Name change contest!

OK..thank you for devaluing my opinion...

Here we go again. Another DCP pissing contest within a topic that ultimately doesn't matter.

• Like 4

The "Unbearably hot all summer except the northwest games"

Well if 50's highs and lows in the low 40's in New York is unbearably hot, well then maybe I'm glad I only went to the northwest only once.

• Like 1

Per the OP, it wasn't an opinion as you didn't address the question.

change to......

SUMMER MUSIC GAMES

• Like 1

Why does it NEED to be changed? What is with this constant NEED and desire to change this activity... I simply don't buy into the whole "progress" argument. 20 years ago... 1993... over 80 corps competed at the DCI World Championships aka The Summer Music Games. In 2013?

Yes you read that correctly.... 36. As in over HALF the corps from 20 years ago are gone... vanished... kaput. In that lot, we have lost no less than 6 former DCI finalists, a DCI World Champion, at leasst 3 former Division 2 or 3 champions and we have actually lost the local corps foundation the activity was built on. So what has changed?

• Instrumentation, both key and types
  • A and E
  • Local touring circuits have all vanished
  • Infighting like never before
  • The lines between drum corps and band have all but disappeared

Please remind me again? Why is all this change necessary?

#justsayin

• Like 1

Yes you read that correctly.... 36. As in over HALF the corps from 20 years ago are gone... vanished... kaput. In that lot, we have lost no less than 6 former DCI finalists, a DCI World Champion, at leasst 3 former Division 2 or 3 champions and we have actually lost the local corps foundation the activity was built on. So what has changed?

Please remind me again? Why is all this change necessary?

Perhaps it's a back-door way to winnow DCI down to just the seven corps everyone really wants to see anyway (in the view of those seven corps).

NEW TOURING CONCEPT Presented By Seven DCI Corps For 2011

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/?uuid=d32787cf-d9b1-4ec3-af3e-11fdfadcd250

Cainan -

For a few years, I felt just as you do. But through the magic of Fan Network, I can now easily see the shows of my choice and study them carefully, as often as I want. The multi-camera view and HD brings this all into better view for me.

Today's DCI programming will likely 'hold-up' better against varied and accessible entertainment options readily available these days. Younger audiences today, with remote in hand, click off what doesn't interest them within a matter of seconds. Today's DCI corps are FILLED with contemporary visuals and sounds, and a never-ending rotation of colors, emotions, costume changes, etc.

Old school drum corps, that I participated in, promoted, and enjoyed were unique and special for their time. No complaints. But, compared to today's corps, our appearances were closer to what today would be seen as MARCHING EXHIBITIONS. It's 2014. What we see from DCI today are SHOWS. The talent on display today is not only higher quality, but dazzling and unpredictable. Our activity is more nimble now, in its ability to keep audience interest. It's working, but far more expensive to produce, unfortunately.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2