Instauration in Indy: 6/18

Ok...I'll play, too. (Although I was rubbing my crystal ball so fiercely that the heat from friction caused the ball to melt...which ran across and off my desk...and onto my thighs, causing 3rd degree burns. Hmmmm...I wonder if I can claim it was coffee and sue McDonalds. I'll have to check into that one...)

Crown 72.2

Cadets 71.3

Cavaliers 69.4

Phantom 69.0

Troop 63.7

Thank you, corpsband.

The reason I asked is this: even for a Troopers wonk such as myself, it strikes me that there is (at least given last year's results) a bit of a gulf between the Troopers and the other 4. Now...do you think this will provide some form, albeit unintentional, of "benefit," either to the Troopers OR the other 4? I think we can all agree that a corps' first score of the season can provided a foundation upon which subsequent scores will be based (would you rather start your season at the level of 55.8, 60.8, 65.8, or 70.8?). Will there be a benefit to the Troopers through being associated with the other 4 (Judge's thinking: "I don't want to knock them TOO far down from the other 4.")? If this indeed happens, would the scores for the other 4 be unnaturally inflated (Judge's thinking: "Geez, I gave Troop this score, and the following groups are definitely a few degrees above that -- so I have to show it.")?

Not meaning to stir controversy over the first show of the year -- but the issue does intrigue me to a degree.

In any event, I wish all the corps well, and hope they all can provide a show to remember to kick off the new season!!! Man, it's been a long winter!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Don't get too caught up on Troopers' opening score. Last year, 2013, they opened in the 59.000, their worst opening score since 2008 (57.9). In all of 2009 through 2012 they opened in the low and mid 60's. Yet 2013 had the their highest finishing score (86.050) since 1985 (86.700).

Don't knee-jerk to show # 1 scoring. Plenty of time for things to develop and sort out.

Edited by mingusmonk

I'll bite. This is taking into consideration that it's a 5 judge panel, percussion being judged instead of brass or guard, per fromthepressbox.com:

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/20140618indianapolis.htm

1) Carolina Crown - 73.2

2) The Cadets - 72.9

3) Cavaliers - 69.2

4) Phantom Regiment - 68.5

5) Troopers - 61.9

Edited by DrumManTx

It would be and I really feel like they will do it! The program was very enjoyable to watch even if the feed was "great".

I'm sort of conflicted about it...

It would be great if the Cavies turned it all around.

But....

It would also be great if someone new establishes a foothold in the elite.

That would be a statement by the Cavies.

They've done it before more than not, so hopefully they will again. After seeing the video I don't think there's a reason why not. :satisfied: