2014 uniforms

I have to say, I am actually in a sense offended by Phantom's uniform this season. Even with Crown's resent venture towards purple pants, at the end of the day, you can still call it a uniform. Phantom has made the decision to literally take their uniforms off only to reveal a costume underneath.

I usually consider myself a pretty progressive DCI fan, choosing to take the "get over it" approach to changes good and bad. With that being said, we are clearly on the road away from uniforms and towards costumes. This is an issue that delves deeper than personal tastes. This is an issue that will ultimately erase identities of corps that have been around for decades.

This activity thrives on its rich history. You don't hear kids say "I joined the Cadets for their lack of history." Many kids join certain corps because of their history alone. Unfortunately, if this trend continues, in a decade or so you will have no idea who is taking the field unless you have a program in your hands. That would be nothing less than a tragedy.

With the recent overhaul in so many uniforms this season, I ask myself, "What was wrong with the way you looked before?" What was so wrong with Crown being cream, or Blue Stars having cross straps? Why the sudden need to erase the identities that have been in the making for longer than I have been alive? I have never heard anyone say they are bored with the way the Cadets look, or be mad because a corps chose to keep its original colors. Is this nothing more than directors trying to leave their own mark on their corps no matter the cost?

I am well aware that I am being dramatic and pessimistic. Heck, most corps have managed to maintain their identities even through uniform changes. But I am telling you that change is the only consistent, but most of the time you see reluctance towards change. For some reason directors seem to be running towards change these days.

Let's meet up in 10 years and see who you can still recognize.

I'm bored with the way the Cadets look. There now you've heard someone say it. I've said it before too and I truly mean it.

• Like 4

I have to say, I am actually in a sense offended by Phantom's uniform this season. Even with Crown's resent venture towards purple pants, at the end of the day, you can still call it a uniform. Phantom has made the decision to literally take their uniforms off only to reveal a costume underneath.

I usually consider myself a pretty progressive DCI fan, choosing to take the "get over it" approach to changes good and bad. With that being said, we are clearly on the road away from uniforms and towards costumes. This is an issue that delves deeper than personal tastes. This is an issue that will ultimately erase identities of corps that have been around for decades.

This activity thrives on its rich history. You don't hear kids say "I joined the Cadets for their lack of history." Many kids join certain corps because of their history alone. Unfortunately, if this trend continues, in a decade or so you will have no idea who is taking the field unless you have a program in your hands. That would be nothing less than a tragedy.

With the recent overhaul in so many uniforms this season, I ask myself, "What was wrong with the way you looked before?" What was so wrong with Crown being cream, or Blue Stars having cross straps? Why the sudden need to erase the identities that have been in the making for longer than I have been alive? I have never heard anyone say they are bored with the way the Cadets look, or be mad because a corps chose to keep its original colors. Is this nothing more than directors trying to leave their own mark on their corps no matter the cost?

I am well aware that I am being dramatic and pessimistic. Heck, most corps have managed to maintain their identities even through uniform changes. But I am telling you that change is the only consistent, but most of the time you see reluctance towards change. For some reason directors seem to be running towards change these days.

Let's meet up in 10 years and see who you can still recognize.

Great post. I agree 100%.

10450064_10152307281183145_4199821765238Here they are! The BD uniforms in action

I like these. Very Blue Devlish. A blend of modern and classic. Slicker and less thick looking than the last few years.

I love the blue stripe in the plume. That said, it looks like it would magnify the slightest variations in posture.

I like these. Very Blue Devlish. A blend of modern and classic. Slicker and less thick looking than the last few years.

I love the blue stripe in the plume. That said, it looks like it would magnify the slightest variations in posture.

Just wanted to say that I love your signature.

• Like 1

B3Y8NZM.jpg

Maybe it's just a combination of pre-season working out the kinks/new uniform stuff and how still pictures reveal what the human eye often misses, but: I hope that PR can avoid performances that have bare upper arms partially exposed prior to the complete sleeve removal. Like these trumpets. Kinda a mish mash of appearance.

Interested to see this in action at NIU next month.

• Like 1

Sop_section.jpgThis! Is Classic Blue Devils! There is nothing " Classic" about this years modern costumes.

• Like 1