Brass instruments rule change 2014

So, since the season is under way and I don't see this being discussed anywhere else, I figured this would be a good thread to start.

What corps have started taking advantage of the ability to use trombones and other brass instruments previously not allowed?

The only ones I've seen so far are SCV. Can anyone who has seen the show live tell us just how these instruments are being used?

Spirit has a trumpet & trombone feature. Very jazzy/bluesy. The trombone has a number of glissandos common to this style which would be very hard to pull off on baritone.

Cadets appeared with a French horn. Do you think you heard a French horn? No, you did not hear a French horn. What did you hear? Answer: a loudspeaker.

Madison introduced a new, puny sound to DCI. I didn't know they made P-bones in silver color.

Cadets appeared with a French horn. Do you think you heard a French horn? No, you did not hear a French horn. What did you hear? Answer: a loudspeaker.

I didn't think it was that loud.

Madison introduced a new, puny sound to DCI. I didn't know they made P-bones in silver color.

Ah this is wonderful. Your thoughts I mean.

Let me ask you, oh wise one, did you feel this way about the mic'd pits and soloists before 2014?

As for the comments about Madison and Cadets, I'll just assume you have no knowledge of brass quality, or you were taught by morons because your opinions are just plain ####### stupid. I can't even respect them as opinions because they lack reality and intelligence on any level.

• Like 4

Lots of people still feel that way about miked soloists. I still feel that way about miked pits, because for me, the essence of drum corps is acoustic (see my signature) ... but amplified pits, amplified soloists, and even amplified vocals bother me far less than synthesizers. If last night's cinema showing is any indication, 2014 may be the first time in five years that the thunderous goo is finally under control. Five years was a lot of mush for the audience to slog through.

• Like 2

Cavaliers had a concert euphonium for a feature - I thought it was nicely staged and performed.

Madison had a trombone ensemble for one of their mini ballads. It gave it a nice "vintage" sound, I think.

Cadets had a concert French horn, miked. <shrug>

So far, I don't think any of those gave an OMG moment, but they didn't cause the earth to stop spinning, either. And none of those, from what I've seen so far, were actually marched.

Mike

• Like 1

From the Rockford show

Spirt had the best use with their trombone solo

Cavies euph was a better visual, lost musically, didn't carry and I was up front

Blue Star, the mello sounded better, made the French horn sound weak, tiny…they need to figure it out, didn't work

Madison, massive fail with the trombone ensemble – like a muddy river of goo barfed out on the field…it started out fine as a solo and then turned into a crap fest..maybe it was a bad night or perhaps they have to re-think that and cut it to a solo, duet

• Like 1

Let me ask you, oh wise one, did you feel this way about the mic'd pits and soloists before 2014?

Yes. It's either acoustically produced natural sound or it isn't. Electronic amplification adds nothing but crap to the sound of an otherwise acoustic ensemble. You don't hear the difference? Well, OK. Maybe your extensive knowledge of brass quality lets you ignore square waves.

Edited by drangin
  • Like 1

So, since the season is under way and I don't see this being discussed anywhere else, I figured this would be a good thread to start.

What corps have started taking advantage of the ability to use trombones and other brass instruments previously not allowed?

The only ones I've seen so far are SCV. Can anyone who has seen the show live tell us just how these instruments are being used?

Do you subscribe to Fan Network ? If you do, you can determine this for yourself on its utilization in the shows of Corps that have elected the option this summer to utilize them.