Brass instruments rule change 2014

There should be some megathreads on DCP that should be pinned, and anyone that makes any additional thread about them should receive a temp ban. Anyone that discusses these four topics outside of their respective threads should be temp banned. That might save some headaches for those that want to find discussions going on that aren't cyclical and repetitive. Topics could be amps, all brass, G Bugles vs. B Flats, Uniforms, G7.. you get the idea.

Re: the OP - lots of great corps doing lots of cool stuff. Saw Spirit during spring training and not once did I think "OH GOD A TROMBONE - THIS SHOW IS RUINED FOR ME!" It works, it sounds good (better than a baritone would, in my book) and it was not offensive. Hell, upon first viewing of Cadets I didn't really even realize they were using a horn.

• Like 1

dragin, please accept some advice:

The electronics issue is (as Climate Change is) "settled science". This argument of yours doesn't have legs or feet. It's done. Let it go.

In today's designer's eyes, drum corps doesn't have to be analog to be good.

And fans are agreeing in increasing numbers as the crop of kids involved with drum corps rolls over every couple of years.

Most of today's performers don't remember when drum corps was not electric.

Most fans don't either.

I accept that it's been sold as good enough for young people. I don't accept that it is good enough for young people. I love how an earlier poster lambasted me about my comments on amplified sound because I didn't know anything about brass sound quality.

I accept that it's been sold as good enough for young people. I don't accept that it is good enough for young people. I love how an earlier poster lambasted me about my comments on amplified sound because I didn't know anything about brass sound quality.

You're taking this too personally. The sooner you realize that drum corps is not about you (having marching-aged kids helps) the sooner you'll start to enjoy drum corps again.

• Like 2

There should be some megathreads on DCP that should be pinned, and anyone that makes any additional thread about them should receive a temp ban. Anyone that discusses these four topics outside of their respective threads should be temp banned. That might save some headaches for those that want to find discussions going on that aren't cyclical and repetitive. Topics could be amps, all brass, G Bugles vs. B Flats, Uniforms, G7.. you get the idea.

How 'bout we consider a " temproary ban " for those that want to " temporary ban " anyone that has a different opinion than our own ? This way the crickets can inherit this site during that temporary ban timeframe and listen to one another's chirping..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Since the activity is now Brass theater when will star make a return?I honestly like it when a solo or horn line played so beautifully and used the stadium to make beautiful sounds. It's not about me,I still love the G three valved instruments!Those horns projected and when in tune sounded so wonderful! But i get it, you can't sell them to marching bands after the season.Drums have really changed over the years and i never want to hear a 15" Mylar snare on the field again. I would love to hear pure pit again, but that's me and i never marched a corps in the top 25 so what do i know? Bash Me,Ban Me, whatever this is a me me world and if WE don't agree they just want us to leave. I'm still bitter over My Sevierville TN show being taken away, field sucked i know, show was around since 1977! They have a turf field, i'm sure Hoppie wouldn't like it. Drum Corps is about teaching, but it's also about playing "the game" next year Tbones, Fhorns and whatever else they can do will be all over fields. I'm done ranting.I respect EVERY PERFORMER, no matter what corps, and every educator. I have my view, but whatever. The activity is rolling........

How 'bout we consider a " temproary ban " for those that want to " temporary ban " anyone that has a different opinion than our own ? This way the crickets can inherit this site during that temporary ban timeframe and listen to one another's chirping..

I'm talking about etiquette moderation, not opinion censorship - it's a common thing on the internet, and it was largely a tongue-in-cheek joke about how every thread on DCP turns into a discussion about the same four topics or so.

Why do the Cavaliers need a concert euphonium?

So they can pull out his heart after he plays? :poke: (Watch the show. That's what they do)

You're taking this too personally. The sooner you realize that drum corps is not about you (having marching-aged kids helps) the sooner you'll start to enjoy drum corps again.

This is such a great point that honestly can't be said enough. I was a real sourpuss about the activity right after I aged-out. I didn't like G-any key, I wasn't excited about max. number being raised to 150, and I knew amps were on the horizon and I didn't like it. I didn't have any valid reason other than, "it's not what I did, it's not what they did before me, it doesn't feel like drum corps." I stopped going to shows, I stopped paying attention to scores, etc. I really clung to shows from the late 90's and earlier (honestly, from like mid-80's - late-90's because those were the show styles I liked the most). At that time I was teaching middle school, had nothing to do with HS marching band, and just stayed out of the activity.

I transferred to a HS, and decided I should grit my teeth and check out drum corps to see what the current trends were. This was in 2004, and I was lucky enough to see Tour of Champions. I was blown away with all of the high quality on display; I talked to some members before and after the show and they talked about how great the CA tour was, and how much fun they had that summer and I had an epiphany. Talking to the members brought me back to when I was a member. A lot of the same fun experiences is not explicit to any era of the activity, so I could relate to Free Day fun, bus shenanigans, thrill of performing and touring, etc. I approached the shows looking for the cool stuff, and there was a TON to focus on: way more than annoying stuff I disliked.

After that, I've been a steady DCI fan: I don't go to many live shows (there aren't many less than 45 min. drive from my place), but I get FN every year. I've bought the DVDs or Blu-rays the last several years, and I still enjoy a lot of stuff. Drum corps isn't about my personal tastes or opinions, and while some of the trends have far surpassed stuff from Back in My Day there is still amazing displays of awesome on the field: chops and awe aplenty!

The sooner a lot of people can figure that out, I think the happier they'll be. If they can't get over design trends that have been on the field now for nearly a decade, then perhaps it is time for them to find another hobby, or maybe put down the internet and stop constantly being a cancerous ball of annoyance. This is still a great activity, especially for the members: regardless of design, trends, politics, etc.

• Like 2

I'm talking about etiquette moderation, not opinion censorship - it's a common thing on the internet, and it was largely a tongue-in-cheek joke about how every thread on DCP turns into a discussion about the same four topics or so.

FWIW I have personally banned a myriad of people via the "ignore user" option. I was going through the list today (multiple pages) and it really does keep the nonsense to a slight minimum and I only see those folks when others quote/reply.

• Like 2