Bridgeport Predictions

And that's the kind of support that all the shows need in order to survive.....

:thumbdown:

and you're surprised, given the poster?

(I'm guessing not)

• Like 2

trust me... if Frank were still around, he would have his friends take care of you while he watched... RIP

we know some of the same friends

:ninja:

and you're surprised, given the poster?

(I'm guessing not)

Not surprised in the least.

But considering how people talk about almost losing the Barnum Festival, or how few shows Corps A is in this year or that Corps B will only be competing a few times this or that season....I know you know what I mean Ray.

I posted this in the Barnum Festival thread But now that this thread turned into this I thought it might be worth posting this here also. Sorry for those who already read the other.

I hope the drum corps community really gets behind this classic Drum Corps Show. EVERYONE, needs to try and support this iconic event. As I was part of the Barnum Festival committee some time ago I do know how This event needs support if it is going to continue. Over the decades most civic clubs, events , parades, support of this and many other activities are all but gone. This will be another thing of the past IF support isnt there BIG TIME. This event barely survived the chopping block this year and I am very sure could be breathing it's last breath. I dont think there is anyone who wants to see this great show go. Support the Barnum Festival !

• Like 2

Certainly I might have been a tad crass with my comment however the fact is that in this economy if John Q. Drumcorps is going to spend over $100 between tickets, transportation, refreshments and souvenirs to see just one or maybe 2 shows a year, he will want to spend his money to see a show with the top competitors/contenders. So given the choice between what is now the Barnum Festival and the Grand Prix or Scranton...guess who wins? It's a shame because BITD the Barnum was a major prestige show and title. And like it or not, the Bucs have got to be considered one of the top draws in the circuit ...if not THE top draw. And to have one of your top draws competing in only six shows is definitely killing shows such as the Barnum. Perhaps it's time for DCA to take this into consideration and work with the corps to create a more compelling slate for these once iconic shows. It this a sad fact? Certainly it is. But it is a fact.

Certainly I might have been a tad crass with my comment however the fact is that in this economy if John Q. Drumcorps is going to spend over $100 between tickets, transportation, refreshments and souvenirs to see just one or maybe 2 shows a year, he will want to spend his money to see a show with the top competitors/contenders. So given the choice between what is now the Barnum Festival and the Grand Prix or Scranton...guess who wins? It's a shame because BITD the Barnum was a major prestige show and title. And like it or not, the Bucs have got to be considered one of the top draws in the circuit ...if not THE top draw. And to have one of your top draws competing in only six shows is definitely killing shows such as the Barnum. Perhaps it's time for DCA to take this into consideration and work with the corps to create a more compelling slate for these once iconic shows. It this a sad fact? Certainly it is. But it is a fact.

I don't know - Barnum seems like a pretty compelling show to me. You have two of the "buzz" corps of the early season in Cabs & Fusion; first time out for Bush (Who, from everything I've heard, had a really nice off-season and is more likely to provide an upside surprise than a downside one) and Hurcs (whom Bridgeport ALWAYS loves); and the return (Thank heaven!) of the Skyliners. Add in some solild exhibitions, and, for ten bucks, it's like you're STEALING your seat.

Then, of course, for me, it's by a darned sight the closest DCA show of the season, only about a half-hour drive, as opposed to at least two hours-plus for all the others I'll be going to. . . :cool:

Edited by grenadasmoothie
  • Like 1

Tickets for the show are in some of the cheapest this season. I think they are $10 this year in the past they have been as low as five. And it is always a packed, this is the type of crowd that doesn't care who is in the competition they just like the show.

• Like 2

Love this show, both as a performer and as a spectator, and while not having Bucs here IMO is a bad mistake for everyone else, I doubt they were drawing a large crowd from the area. It's still Cabs country here.

If it wasn't for the area and the parking situation, I would say it should be as big as Scranton.

How big of a crowd did the Barnum end up with ,i wondered if the price increase would affect tickets sales ,But we all know you can't afford to run any Drum Corps show for 5.00 dollars and expect to make a profit today .

Looked to me, and I heard many say the same, that the crowd was actually noticeably bigger this year. Guess only the Barnum folks know for sure.