Time to eat some crow

Cadets 2007 This I Believe: Yes, the talk was annoying at first. But at some point something clicked in my brain that if a corps experiments one time with actual members of the corps explaining their perspectives to the audience (using these scary new-fangled speaker thingys) maybe I can support that. And the last guy was so good it made the experiment totally worth it.

• Like 1

I almost forgot another show I was initially wrong on and later had to eat some crow with:

2012 Jersey Surf's show.... " Bridgemania "

When I first heard in the offseason that they were going to do a retro show in a tribute to the Bridgemen, I had convinced myself that this idea was fraught with danger, and that the show music and tribute would become a potential laughingstock with most modern day Drum Corps fans... too cheesy, and to backward looking, and that it would become a dud with national coast to coast audiences. But boy was I wrong,( and glad to have been later shown so ) as their show, despite its placement, was a big hit in 2012 with fans. JS put their own unquie spin on the show tribute, and thus it was not a rehash, It had the look and feel of freshness, and JS filled the air with well needed comic relief . This was quite a daring departure for Jersey Surf too, as their 2012 production was unlike anything else they had done before, as even their unforms were completely different than before. They took a chance.. but it worked for most Drum Corps audiences in 2012... and as a result,I had to eat some crow on my 2012 preseason thinking that I wouldn't like the show and that it wouldn't work with the DCI audiences of 2012 either once that show hit the field. But Man, was I ever wrong on this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Eat some crow? Jeesh, I'm not sure. I guess I've never seen a show that I hated. Some have mellowed like fine wine, but I usually see something I didn't at first, or forgot,

I will say that I've learned as I've mellowed to not judge BD's shows in early season. I've also learned that listening to source music is helpful, but chart style these days doesn't give me a chance to tap my toe when I recognize the source tunes.

Crown '13 touched me like few have, and more than but a few, and I love rooting for the underdog anyway. I should eat my own crow for not having started paying attention to them until the mid-2000's. I'm glad you guys were wrong about Crown, but I sure don't need the vindication to enjoy that performance.

I find it so unique that the level of entertainment in drum corps increases with time. Through the season or for years after, it's enjoyable. I guess I've never hated a corps and just focused my memory on what I enjoy of what they did. There's always something.

About the only thing I'll eat crow on is falling into the crowd of haters of Star, and how they got started. The memories of hearing myself think "...they bought their way in. They didn't earn it.", really, haunt me to this day. I now realize I should have focused on their incredible shows and ignored their genesis. Oh how I wish today that we had new corps who "bought their way in". If I had the money, I'd buy in without second thought. Bill Cook was a God of our activity like none other. I wish we had a hundred of him today.

Other than that, most of my memories of shows is fun stuff. Not a drop of hate in me that I can ever remember.

Cool thread, though.

• Like 3

I almost forgot another show I was initially wrong on and later had to eat some crow:

2012 Jersey Surf's show.... " Bridgemania "

When I first heard in the offseason that they were going to do a retro show in a tribute to the Bridgemen, I had convinced myself that this idea was fraught with danger, and that the show music and tribute would become a potential laughingstock with most modern day Drum Corps fans... too cheesy, and to backward looking, and that it would become a dud with national coast to coast audiences. But boy was I wrong,( and glad to have been later shown so ) as their show, despite its placement, was a big hit in 2012 with fans. JS put their own unquie spin on the show tribute, and thus it was not a rehash, It had the look and feel of freshness, and JS filled the air with comic relief 2 seasons ago . This was quite a daring dearture for Jersey Surf too, as their 2012 production was unlike anything else they had done before, as even their unforms were completely different than before. They took a chance.. but it worked for most Drum Corps audiences in 2012... and I had to eat some crow on that previous thinking that it wouldn't work with DCI audiences of 2012.

I'm so glad to read this.

As you come to know Bob Jacobs, you realize that the bolded above is not in the least out of character.

And when you realize that all that fun and freshness and comic relief comes from kids who tour only part of the season, you come to know Surf.

I'm pretty sure Surf will entertain me every year. That's more consistency than I can say of a lot of corps.

Not quite sure what to say at this point. it was just a comment.

Aw come on you definitely know where he was going with his comment, no need to play dumb. What show(s) have you eaten crow on?

2008 Cavaliers... " Samurai " .... I thought it was just ok at the time, didn't do much for me, but now that I watch and listen to it since then, the uniqueness of the show, particularly in the Percussion playing and the Visuals, takes it now to a whole another appreciation level now for me.

89 Star of Indiana... during this time period I saw this show and music as essentially a replay of the 27th Lancers from earlier. But as time has gone on, I hear the beginnings of a fine brass line there now that will make a name for itself a few year later.

2001 Glassmen .. " Imago "... didn't like the show and music then, but replays of the music now ( and the excellent brass soloing ) gives it a higher appreciation from me today than back in 2001. Its a shame we've lost this fIne Corps.

Finally, 2007 Blue Devils... " Winged Victory "... ' didn't like the show then all that much, but now in retrospect, its sheer power and optimism of the show theme comes thru to me much much better in appreciation than anything BD has produced since.

I meant to include Glassmen "Imago" in my list. I remember hearing the soloist during the middle of the show and thinking to myself "that can't be right". It was right .... I was wrong. A wonderfully performed solo that makes that show one to remember.

Cadets 2005. When I first heard about that concept, I was angry with them, but then after seeing it a few times, I loved it, especially at finals.

Crown 2007. I thought it was quite a cheesy a** show when I heard about the concept, but that show was fantastic.

Phantom 2008. I love the history of the spartans but I didn't think Phantom would be able to capture the emotion of it. Needless to say I was gladly proven wrong.

This one may seem weird because I marched in the show, but Cadets 2000. I was more used to Cadets being robotic fast machines after seeing 1997 and 1998, and to hear we would be doing a disney show didn't rub me the right way. A few times while we were performing the show, I would always wonder what the hell the crowd was getting excited about. After getting the concept of the show, I fell in love with it and was glad I was able to perform it.

Ok, it was only strike one anyway, Tim K, and you're still at the plate with the opportunity to hit it out of the park( haha!)

Maybe with 3/4 games with Pawtucket, Tim can help the big club. Too many guys with OBP's under .250, never mind .300! Maybe they'll have their act together when BAC makes a visit. (Happy MODS?)

Maybe with 3/4 games with Pawtucket, Tim can help the big club. Too many guys with OBP's under .250, never mind .300! Maybe they'll have their act together when BAC makes a visit. (Happy MODS?)

A reporter asked a manager of a team that was on a long losing streak after the game: ' what would you say about your team's execution now ". The manager paused a bit, thought about the question and then replied : " Come to think of it, its not such a bad idea "

Edited by BRASSO

A reporter asked a manager of a team that was on a long losing streak after the game: ' what would you say about your team's execution now ". The manager paused a bit, thought about the question and then replied : " Come to think of it, its not such a bad idea "

This is generally attributed to John McKay, former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: "I'd be in favor of it."