Sunday's Crown performance

Please don't interpret my comment as taking offense! I made what I thought was a short and fair statement and I certainly didn't mean to make anyone so upset. I really don't want to be lumped in as someone who is a bad sport. Just participating in the banter. I'm looking forward to a great season from all the corps :smile:. Hope everyone enjoys it!

I apologize, really. I just used your comment as the launching off point for a commentary about a larger theme being expressed against some of the criticisms. I didn't mean to put the whole rant on you. Your's was simply the most recent, so I jumped on it. Sorry if you feel singled out, because that was not my intent.

• Like 1

i think the reason they sound like they are playing less (didnt stopwatch or anything) is because they are putting the drumline out there with more features. At one point I thhought to my self there are alot of drums and the brass would then come in and just do double/triple tongue chord and back to drums.

I did notice more of the percussion playing, which I felt was interesting given their relative weakness last year. They certainly seemed stronger than last year though, so we'll see how well they hang with the perennial favorites in the caption.

I'm also surprised that there have been 0 comments about the low brass switching to high brass horns.

• Like 2

I'm also surprised that there have been 0 comments about the low brass switching to high brass horns.

where did it take place?....couldn't really tell what a lot of the visuals were like because the dust cloud somewhat obscured them more and more as the show went on

Actually I commented on the stereophonic trumpet feature but I just assumed everyone knew that while the percussion was playing on the mufflers, that the low brass was switching over to trumpets by the trampolines....

It's amazing. Frisbees and 80 trumpets and mellos

Frisbees, 80 trumpets, and mellos...oh my!! (With all apologies to lions, tigers, and bears.)

Interesting to see the criticism/disappointment/curiosity over the programming. There are only a few Crown shows I'd put ahead of this one in that regard - 2009, 2013, 2007 immediately come to mind. Otherwise, it comes across very well in the stands as a canvas that will (hopefully) look very good when it's all said and done.

• Like 2

It's already pretty darn impressive, and is going to be a powerhouse when the MMs stop thinking their way through it and start performing it. You can see their feet are still connected to their heads, and that's to be expected at this stage. When the technical/mechanical is more internalized and automatic and their feet start connecting to their hearts, the communication will start happening and they'll have the crowd eating out of their hands.

Trampolines, Frisbees, etc. -- okay, fine, whatever. Colors: sure, no problem, do whatever you do. It's secondary. You can already dazzle me. Now, do the hard part: Say something to me. When you do, you may just have a winner.

• Like 3

Please don't interpret my comment as taking offense! I made what I thought was a short and fair statement and I certainly didn't mean to make anyone so upset. I really don't want to be lumped in as someone who is a bad sport. Just participating in the banter. I'm looking forward to a great season from all the corps :smile:. Hope everyone enjoys it!

Oh I'm sure they're referring to me :-) Thing is -- if you read the thread -- I was just responding in kind to Kdaddy (who then tried to dump the whole thing on me) .

My whole "rant" yesterday was not directed to anyone specifically regarding the standard crown comments that we hear every year.

The last page or two of posts have actually been thoughtful critiques with pretty specific commentary supporting their observations (ie DCP at it's best).

Oh well -- I'm sure we'll see plenty more of that nonsense and hopefully plenty of actual constructive commentary.

If you post nonsense -- I'll continue to point it out. Tough love for those who think they can fire and forget.