Does recruiting (sometimes predatory) help or hurt DCI?

The entire premise of your argument is false. BD has never, ever "taken talent from other corps". Not one kid has ever been drafted by or traded for by the Blue Devils. None. If you have evidence that the Blue Devils have ever tried to recruit a *current* member of another corps, either present it or STHU.

I DO have ample evidence.. including a recent, first hand, personal experience evidence... of the Blue Devils trying to recruit another current member of another Drum Corps to BD. Not only did Gibbs try to personally recruit the marcher of another Corps while he was in that Corps, he even offered to cut a deal to reduce his fee to march the Blue Devils.( that " recruit " turned him down on his offer ) So on this point, you are totally clueless, and frankly don't know what you're talking about here on this,... so as you so snarkingly said to me here..... STHU.... as you are clearly out of the loop now and are just clueless on what is going on.

Edited by BRASSO

The entire premise of your argument is false. BD has never, ever "taken talent from other corps". Not one kid has ever been drafted by or traded for by the Blue Devils. None. If you have evidence that the Blue Devils have ever tried to recruit a *current* member of another corps, either present it or STHU.

Now, having said that, the corps is without question a destination corps for talented kids across the country (and the world) to try and make. They are because they have a successful business model, administration, and history of competitive success. Any kid that marches anywhere is free to audition for any other corps they want. To my knowledge, no corps have ever signed members to multi-year contracts, so they are all free agents at the end of every season.

I marched several years with my first corps before going to the Blue Devils. I was not poached, stolen, or anything else...I went to the Blue Devils willingly (and it was a long-term goal). Had I not aged out with the Blue Devils, I likely would not have aged out at all with my first corps.

kids often like to tell other kids and even where they are currently marching that some BIG corps is seeking them out. Like 1 kid would make any difference. I wonder who initiates what, actually no I dont , Ive done this and get dozens of e mails every year. Im petty darn sure who makes the 1st move

• Like 1

I DO have ample evidence.. asnd recent first hand evidence... of the Blue Devils trying to recruit another current member of another Drum Corps. Not only did Gibbs try to personally recruit the marcher of other Corps in person and on the phone.. and with multiple tries... he even offered to cut a deal to reduce his fee to march the Blue Devils. So on this point, you are totally clueless, and don't know what you are talking about,... so as you so snarkingly said to me here..... STFU.... as you are wrong.

Actually he said STHU. You saw his H and raised it an F.

OK, I see you downgraded it to an H. Never mind. :smile:

Edited by skevinp

Poaching talent from corps use to be a big deal when there were more local corps and when people were loyal to corps

Some say the Knights were tanked out of finals in 83 due to aggressively poaching other corps during the season and being meanies to the judges

I don’t know if it matters today

kids often like to tell other kids and even where they are currently marching that some BIG corps is seeking them out.

Oh sure, now you are reduced to throwing kids under the bus now as being often liars to boost your false assertion that BD (and perhaps other Corps) don't recruit on occasion... which I know from first hand experience conveyed to me from MUTIPLE relable adults ... is a falshood that BD does not recruit on occasion these days now.

You are shameless sometimes.

Edited by BRASSO

oh sure, now you are reduced to throwing kids under the bus as being liars to boost your claim that BD (and perhaps other Corps) don't recruit on occasion... which I know from first hand experience conveyed to me from MUTIPLE adults ... is a falshood

You are shameless sometimes.

well better shameless some times then ALL THE TIME

..a big time director does not want to be known for going after kids..although you might be right I do know a corps just out of the G7 that not only have done that but took kids owing money to others. BUT hey it doesnt really matter anyway as you said in another thread. It has nothing to do with the kid or talent..adults teaching adults and all about the staff is the reason for placements. Something to that sort you believed.

ive been there with directors as well as kids and not saying there arent directors that will do anything BUT I have also seen kids who love to be heard and seen and want others to think the world wants and needs them....the nature often of being a teenager, not all of course but its pretty normal

doesnt really matter tough does it: according to you

If adult show designers.. known for putting out quality designed shows.. put out a subpar show design in a given year, no amount of marcher talent and execution can save the day for those marchers. They are doomed to reaching their placement goals for that season ( not thats why they should be marching that Corps that seaaon in the first place, imo ).

The staffs are what principally determines placements in modern day DCI.. not the marchers busting their tails all summer at practice and in competition. Nobody that follows the activity ( and is honest about this ) really believes otherwise,

YOUR WORDS:

So lets assume you are right. Doesnt matter the kid or the talent then.......talk about not having faith in the kids or throwing under the bus...lol..

maybe your experience where you teach or the hundreds of kids you deal with during auditions the experience is very different..enlighten me, I'm more than willing to see if the grass is greener on the other side and more than ready to learn from it........ok....thanks for the interaction.....

Edited by GUARDLING

When I was working with a corps down south during spring training, the director was running through the roster and I explicitly remember him being very upset because George Hopkins had poached one of his mellophone players. I couldn't believe that would happen and the director then let me in on a long line of atrocities committed by the likes of Hoppy and Gibbs. I never heard Hops side of the story so who knows all the nitty gritty details but some things checkout through cross referencing. Let's just say it changed my opinion on certain people and theres a reason smaller corps have a hard time surviving around larger corps.

• Like 1

When I was working with a corps down south during spring training, the director was running through the roster and I explicitly remember him being very upset because George Hopkins had poached one of his mellophone players. I couldn't believe that would happen and the director then let me in on a long line of atrocities committed by the likes of Hoppy and Gibbs. I never heard Hops side of the story so who knows all the nitty gritty details but some things checkout through cross referencing. Let's just say it changed my opinion on certain people and theres a reason smaller corps have a hard time surviving around larger corps.

*waits for hopkins to make a response on facebook*

• Like 1

What I'm arguing is pretty simple - members move around, are recruited, chase incentives or anniversaries or attractive staffs or programs.

I'm not saying that the Bluecoats caused Glassmen to collapse. I'm saying that Bloo benefited from it. Just like Cadets certainly did as 27th and Bridgemen were collapsing, exactly when Cadets moved to the top of the ladder through the 80s.

OK, I do see what you're saying here, but to me this is the natural law of statistics. No doubt if one corps crashed and another was only 100 miles or so away that the surviving corps would get some auditions from members of the corps that died. How many of those kids would actually audition for the surviving corps, and how many would make it? Who knows. When one company dies people go looking for work elsewhere. They have to. In the drum corps world this can happen even before a corps completely dies off. The marcher might see, after marching a full season, that their present corps is being mismanaged, and that it's dying a slow death. They may choose to go somewhere else where the education is better, where travel is safer, where they are fed better, etc. I have no problem with that.

Ultimately, the successful drum corps in the business are doing something right. They are creating an environment that kids want to be part of. They are creating education situations and performance opportunities that students find worthwhile, and that keeps them coming back for more. The successful drum corps must do this and they must have the ability to FUND their operation. But FUNDING is the key piece.

There are plenty of kids in Ohio and in the Midwest that would love to march Glassmen if they were solvent and still functioning. I do not believe the talent pool has evaporated. If anything the talent pool is greater today than ever before. This is in part to public school programs with high-quality bands and orchestra. Many of these kids, however, get their fix for marching in BOA, US Bands, etc. But the numbers are there, and drum corps simply need to recruit and build and raise funds. But the bodies are there.

I DO have ample evidence.. including a recent, first hand, personal experience evidence... of the Blue Devils trying to recruit another current member of another Drum Corps to BD. Not only did Gibbs try to personally recruit the marcher of another Corps while he was in that Corps, he even offered to cut a deal to reduce his fee to march the Blue Devils.( that " recruit " turned him down on his offer ) So on this point, you are totally clueless, and frankly don't know what you're talking about here on this,... so as you so snarkingly said to me here..... STHU.... as you are clearly out of the loop now and are just clueless on what is going on.

I said EVIDENCE, not some BS story.