Why do You Stay?

I look at this a bit differently. DCI should be eternally thankful that it still has a Drum Corps like the Madison Scouts that a significantly large proportion of the DCI fanbase ( and generally an affluent one at that)" can not get enough of.". He had his likes and he had his dislikes. Like all of us here. Why does it bother you so that he and his friend with him ( of whatever age the 2 were ) found most of the Corps shows to their disliking, but did find one Corps show they both loved and " could not get enough of " ? Other than the act the two apparently talked too loudly ( we get this too with the fans on their cell phones lets be honest with ourselves here, and usually more of them at the shows causing everyone around them " annoyance ), the two were seemingly brought out to the show by one Corps. But how really different is this with the legions of fans that trickle into all these shows to see their kids perform in their show ( and annoyingly make us have to get up as they push down to their seats ) and then push back out and leave after their 1 corps performs ? I see little to no difference frankly. Other than the fact that whatever brings out the fans to a show.. whether its one Corps, or 25 of them, is a GOOD thing, not what they say and do once they get there. Its their time money and energy, not ours. Being critical of people that still come out to the shows.. for whatever reason.... is no way to grow the audience base, imo.

It was you, wasn't it? :tongue:

It was you, wasn't it? :tongue:

Lol !... I'll have to know that I carry a big stick, but talk softly... haha!.. (and I stand and cheer for all the Corps when they are done.)

Edited by BRASSO

This year is my first time posting on DCP during a season in a very long time. Madison's 2014 show is one of the few shows in the past 5-6 years I legitimately enjoy at this point, so I feel like following them at least a little bit would be fun this year.

Regardless of how much I disagree with show design and tour design, DCI has the absolute best marching ensembles on the planet (in terms of talent). It's an absolute shame they are constantly wasted through poor design and reward, but it's a small market. There's unfortunately nowhere else to get this kind of show except DCA and Open Class. For someone who fell in love with DCI and marching shows, I'm still willing to at least check in on the shows each year so I can keep up with current trends. Plus I'm a music teacher, it's kinda part of my job now.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

I have to agree with this. I thought it was a beautiful show from top to bottom.

I personally know a few DCI fans that did not like the show at all and though it to be strange that I liked it.

When I volunteered for a certain corps back in 2010, there was a competition where there was ample seating and I was able to find a good seat near the top to watch. There was an old guy sitting behind me and just to the left. Every few minutes he would grumble to the guy next to him (I believe they came out together to spectate) about this or that, or how this was crap, that was crap, this corps doesn't even move, he was laughing and tearing Crown apart at that point in their show where they were doing some kind of somersault on their back, kicking their legs up in the air. He didn't seem to care that he was annoying other people. He was upset that the corps were not marching 160bpm 90% of the time.

Even when Blue Stars came on and did their show, which was actually a pretty fast-paced show, he ridiculed the wooden boxes that the guard would occasionally get locked into and escape. He applauded for nobody except...

when Madison Scouts came on and did their relatively easy program, he couldn't get enough of it.

So you see how I see a lot of the "old timers". I guess I would say, if you don't like the activity now, you don't have to pay money to come out and watch. There's going to be another fan to take your place.

I love the activity because of the quality of programs and loud brass. Even some of the lesser corps I have enjoyed immensely at times. Loud brass, story-telling on the field, watching the corps become better night after night, watching those kids sweat and suffer through 12 weeks and pay $2,000 + to do it, just for the love of performing and making themselves better people.

If every kid joined a drum corps at least for one year, the world would be a much, much, much better place. This is the best thing about DCI.

And like I was telling someone earlier, drum corps often evokes such a strong emotional response in their fans. This is a good thing. There are activities that are worse off than drum corps. DCP is an outlet for us fans to be able to have an outlet for our strong emotions. Outlets are needed. This is why we stick around.

I don't care about their opinion just as long as they don't talk DURING the show. Aside from the fact that I detest narration I think DCI is better than ever. So many sounds to enjoy. I used to grumble a lot about this or that. Then I had a life changing event and saw how bad it looks. I still have a few negative comments left in me but try hard to remain positive. I like to talk with the performers a lot. I share old stories but never try to sound like the olden days wuz better because they were not. Just different.

• Like 1

I come early and stay late. I watch every single corps. I make no comments but do share stories in between shows if people engage me. If I have complaints I save them for the ride home and share with those I came with.

I look at this a bit differently. DCI should be eternally thankful that it still has a Drum Corps like the Madison Scouts that a significantly large proportion of the DCI fanbase ( and generally an affluent one at that) " can not get enough of.". He had his likes and he had his dislikes. Like all of us here. Why does it bother you so that he and his friend with him ( of whatever age the 2 were ) found most of the Corps shows to their disliking, but did find one Corps show they both loved and " could not get enough of " ? Other than the fact the two apparently talked too loudly ( we get this too with the fans yapping on their cell phones during the shows lets be honest with ourselves here, and usually more of them at the shows causing everyone around them " annoyance" with that, imo ), the two were seemingly brought out to the show by one Corps. But how really different is this than with the legions of fans that trickle into all these shows to see their family members perform in just their Corps performance and then and annoyingly make us have to get up as they push down to their seats and then just moments later annoyingly push back out over us and leave after their 1 corps performs ? I see little to no difference frankly. Other than the fact that whatever brings out the fans to a show.. whether its one Corps, or 25 of them, is a GOOD thing, not what they say and do once they get there. Its their time money and energy, not ours. Being critical of people that still come out to the shows.. for whatever reason.... is no way to grow the audience base, imo.

I guess what I was trying to say was that this guy was making it obvious and known that he absolutely hated all the other corps on the field and that they were ruining the activity with their "newness". He would talk during the shows, inbetween the shows, and normally I am very patient and I can take a lot of annoyance. But I wanted to grab this guys legs and flip him up over the railing behind him and watch him fall 100 feet to the ground.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't, because I probably wouldn't be here right now, I'd probably be in jail.

Why do I stay? I enjoy the technical and musical achievement that is only reached in Drum Corps. I'm a drummer so I enjoy the musicality and expertise of 9 snare drummers sounding like one. Seamless Bass drum ripples. Tenors with octopus arms.

Did I enjoy Drum Corps more 10-15 years ago? Absolutely. It's just different now. Not worse, just different. The aspects of Drum Corps that thrilled me back in the day are absent. No one is interested in just blowing your face off with a wall of sound. Even if they were, they couldn't because of the change to Bb. Anyone remember when corps were so loud you could literally feel it inside your chest? I do. I'd love some of the newer fans to be able to go back in time and see a show live from say the mid 90s or so. Then they would know what I'm talking about. I almost feel sorry for the newer fans that enjoy today's Drum Corps......I look at them and think to myself, "you have no idea how much more thrilling it was to see a live show 15 years ago"......I stay because each year I hope to feel that thrill once again.

• Like 3

I guess what I was trying to say was that this guy was making it obvious and known that he absolutely hated all the other corps on the field and that they were ruining the activity with their "newness". He would talk during the shows, inbetween the shows, and normally I am very patient and I can take a lot of annoyance. But I wanted to grab this guys legs and flip him up over the railing behind him and watch him fall 100 feet to the ground.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't, because I probably wouldn't be here right now, I'd probably be in jail.

In that case I would have got up and asked to have him removed after telling him I was doing so. I am not shy about telling people to shut up at shows at all. Even if I agreed with him I like to make my own mind up about a performance. There is no excuse for that.

I marched in the 70s and am a longtime participant in online drum corps forums participating in RAMD as a grad student in the 90s.

I rarely read or post here because year after year 95% of the posts are about how horrible modern day drum corps is, the decline of the activity, what's wrong with the activity, etc. yawn. That negativie view does not square with my feelings about drum corps so I don't engage or even read very often

That said, during the season I do appreciate hearing others views on show they've seen, learning about staff changes etc. So there is some wheat among the chaff.

FWIW there are two things I don't understand about all the negativity. In an activity that has always had artistic creativity and innovation as a core value why would you expect or want the activity to remain fixed in some particular era? Why do you assume that your preferred tastes in drum corps should reign supreme throughout the activity?

Peace out drum corps brothers and sisters. Drums on parade tonight!

That 2nd last group of text after "FWIW" couldnt have stated my views any better.