The future of drum corps: A return to sanity.

I have no issue with synths or the like if I'm going to a regular concert where simple entertainment is the name of the game.

I DO have a problem if it's done in a competition....drum corps or marching band.

Get involved. Volunteer. See the kids and their experience.

I said it elsewhere: The sooner you realize that drum corps is not about you the sooner you'll be able to enjoy it again.

This is probably the best advice you could have said

• Like 1

I'll repeat my suggestion to Sam: The Blue Devils are in LA right this minute (Riverside, but still...). They'll be there through Sunday. If you refuse to give DCI a dime, fine, but at least go to a rehearsal, watch a run-through. Maybe even introduce yourself to a current marching member. Then let us know if you still feel the same way.

• Like 1

Let's look at just the different parameters mentioned by the OP that people get fired up (or not) about...

1. Synths or not

2. Judging now, or judging my favorite way

3. Any key, or my favorite key

4. Any brass, or only my favorite brass

5. 150 members, or only my favorite number of members.

I'm probably doing this math very very wrong, (i.e., I picked the wrong online calculator to figure it out,) but if we require each of those five categories to have one answer or the other, and all five must be selected, it gives us 252 possibilities.

Therefore, the solution is to create 252 distinct drum & bugle corps circuits. Everyone will be happy.

EVERYONE.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1

I have no issue with synths or the like if I'm going to a regular concert where simple entertainment is the name of the game.

I DO have a problem if it's done in a competition....drum corps or marching band.

That literally made no sense at all LOL.

• Like 1

I agree...that's one reason I'm not going.

I was more advocating for a new circuit...even a small one...that will better serve the activity.

ok...got the $$$?

Because that's what you'll need. drum corps isn't cheap anymore. nothing in life is

• Like 1

That literally made no sense at all LOL.

If I go to a concert like a rock band, synths wouldn't bother me,,,they're not in competition, they already got my ticket money.

If I go to a musical event that is competitive in nature -- like a DRUM CORPS show -- I want to hear those sounds produced by the effort of the members...pushing air through a horn, hitting a marimba with a mallet, etc....not by pushing a key that causes a machine to produce the sound.

Clear??

And yes, Jeff, I know it costs money....a rant is still a rant...and the points are still valid.

haaaahahahaha

I LOVE that there are finally enough people to start ganging up on the dinos. Too many brilliant posts to even quote.

Go volunteer and spend some time with these kids. Drum corps is NOT ABOUT YOU.

Edited by RContra

haaaahahahaha

I LOVE that there are finally enough people to start ganging up on the dinos.

If that's giving you jollies, you're missing the point.

I KNOW it's not about me...it's about the activity as a whole and the direction it's been going.

As for going to see the kids...that's not the issue either. They perform what they're given..and pretty #### well. it's about our RULING BODY making changes for the sake of making changes that hurt the activity.