archives posted and all of the live feeds and VOD???

I pay $170 a year ( or whatever the most expensive option is) and also get the Bluray. ....or I have every year except this year.

People keep telling us on here if we don't like the current shows, then watch FN. Well some of my favorite shows aren't on there. Maybe they didn't make finals.

Edited by jjeffeory

I'm not trying to be difficult. I simply believe that someone could actually look into seeing what's in the public domain, and put what's in PD on. Maybe they don't want to know? Maybe they've already done this?

I dunno.

Thinking of what has been played since my time and wondering how much would be in public domain. Where's Gary Matczak at as he's dealt with this in the Mini corps world....

• Like 1

Is this 100% legally true? I can appropriate any video w/out securing necessary copyright permission, post it on a subscription website, charge people, and that's legal because the video was made decades ago? I'm not saying you're wrong, and I may be misstating things, but are you sure that "once it's out there, streaming & mechanical licenses are guaranteed by law?

These licenses are specific in their scope, so no, you cannot do what you describe.

For example, mechanical license is compulsory once the copyright holder of the music has released their version of the work in a sound recording. But you cannot just take his recording and copy it. Both the recording and the music contained in it have separate rights attached.