Johnstown - Take Two

And I got home just in time to see the last 1:30. All I want to know is...

Where's the JIVE?!

Yes, I know it's early, but you can't teach jive. You either know where the "ah" of the beat is, or you sound like that.

That said, I missed the run through. Anyone know if it will be rebroadcast anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_fVL_sBOaA

Yea. I noticed this too. Anyone know why the pit is wearing white jackets while the hornline is in maroon? Is that what they're going with this year?

White jackets blend in with the stand. Corps is wearing regular uniforms. ...or they worse the regular uniforms the other day during the broadcast then....

Edited by jjeffeory

I'll say this to be very positive, performance captions are going to be extremely high for percussion and brass, honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them snag the music caption again, depending on how Crown's percussion does. Could EASILY see percussion repeating.

• Like 3

Thats my initial take... some good moments, but seems a bit short in the level of demand and complexity from what we generally expect in this area from the Cadets.

I've got to believe however that the ramp in front there is not going to be a permanent season long bridge to nowhere... that they'll do lots of stuff up there we havn't seen yet. We'll just have to see where the Cadets go with that... as well as this show filled with music and stuff we've all seen and heard before it seems... but still is better to the ears than some of the other music out there that sounds like 3 monkeys fighting inside a barrel.

Last year's drill was lacking in my opinion too. Angels and Demons was the last time I really really liked the drill. 12.25 wasn't bad, but last year.. meh

• Like 1

Not it. 4th at best, possibly lower. The closer will get the heart racing.. and the drill will most certainly be strong at the end. If Hop does another 20 minute show that needs to be rehearsed all season, doing more harm than good. To early to judge the guard, but they need to be dramatically improved from last season to hold off SCV. I don't think this touches Crown or BD.

Edited by east coast love
  • Like 2

Considering that what we heard tonight is early June, I really dig the Cadets' tutti sound...wonderful blend of powerful brass and take-no-prisoners percussion.......just imagine what this may sound like by early July!

• Like 1

I'm mixed, but enthusiastic. I, generally, love the show.

I'm blown away that we're watching this level of performance in June.

I'm hopeful that they don't disappoint in Indy opening night by not having the drill done.

Drum line is ON FRIGGIN' FIRE for this early. The _kid said "BD better be gunnin' for a fight".

I'm sold on anything American that Cadets do. Nobody does American like Cadets. And I'm glad they didn't "hint" at '87 but, rather, took it on full-force. The arrangement brings back such great, warm chocolate memories of '87 live and dozens of times watched since.

My biggest pick is an odd one, and I'm a fan of theme-type shows. I was disappointed that the narration of Pearl Harbor and Roosevelt happened during the first drum solo. I get the percussive connection of bombs going off, but those events are remembered with reverence, melancholy, quiet reflection, not by the "mockumentary" notion that pelts you with an hour of explosions that cheapen the events. That generation and their kids (and many of us today) want to remember that time with reverence, not memories of bombs. It seems a bit irreverent to express it otherwise even though the facts support the design connection between drums and explosions.

Just my take, and my hunch is that this is a top-3 show, maybe top-2.

Oh, and I noticed that the draped podiums matching the stage made the stage less noticeable. Or maybe I was just distracted by three things now.

(And thanks to MotorCity for the link.)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

I'll say this to be very positive, performance captions are going to be extremely high for percussion and brass, honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them snag the music caption again, depending on how Crown's percussion does. Could EASILY see percussion repeating.

Yes, I agree with you. Those captions will be very good for this corps.

I'm mixed, but enthusiastic. I, generally, love the show.

I'm blown away that we're watching this level of performance in June.

I'm hopeful that they don't disappoint in Indy opening night by not having the drill done.

Drum line is ON FRIGGIN' FIRE for this early. The _kid said "BD better be gunnin' for a fight".

I'm sold on anything American that Cadets do. Nobody does American like Cadets. And I'm glad they didn't "hint" at '87 but, rather, took it on full-force. The arrangement brings back such great, warm chocolate memories of '87 live and dozens of times watched since.

My biggest pick is an odd one, and I'm a fan of theme-type shows. I was disappointed that the narration of Pearl Harbor and Roosevelt happened during the first drum solo. I get the percussive connection of bombs going off, but those events are remembered with reverence, melancholy, quiet reflection, not by the "mockumentary" notion that pelts you with an hour of explosions that cheapen the events. That generation and their kids (and many of us today) want to remember that time with reverence, not memories of bombs. It seems a bit irreverent to express it otherwise even though the facts support the connection between drums and bombs.

Just my take, and my hunch is that this is a top-3 show, maybe top-2.

Oh, and I noticed that the draped podiums matching the stage made the stage less noticeable. Or maybe I was just distracted by three things now.

The Appalachian Spring stuff is pretty incredible, as is the Grover's Corner stuff. Cadets do Americana very well.

Edited by jjeffeory

Kinda figured this is Hop would play it when I heard the concept earlier; the narration is just flat for me, as it's a well I've seen too many groups (albeit not at the DCI level, necessarily) go to over the years.

I suppose I am jaded a bit, but it feels like "Generic Americana Show #24" right now. The old chestnuts they reference in the music feel fatigued, and the book just doesn't pop for me yet . . .I do expect to find some things to like visually once the season gets going from what little that angle gives us to read from.

I really loved the past few years (last year especially, I thought it should have been closer to the top), but I don't think this one is going to grab me that way.