Live from Bayonne

Besides, honest, it's a market economy. The kid whose family is paying that money to C2 is not (necessarily) someone that Reading or Hawthorne lost. He or she is an additional kid in our activity whose family decided they could pay those fees.

It's America, baby! You pay your money you get your ticket. Don't like the fees? You have options.

this is very true

You don't owe me any explanation. I'm old. This is what I have left. I've played, taught, judged, and been a dad. Sometimes I drove the trucks, although never as the only thing I was doing.

My only point, which may be worth zero to anyone but myself is that we have the right to be critical - it's almost all a forum like this is for, but I'm just so tired of it.

It's so easy. And once in a while when the corps overcomes the early season challenges and succeeds you read "whoopsie - my bad" or more often, fuggedaboudit - it's back on page 11 out of 325.

I don't see anything positive that comes out of criticism on these pages, but that's just me.

George isn't reading this (unless his name is in it when he Googles himself) and changing staff members.

The thing is - it has become difficult to maintain a quality all-age corps in the 21st Century. I'm grateful to have newer corps coming along.

If there's anything to the butterfly effect, when we lose a corps from this activity I don't want to be the one that added anything negative.

Love 'em all - want just the best for them. I just don't feel any better about criticising them for doing what I did for decades - some seasons I seemed like I knew what I was doing - some seasons? I probably got rocked on RAMD. Wait - I KNOW I did!

I actually totally agree and think those kids in C2 really can do it. BUT the adults who should know better , especially there need to step up IMO.

Youre not old, seasoned..lol..and still relevant, still wanted, arent you? there's a reason we , yes I said we are still after decades are still asked and can still contribute. Its a reason many staff and designers from bitd are also still around. Thats a whole other topic...lol...

Well next week-end we have Skyliners returning to the field ,plus Hurricanes and Bushwackers Frist show on thier Season .Should be an interesting mix ,Bushwackers looked and sounded great in the parade ,and so did Hurricanes last month in NYC ..So i'm Looking at Cabs 1st. Fusion 2nd Bush,3rd Hurcs 4 and bring up the rear The Skyliners.Not looking for Sky to be close to any of the other corps .

Edited by Florida Sun

Off-topic, but didn't want to start a separate thread just to say:

Nice to see Hawthorne Caballeros mentioned in tonight's DCI cinema screening. One of the sideline interviews conducted by Will Pits was of a Madison Scouts member from Ontario, who apparently marched for a few years with Cabs. But how did he manage that?

• Like 2

Here is the stated aim of C2, from the YEA website...

"...regionally performing drum and bugle corps made up of approximately 128 young men and women ages 16 to 25 that competes in the Drum Corps Associates circuit. Founded in 2012 as a weekend-only alternative to the 10-time DCI World Champion Cadets nationally touring ensemble, Cadets 2 maintains The Cadets' standard of excellence while offering a more time- and cost- effective drum corps experience to young people in and around the Lehigh Valley."

They do have an age of up to 25, but I think that most of the members are more in the HS-age bracket, from my viewing and speaking with staff.

Note also, they are a "weekend-only alternative", aimed at young people "in and around the Lehigh Vallety". Out of necessity, unless a person fro a remote location has a palce to stay nearby all summer, by definition they are looking at primarily local-area members, as stated.

All DCA guards operate pretty much the same, except maybe for the age thing, so the above doesn't really excuse the rest of the comments in the thread. They do seem to trend on the young side in all areas, which might be a factor. Instead of being full of 19-21 year-olds, they appear to be more 16-19 i age, a very large experience difference.

Oh, well...best of luck to all the DCA corps.

So 19-21 is the experienced side of DCA now days huh?? WOW

• Like 3

Nice to see Hawthorne Caballeros mentioned in tonight's DCI cinema screening. One of the sideline interviews conducted by Will Pits was of a Madison Scouts member from Ontario, who apparently marched for a few years with Cabs. But how did he manage that?

Cabs have a large contingent of folks from Canada most years I believe...

• Like 2

Well next week-end we have Skyliners returning to the field ,plus Hurricanes and Bushwackers Frist show on thier Season .Should be an interesting mix ,Bushwackers looked and sounded great in the parade ,and so did Hurricanes last month in NYC ..So i'm Looking at Cabs 1st. Fusion 2nd Bush,3rd Hurcs 4 and bring up the rear The Skyliners.Not looking for Sky to be close to any of the other corps .

I sort of have a dog in the fight here, and wish a great start to the Hurcs, a corps I've loved for 4 decades. Having said that, I hope that Sky doesn't get lapped by anyone.

The loss of Sky as a perennial box office smash has been as bad a blow to DCA as any I can think of, as are the losses of the Upstate NY corps - all great competitors.

I think it could be argued though that the Skyliners were the Madison Scouts of DCA. While Hawthorne fans loved Hawthorne and Hurcs fans love Hurcs, (keep going with corps) every friggin body loved Sky.

Like a bad-### Sarah Lee (whom nobody doesn't like).

So, officially, go Hurcs - first show with an ambitious book - have a great year.

A great year to all DCA corps cause god knows we need them to be great while (for instance) upstate is regrouping into another super-corps - Phoenix anyone?

But man, I'd kill to see Sky and Sun fighting it out like the 60s and mid-70s.

OK, it's late. I'm old. Good night.

Well....Paul (The kid that was interviewed), came to Cabs I believe in 2009 as a 14 year old kid from Ottawa Ontario with his dad. He made the trumpet line, and had very good marching skills. He marched until 2012, got better as a musician, and better as a marcher and auditioned for Scouts in 2013 and made it on his first try. This is Paul's second year in Scouts and I believe he has 2 more after this year.

I had the privilege and honor of housing Paul at my apartment his last year he marched Cabs. Currently, I house his dad (who is our mellophone soloist) along with all of the members from Canada and Vermont (which totals about 10). When he ages out of Scouts, he'll be coming back to Cabs, I'm sure. It was great that he gave us props....he mentioned to someone last night via text message that if it weren't for Cabs, he would not be in Scouts today.

All that being said, he's a great kid, i'm extremely proud of him, and could not be happier for him!

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 9

Well....Paul (The kid that was interviewed), came to Cabs I believe in 2009 as a 14 year old kid from Ottawa Ontario with his dad. He made the trumpet line, and had very good marching skills. He marched until 2012, got better as a musician, and better as a marcher and auditioned for Scouts in 2013 and made it on his first try. This is Paul's second year in Scouts and I believe he has 2 more after this year.

I had the privilege and honor of housing Paul at my apartment his last year he marched Cabs. Currently, I house his dad (who is our mellophone soloist) along with all of the members from Canada and Vermont (which totals about 10). When he ages out of Scouts, he'll be coming back to Cabs, I'm sure. It was great that he gave us props....he mentioned to someone last night via text message that if it weren't for Cabs, he would not be in Scouts today.

All that being said, he's a great kid, i'm extremely proud of him, and could not be happier for him!

This is always a very cool thing about DCA, when a member can obtain the skills needed to achieve at the DCI level and then go on to live their dream. Then it's even cooler when, after aging out, they bring those skills and ability back to where it all started for them. Neat feeling.

Dan

• Like 3

This is always a very cool thing about DCA, when a member can obtain the skills needed to achieve at the DCI level and then go on to live their dream. Then it's even cooler when, after aging out, they bring those skills and ability back to where it all started for them. Neat feeling.

Dan

Had the same situation last year with one of our mello players. He marched Cabs for 4 years, then auditions for Crown last year. He was offered a spot and ended up winning a championship. After he came back from tour, he filled our last mello spot and marched like he was marching in that spot all year. Thru this past winter, he would attend our camps, and we would put him to use as a visual or music tech, until he went back on tour with Crown, marching his age out year. He is another one who will come back to Cabs when he is done after this season!

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 2