Sunday's Crown performance

I definitely found things in the show to enjoy, but not my favorite Crown offering. Great brass and body movement which we have come to expect. This post I found on Reddit sums it up well for me:

Watched it cold with no supporting information. Caught the Space Oddity beginning, but didn't recognize any of the other pieces.

The group I watched it with were equally confused about what was going on. There was general disdain for the uniforms, they look like something Spirit of Atlanta should be wearing. We couldn't figure out what effect the trampolines were bringing, and found them generally very distracting. The guard dance movements were also...lackluster in comparison to their flag work. The drum break on the mufflers left us wondering if it was an industrial show (along with the bizarre guard visors).

Overall, I'd say the show is coming across rather flat. They are already performing it surprisingly well, but we didn't particularly enjoy what they were performing. As of right now, it's the first Crown show I don't care for in over 10 years.

Maybe the space theme is more apparent if you already know it's there, and are looking for it. However, it's not terribly obvious to a casual observer who hasn't been following the corps pre-season. The journey of the astronaut/exploration told above would be plausible, if they had show that on the field. Perhaps having a guard member, or section of the corps, represent the astronaut. Otherwise, it's a mix of esoteric music, tons of props, and distracting percussion placement (why did they need all that stuff on the field?).

I think this sums up how I felt about the show. It's just not my cup of tea

• Like 1

corpsband, I would like to respectfully suggest you be a bit more civil. Your angry tone is giving me dyspepsia.

I am sure you can find a way to disagree without resorting to harsh words and fault-finding. We are all here because we love this amazing thing called drum corps, and I think most of us realize that opinions expressed here have no effect whatsoever on the broader world. So to get all riled up just because another drum corps fan does not share your exact point of view don't make a lick of sense. :beer: Here, have a beer on me.

No anger on my part at all -- just done with a poster who choses to insult instead of respond. Probably should been kill-filed long ago -- somehow slipped through the cracks.

So back to the show......

The lull between the opener and the drum feature makes more sense considering that the brass is off switching over to other instruments while that is going on. That makes me feel a lot better there, if they can find a way to draw more attention to what they drums/guard are doing, consider me sold on that part.

Just watched the Crown preview show. I was impressed, particularly in how much they have on the field in early June. Usually the visual package is still catching up with the music. But Crown looks like they've worked really hard to get their "starting" full package on the field.

The Brass line is, again, excellent. Great, quality sound, and clearly playing a difficult book. Lots of intricate runs, building up to recurring, big, major chords. Constant staple of Crown's style, regardless of the "theme".

Guard looks just as strong as last year, to me. The clear facemask stuff seems a bit silly to me, but I suppose I see how it fits with the theme.

I think percussion continues to be their weakest section (although weak is relative here -- still a top 5-6 line). I don't think the metallic stuff works well ... at least on video.

Overall: Definitely a top 3 show. I will say with this production Crown is definitely starting to feel formulaic, but it's hard to argue with the formula solidified in 2013: High paced, lots of notes, opener with plenty of big impact major chords. Hybrid percussion/brass feature with impressive GE, particularly with the one ULTIMATE brass run. Lush ballad with LOTS of exaggerated, expressive movement, accented with two guard members showing love on the far right end. High-paced, lots of notes in the closer, finishing w big, fat, major chord. Whether 2013 or 2014, this is the same formula. Same order, just different theme and music choices that fit into it.

Upon first video viewing, it doesn't grab me as much as 2013 did. But I'm splitting hairs. With that show, you knew it was top 2 vs here I think top 3. When I saw live at Stanford, I had a good sense that it would win. This year .. perhaps it feels too much of the same thing ... a bit stale. But of course, if I saw it live, I'm sure I'd have an improved perspective. Minor note: trampolines and frisbees just don't seem to do much. Random, and perhaps a bit goofy? Perhaps the most clear case of props for props sake I've seen in awhile.

But to close on a very positive note -- a very impressive organization bringing together some VERY talented kids. The product on the field shows it. Looks like a great, competitive summer is on the way. I've seen one video of BD, taken from the 10 yard line. Hard to compare, but BD's show looks very interesting and FAR more accessible than past two years. Some great, smooth, classic BD style in it. Far less esoteric stuff. I'm very curious to see Cadets and SCV. The latter, I think, on source material alone, could be the sleeper this summer.

Can't wait!

Edited by bgg80

Is it just me, or does the first big hit in the ballad have a very similar chord progression to Bluecoats' version of Creep? I've noticed it three times -- once on the rehearsal vignette just before the dress rehearsal run through, once on the DCI webcast, and again on the bleacher POV just posted to youtube.

Is it just me, or does the first big hit in the ballad have a very similar chord progression to Bluecoats' version of Creep? I've noticed it three times -- once on the rehearsal vignette just before the dress rehearsal run through, once on the DCI webcast, and again on the bleacher POV just posted to youtube.

Definitely!

Yep! I-III-IV-iv, the exact same chord progression.

That field looks way too busy for me. My eyes were going nuts trying to figure out what to watch. I think that's going to hurt like than help. Other than that, interesting idea. It's June and there will be rewrites, let's see what happens.

a friend of mine called all of the extra stuff "space junk" LOL

• Like 1

corpsband you don't have to personally jump on everyone who critiques Crown, lol

he doesn't. just most

:tounge2: