Crown's hornline?

I've backed up every point I've made with evidence (time codes for example). Yet, all such evidence has received is excuses such as ...."it's preshow". Now talk about "BS".

Well, It IS preshow. That's not B.S.

If you're going to get technical on someone and act like those high school kids on DCP back in the early 2000's who used to timecode every Cavalier show and point out how little they played (all while dominating the activity, mind you), then someone has to call BS. You absolutely cannot backup your claim about how little Crown plays and then not compare it reasonably to other corps. You exclaim how the Blue Devils are playing "non-stop" this year, and how amazeballs they are to you for doing so. Well, how about you take their 2 minutes of "preshow" out as well since you're doing the same for Crown? Or during all the other "film stoppages" or percussion/scatterdrill features where there is no playing going on whatsoever?

The whole "this corps doesn't ever play anything!" BS is a decades old argument that holds little water to today's standards. It's called effective design. There are stoppages in every single show this season. If a hornline played for the entirety of any show, it would not have a percussion feature. There would be no time to create all the visual mastery and storyline development you see so often in the shows these days. There is a reason why hornlines stop for segments at a time. EVERYONE DOES IT. You're being REALLY critical of Crown for no reason, and at the same time making it out to be like they are the only offenders of this. That, my friend, is pure BS, to its finest level.

EDIT: Oops, I guess this conversation ended and I was late to the party! :music:

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 2

People seem to be particularly snarky the start of this season lol

IMO the best horn line I've heard so far is Blue Devils - but seeing as I've only heard them online who knows.

I'd imagine Crown's program will undergo a good deal of revision this year compared to last - so while they are obviously very talented and skilled time will tell if they can stave off Devils, Cadets and possibly the Coats

G.

Have to say... it would be quite funny to see Bluecoats take the caption. It certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility... they have flirted with the caption before... would make a lot of this discussion kinda silly in retrospect.

But lets just conclude the following. Nobody is going to win with any great margin over any 2 or 3 other corps. The caption is not tied exclusively to the book, instrumentation balance, or performance. The winner, at this level, is the corps that performs their championship caliber show better than the others play their championship caliber show. The argument is silly because the answer is not remotely as obvious as any party suggests that it is.

To the point about the historical mark that Crown has or has not made on the caption... it seems pretty clear that they have made it. Certainly with every bit of gravitas that Star had in the 90s. Crown doesn't need to win again to be considered among the greats. They already are. The problem is that it is getting crowded up there... as it should be.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

To the point about the historical mark that Crown has or has not made on the caption... it seems pretty clear that they have made it. Certainly with every bit of gravitas that Star had in the 90s. Crown doesn't need to win again to be considered among the greats. They already are. The problem is that it is getting crowded up there... as it should be.

Crown has been the class the last few seasons but I don't see nearly the "separation" between them and the rest of the activity that Star had the last few years on the field.

Crown has been the class the last few seasons but I don't see nearly the "separation" between them and the rest of the activity that Star had the last few years on the field.

You will never see that separation again. Those days in this activity have been long gone for a while. Nearly every corps at semis is fielding a group of more mature music-major type members. The distance between in all areas has been closing consistently for the last 15 years. Now corps recruit from multiple states on both coasts and run pre-season camp for a month. It's a different world and the comparisons to the past are more and more in name only.

Keep in mind... a competitive group can only ever contend to win. That is where "control" terminates. The fact that more contend is not a sign of weakness in the winner. It is a sign of strength in the circuit at large.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

As others have said (including those who overall disagree with me)...Crown does not have "the book" this year. It's not even close to the level of content as the last 2 (even 3) years. I think I timed a total of about 4.02 minutes where the hornline doesn't even play a note. That's not a "winning horn book" in my opinion.

We've had similar debates on DCP in the past regarding marching and drums, and the outcome was that it didn't matter how long the performed the activity, it was how well they performed the activity when they DID something.

LOL now THAT is funny! "Separation"? There was no separation with Star either. They TIED with the Blue Devils in brass for 2 of their last 3 years in the activity (91 and 93). "Separation"....people need to learn their history. If anything, there has been more separation with Crown seeing that they've comfortably won the Ott award 4 of the last 5 years. SEE? I'm still giving Crown their due credit. I just think 2014 might end the streak. So sue me. Edited by bmjfelts1988

I'm no admin, but it feels like this conversation has reached an end.

"An end"??? I'm still waiting for a "concversation" to BEGIN. So far it's been nothing but a war of pot shots. I've tried to shy away from making "personal jabs" (though I won't lie, it's been hard) and lead the thread toward an actual discussion but some people around here don't want to play nice.

:spitting: Right! If that's what you think you are doing, you're delusional.

Not guilty. I haven't done that at all in this thread. In fact, until this last page, I've tried real hard to just focus on the subject matter rather than the people I'm conversing with - which includes at least trying to avoid focusing on "what others say" and focus instead on the actual subject itself. But people would rather make the discussion about "the other person" rather than the subject itself. Classy.

How about this? Forget trying to refute "what other people say" and instead make some comparisons on what you've seen from the top 2 or 3 hornlines so far this year. The discussion might become much more engaging and you never know, you might even learn something.

"An end"??? I'm still waiting for a "concversation" to BEGIN. So far it's been nothing but a war of pot shots. I've tried to shy away from making "personal jabs" (though I won't lie, it's been hard) and lead the thread toward an actual discussion but some people around here don't want to play nice.

:huh:

• Like 2