Time to eat some crow

Cavaliers 2011 XtraordinarY: I found this uninspired on first viewing, but on second viewing it was amazing. It is now one of my go-to shows. It's just great drum corps. What I don't understand is what I didn't like about it before. What's not to love?

With you 100% on this one. Great use of Bach woven throughout (same tune also used by Academy that year).

I'd add 1996 BD. Someone else mentioned that BD shows grow on you over time, like a rash (I'm paraphrasing). None more for me that 96 - really weird show musically at the time, but very tame by today's standards.

Another is 1994 Colts. I listened to that show a few times back in 94 and thought it was cheesy. Now, I realize the genius of Chuck Naffier all the more.

Cavies 11.....at first i thought it was all of the gimmicks they didnt use in 2010.

Crown 99....early on, I just didnt like it. By finals I loved it.

I almost forgot another show I was initially wrong on and later had to eat some crow with:

2012 Jersey Surf's show.... " Bridgemania "

... I had convinced myself ... that it would become a dud with national coast to coast audiences.

Glad you came to like it. The show was quite popular in San Antonio, but a week later in Atlanta, the crows reaction was spectacular.

• Like 1

Glad you came to like it. The show was quite popular in San Antonio, but a week later in Atlanta, the crows reaction was spectacular.

Atlanta may have been spectacular, but Allentown was sublime. I have never seen that many people in the stands for the first show of a big regional. They were there for Surf, and boy did Surf deliver. It was a special moment, one that I was lucky enough to view from field level (I was in Bridgemen Alumni that year and we were in the end zone watching the show).

As far as my crow eating, the list is long and distinguished. From recent years, I was not a fan of Crown's use of narration in the ballad last year and railed against it. Now, I would say that the ballad is incomplete without the narration.

I really, really didn't like BD 2012 upon the first few viewings, but by the end of the year it was my favorite show of 2012 (barely edging out Crown and Surf).

I also hated Cadets in 2005. I mean hated, with the heat of a white-hot sun, mainly because of the drum speak and other vocals. That said, by the time I saw them perform live at Finals, I knew that I was seeing something truly special.

I would also like to mention the "competitive blinders" that I had when I was marching back in the day. We would have some serious contempt for the corps that were beating us, especially the ones who were were close to points-wise. Because of that, there were several shows in the late 80s that I never really watched or enjoyed until years later.

• Like 1

Atlanta may have been spectacular, but Allentown was sublime. I have never seen that many people in the stands for the first show of a big regional. They were there for Surf, and boy did Surf deliver. It was a special moment, one that I was lucky enough to view from field level (I was in Bridgemen Alumni that year and we were in the end zone watching the show).

What I loved about Allentown 2012 was Surf's returning the favor, standing in the end zone when you (Brighemen Alumni) performed and then ran on the field to join in an encore. One of those great "you had to be there" moments.

• Like 1

Cavaliers 2011 XtrordinarY (or whatever) -- I thought it was bizarre and not much more, but it grew on me, especially the middle piece.

I also give more credit recently to Blue Devils 2010 Through A Glass Darkly, especially musically.

This is probably the case for a lot of people, but also Star 1993. For a while, I skipped it a lot on my music player shuffle, but I came to love it.

I'll agree that BD does often get better with age/distance.

I'll agree that BD does often get better with age/distance.

Yes... and even the further back we go, generally the older BD music sounds better and better all the time.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yes... and even the further back we go, generally the older BD music sounds better and better all the time.

I agree. With the old shows, if you put on the video and turn the volume off, you'd have pretty much zero chance of getting anyone interested.

But just play the music without explanation and you'll get, "These guys are pretty good" from people without even knowing this is not a professional group, just a bunch of kids on their summer vacation.

This works well with Suncoast Sound 1983, for example.

• Like 1

I agree. With the old shows, if you put on the video and turn the volume off, you'd have pretty much zero chance of getting anyone interested.

I agree with this as well. Even today, if we did DCI video shows with no music you'd have pretty much zero chance of getting anyone interested. I mean, without any music heard, nobody wants to see 150 amateur youthful mimes doing unusually odd physical movements on a football field. ( at least I don't think so anyway. )

Edited by BRASSO