Why do You Stay?

I guess what I was trying to say was that this guy was making it obvious and known that he absolutely hated all the other corps on the field and that they were ruining the activity with their "newness". He would talk during the shows, inbetween the shows, and normally I am very patient and I can take a lot of annoyance. But I wanted to grab this guys legs and flip him up over the railing behind him and watch him fall 100 feet to the ground.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't, because I probably wouldn't be here right now, I'd probably be in jail.

I see nothing in his behavior that was much of a problem at all ( what, because he simply didn't like what you and I might like ? )... other than the fact that he was apparently talking too loudly.. I don' t think there is a fan on here that hasn't been " annoyed " by others around us at shows at one time or another. How about the staffs that come up the aisles around us and yell and scream ( or just talk loudly ) during their Corps performance ?.. sometimes they even block our sight lines. Have you ever encountered that at shows ? Were you ( and others around you ) annoyed with this ? I know I and the others in our entourage were . And its happened more than a couple of times too over the years. How about the ones that are talking loudly on their cell phones during a Corps performance, and interrupting our ability to hear the show in front of us ? Have you ever encountered that ? How " annoyed " were you ? Didn't you and a friend or two want to just grab them by their ankles and their hair, take them to the top of the stadium, and just toss them off the back stands ? I love infants. But not when they are around me at Drum Corps shows, and are crying during a Corps performance and generallly doing what little infants do. Have you ever encountened this ? I guess what I 'm saying is, the 2 guys talking a little too loudly you once encountered at a show seems about what one can expect here and there when we've gone to enough shows over the years to know that when we purchase a ticket we really are not guaranteed on ocasion that we might not find a fan ( or DCI staff ) or two that makes our experience a little less than satisfactory because of their inability to keep their voices down..

Edited by BRASSO

I guess what I was trying to say was that this guy was making it obvious and known that he absolutely hated all the other corps on the field and that they were ruining the activity with their "newness". He would talk during the shows, inbetween the shows, and normally I am very patient and I can take a lot of annoyance. But I wanted to grab this guys legs and flip him up over the railing behind him and watch him fall 100 feet to the ground.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't, because I probably wouldn't be here right now, I'd probably be in jail.

call them out.( without fighting , not worth it ).there are plenty from cell phone etc etc issues. Funny how the complainer to everything new as you said bought a ticket. I'm sure they knew exactly what they were going to see , just wants to be heard. Ive never seen so many who hate something continually buying it...lol...funny..usually you confront these people...especially politely and face to face they USUALLY pipe down. They often are the brave ones on line but usually never face to face. I love killing them with kindness and the obvious. Dont let anyone spoil YOUR experience.

They are of course entitled to an opinion just not when they are interfering with OTHERS who paid to enjoy their experience. Tell these people to take a seat ( figuratively as well as physically ) You can bet they have heard that before.

Edited by GUARDLING

I have seen a lot of drum corps (30 years worth). Never marched DCI, was too busy earning money in high school and college. That being said, I played the French Horn, Trumpet and Mellophone-through college. I will admit, I love a wall of brass sound blasting me in the face, love the "thunder" of a drum line. I love the visual aspect of it all. It was true when I was 4 years old and could hear the marching band (from my house across town) practice in my hometown. Still true today.

I have seen a lot of drum corps (30 years worth). Never marched DCI, was too busy earning money in high school and college. That being said, I played the French Horn, Trumpet and Mellophone-through college. I will admit, I love a wall of brass sound blasting me in the face, love the "thunder" of a drum line. I love the visual aspect of it all. It was true when I was 4 years old and could hear the marching band (from my house across town) practice in my hometown. Still true today.

thank you for supporting the activity and your loyalty for 30 years

call them out.( without fighting , not worth it ).there are plenty from cell phone etc etc issues. Funny how the complainer to everything new as you said bought a ticket. I'm sure they knew exactly what they were going to see , just wants to be heard. Ive never seen so many who hate something continually buying it...lol...funny..usually you confront these people...especially politely and face to face they USUALLY pipe down. They often are the brave ones on line but usually never face to face. I love killing them with kindness and the obvious. Dont let anyone spoil YOUR experience.

They are of course entitled to an opinion just not when they are interfering with OTHERS who paid to enjoy their experience. Tell these people to take a seat ( figuratively as well as physically ) You can bet they have heard that before.

I've actually had to call ushers in because of someone talking MORE after being asked to quiet down. Actually, that's happened a couple of times in one particular region of the country that I lived in.

Basically, **** you, I don't care. I do what I want attitude.

I am returning at a Cadets volunteer this year, after being away to take a break and focus on my health

What an amazing year to be able to return!

I say be able, because march of 2013...I was on a path that was not so good.

I have lost 60lbs since my diagnoses of hypertension and type2 diabetes

I am thrilled to return and looking forward to serve this amazing corps!

Welcome back and congratulations on the weight loss!

Nice , uneventful, civil discussion. Exactly what I wanted to see. :smile: Great points from everyone, mostly what I was expecting, some interesting perspective as well.

Another reason I stick around is because I care.

It has now been long enough since 2000 (Bb horns) that probably no current marchers have ever heard or played in a line of G bugles. I won't get into a comparison between the different types of horns, as that has been discussed many times in other threads. But I really missed the G sound when it was gone. It's not about the key. It was about the volume, power, and purity of those horns in an all-acoustic setting. You just can't hear it on recordings. It had to be experienced live to understand.

Is current drum corps musical? Impressive? Dazzling? Absolutely. But it's completely different than the "old days." In this case, everything has changed, and only the names have remained the same.

• Like 1

So far speaking out much louder than them and saying that I didn't pay "x" amount of dollars to hear them yammer on gets them to shut right up. If they have opinions between shows I don't mind. People who bring toddlers ...now really what is wrong with these people?

Why do I stay? I enjoy the technical and musical achievement that is only reached in Drum Corps. I'm a drummer so I enjoy the musicality and expertise of 9 snare drummers sounding like one. Seamless Bass drum ripples. Tenors with octopus arms.

Did I enjoy Drum Corps more 10-15 years ago? Absolutely. It's just different now. Not worse, just different. The aspects of Drum Corps that thrilled me back in the day are absent. No one is interested in just blowing your face off with a wall of sound. Even if they were, they couldn't because of the change to Bb. Anyone remember when corps were so loud you could literally feel it inside your chest? I do. I'd love some of the newer fans to be able to go back in time and see a show live from say the mid 90s or so. Then they would know what I'm talking about. I almost feel sorry for the newer fans that enjoy today's Drum Corps......I look at them and think to myself, "you have no idea how much more thrilling it was to see a live show 15 years ago"......I stay because each year I hope to feel that thrill once again.

THIS!!! You said it so much better than I did! "I stay because each year I hope to feel that thrill once again."

Also, battery percussion instruments were larger in size and lower in pitch circa the 1980s (ie, larger bass drums, mylar snare heads, etc.), so I think that added to the more powerful sound as well.

There are some newer fans and members who comment about the sound of the old shows which they have heard on recordings. Let me tell you: No recording can physically shake you the way that live corps did around 1999 and earlier. "I stay because each year I hope to feel that thrill once again." Totally on point.

I've actually had to call ushers in because of someone talking MORE after being asked to quiet down. Actually, that's happened a couple of times in one particular region of the country that I lived in.

Basically, **** you, I don't care. I do what I want attitude.

Hmm. Maybe I should call ushers in on those people who keep talking during shows. Oh, I'm not talking about people in the stands. I'm talking about narrators!

• Like 1