2014 uniforms

I'm bored with the way the Cadets look. There now you've heard someone say it. I've said it before too and I truly mean it.

Wow. This rapidly attracted several likes. Personally I absolutely love the cadet look. It somehow always looks fresh to me all over again; I don't know how they do that. I think in part it's because all the other uniforms change so much; the cadets are the rock of the activity.

True it doesn't always fit with the show idea, but this year it does.

• Like 2

Wow. This rapidly attracted several likes. Personally I absolutely love the cadet look. It somehow always looks fresh to me all over again; I don't know how they do that. I think in part it's because all the other uniforms change so much; the cadets are the rock of the activity.

True it doesn't always fit with the show idea, but this year it does.

I agree, it works well with their show this year. I still find their uniform to be stale, however.

• Like 1

tumblr_n78zm0Ri101svh635o1_1280.jpgThis year I'm calling Crown, The Turquoise Trouser Troup! or T3 (BTW very funny picture)

Sop_section.jpgThis! Is Classic Blue Devils! There is nothing " Classic" about this years modern costumes.

It wasn't classic then.

Now we associate it with all that they have done. Here's an experiment; show this photo and the new one to several strangers to drum corps. Get their preference. Probably 50/50.

Another thing: I like associating the classic look here with the classic shows they did. If they used this uniform in the modern weird shows, that would interfere with that sense of history for me personally. To each era of show design a uniform style to complement it.

• Like 2

This! Is Classic Blue Devils! There is nothing " Classic" about this years modern costumes.

It's only classic because that's the way you (and me) and many others were introduced to them. But there have been entire generations of drum corps fans that grew up in the activity long after those uniforms were retired. That's not to say it's a bad look, but let's be honest. It IS very dated.

Just like this...

MarkBolger1970s_PromPhoto.jpg

Classic is a relative term. Many folks might look at those uniforms now and laugh, like looking at the silly prom picture above. I mean really, I can't think of many people who would insist on wearing a tuxedo like that to a wedding today just because it may at one time 30 or so years ago have been considered "classic."

I'd prefer to call those old Devils uniforms vintage. They were right for the times, but the times have changed. And if there's one thing the Blue Devils have remained remarkably consistent with through the years, it's staying on the cutting edge of what the activity's doing and where it's going. Often leading the way in the process.

Classic style is a design that has stood the test of time because it is flattering on almost everyone and is never out of style.

Vintage style is usually a classic design that is accessorized in such a way that it hints at a specific period of fashion from a bygone era.

One could make an argument that all vintage style is classic as well, but not all classic style is retro. I would also like to point out that even though by definition a classic style is not trendy, every now and again something that is considered classic becomes uber trendy.

It's really not a big deal! I just hope BD and all the corps entertain the @#$% out of me this year!

Classic style is a design that has stood the test of time because it is flattering on almost everyone and is never out of style.

Vintage style is usually a classic design that is accessorized in such a way that it hints at a specific period of fashion from a bygone era.

One could make an argument that all vintage style is classic as well, but not all classic style is retro. I would also like to point out that even though by definition a classic style is not trendy, every now and again something that is considered classic becomes uber trendy.

It's really not a big deal! I just hope BD and all the corps entertain the @#$% out of me this year!

Well considering those old BD uniforms aren't flattering at all, I'd say they're more vintage than classic.

• Like 1

If I have nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

However, with respect to some corps (and their shows for that matter), I am reminded of the old tale:

emperors-new-clothes-john-louise-book-co

It would be fun for a corps (SCV, maybe) to do an Emperor's New Clothes show, with lots of hinting before the season about the "reveal uniform".