Southwest Corps Connection - Mesa, AZ

Did you enjoy their show?

Oh, I'm nowhere near Arizona. Or California. The only way I'll see a City Sound show is on Youtube. Just making sure all tonight's scores get mentioned.

• Like 1

wow.

Joke about Arizona immigration issues. Show was in Arizona.

Yeah i am very impressed in BK's perc this year. Based purely on the scores. I cant wait until the first full regional to see where they end up. Considering Phantom and Cavaliers percussion scores have been poor relative to their placement, BK could finish with a top 6 perc.

Ummmm.... You do realize that Cavies percussion tied bluecoats for 1st and beat the reigning drum champ cadets in Akron right?

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

We'll see, will be interesting once they're around corps that are more their caliber, IE Madison, Boston, Blue Stars, Troopers, ect.

Now wait a minute....all bias aside, I think the Blue Knights are of a little higher caliber than Madison, Blue Stars and Troopers.

And Boston should not even be put in the same sentence as any of the others mentioned. Boston has an extremely difficult program, sure, but I would be surprised if the Blue Knights end up close than 2 points behind Boston by Finals.

Not to start trying to play the "predictions game", but I'm seeing numbers by Finals like Boston 94.x and Blue Knights 92.x

And I really think Madison Scouts will be hard pressed to get to 90 points this year.

That's not the same caliber.

But I digress...who knows what will happen?

Edited by BoyWonder1911

oh, lol, I thought you were being serious... I know where they are at. And to be honest, I wouldn't put it past AZ highway patrol.

I think BRASSO makes pretty good jokes most of the time, but I tend to pick up on dry deliveries better than some people.

I imagine there were a lot of people reading that and thinking WTF?, so I thought I'd pitch in for a second.

• Like 1

Way to go BK!!

Just got back. Just impressions from a fan who is not even remotely close to being an expert on anything whatsoever...

Academy has a fun show this year. Classy with a very light touch. Deep blue or indigo in their hats and cummerbunds has a very subtle effect against the black uniforms. I'm not sure if that is new this year but I had not noticed it before. Parasols got whisked away by a violent 3 mph wind. Might want to fix that. Someone could get hurt tripping over one of those things.

Crossmen sounded kind of unbalanced but that seems like the sort of thing that can be worked out. I dropped in on practice earlier in the day and they sounded very good in sectionals, just still a little rough on the field. The caravans are cool but need some sort of decoration befitting the theme. The guard uniforms looked very nice but it is a subtle look that kind of gets overpowered by the white hats and plumes of the corps proper.

Blue Knights I LOVE the new uniforms. The corps sounded very good to be so early in the season, something that has not always been the case in recent years although they have gone on to be much better later in the season. So don't know whether to expect them to go the other way now, or to be even better than the last few years.

Santa Clara was WAY more enjoyable than i expected based on what I saw from last week on FN and based on the fact that I loved 2004 and was braced for disappointment. This show feels kind of like apples and oranges from that one to me now, though, so it doesn't really suffer from the comparison. Really nice visuals in this show, although I kind of forgot the big backdrop props were there after the show started. There is a mellophone (I think) solo into a big fuzzy microphone (I'm sure there is a term of art for it) that was really really sweet.

All in all a good night. Temps dropped below 100 and felt more comfortable than previous years. Kudos on starting this thing late.

• Like 1