Loudest/Largest contra line in DCI history?

What year and which corps had the loudest contra line? The largest?

Largest is probably Madison's 20 contras from a few years back. Loudest? No idea, depends on if it's louder in a feature or within the ensemble.

Largest is Madison's 20, as mentioned above. Loudest wouldn't be a label I'd necessarily want as a contra player. Most of the loudest lines I've heard have been blatty.

Lines like '07 Bluecoats project extremely well and are staged effectively to be both heard and felt. That's the ideal situation on the low end.

Madison's 20 could be barely heard when the synths were playing.

• Like 2

Crowns Contras always have a huge presence on the field as do Bluecoats. Loud and brass makes me think of Colts 97, entertaining and loud but wow not the quality of sound desired.

The thunderous goo is the winna hands down. The synthesized gooeyness can take down any acoustic contra line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thunderous goo is the winna hands down. The synthesized gooeyness can take down any acoustic contra line.

If there's one thing I whole heartedly agree with whatever Era of drum corps you come from, it's this. There's a few recordings I can think of that I don't listen to because it's so loud and covering up stuff. I mean, If you have upwards of 16 Contras, why the hell do you "need to fill out the lower end of the sound" blah blah. Anyway, I don't want to get an argument started there, so disregard that.

Listening to some shows, maybe not the loudest, but Bluecoats in 2009 and 2010 specifically had some very hot Contra lines, at least to this percussionists untrained brass ear.

Edited by DrumManTx

I think Music city had 18 contras in 2011, but they didnt stick out of the ensemble.

Largest is probably Madison's 20 contras from a few years back. Loudest? No idea, depends on if it's louder in a feature or within the ensemble.

Largest: 2011 Madison Scouts ( 20 )

Loudest : ( subjective ) I'd go with 1992 Star of Indiana if proper tone quality is likewise factored in.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2