Do We Want Cheering Fans Or Not?

Applause and enthusiasm--such horrendous things for drum corps.

Last year at prelims a woman sat in front of me, and after Blue Saints performed, she had the audacity to get up and cheer. Why? Her son who marched with the corps had come a long way since joining and she was happy. What's next? Will she praise the kid for getting a good report card or say thank you when he mows the lawn without being asked? Then the Colts Cadets parents also cheered their kids as if they accomplished something. Now do any of us really think that kids as young as 13 or 14 who probably had to battle homesickness while on tour really deserve the adulation of drum corps fans? Isn't drum corps about giving your heart and soul and not receiving any recognition. Later the martial arts/dance troupe that Gold used got a standing ovation. How dare those who were standing make those young people who traveled from their homeland feel appreciated. Troopers' sunburst made people hoot and holler. I'm petitioning that they be banned from Indy this summer and those Madison fans who had tears in their eyes, get a grip. Love of a corps mixed with patriotism does not belong in drum corps and Crown fans, if you cheer as much as one tenth of what you did last year, I'm calling the riot police!

A lively audience is a huge part of what makes drum corps shows fun and the corps appreciate it--and this is coming from someone who is a bit tightly wrapped. So lighten up and cheer on!

• Like 1

The people complaining about shows "not exciting fans" actually don't care about the shows exciting fans. They care about shows exciting THEM. Basically, they don't like what drum corps is, so they make up this narrative about people sitting on their hands in support of their reasons why they don't like drum corps these days.

I think you're half right: the DCP posters likeliest to claim that fans used to be more excited by shows are those who themselves are not excited by today's shows. But I don't think it follows that those posters "don't care about the shows exciting fans". Rather, such posters believe that fewer cheering fans now is proof that they are correct about today's shows being less exciting. One person used to have a gif in their signature purporting to show a 1980s crowd standing excitedly in the middle of a show, with the observation that this happened a lot more then than now.

And I think it's entirely believable that such posters genuinely are not encountering mid-show standing ovations regularly. I could be misremembering, but I think I first saw that signature in 2010. At around that time, I distinctly recall someone saying on these forums that at Allentown, there was precisely one mid-performance standing ovation. Having attended Allentown that year, that seems fairly accurate. How such posters would react at shows like Muncie, where a large contingent of young fans are very excited, I can't say.

There is a difference between cheering and fangirling. You have corps in "lower tiers" (i hate that phrase) that can do teh same thing as another corps and get golf claps but then you have "top tier" corps doing the same thing and people fangirl over it like its never been done. It happens in WGI, DCI, and marching band. If you are going to credit the top groups for it why not credit the lower groups. Crown played a chord and people jumped up but if Troopers or Stars played they same it would just be a clap. Weve gotten to a point where people are like MY corps deserves the championship no matter what and THEY do the hardest things and THEY are the best. You know how hard it is to put your heart into something knowing the crowd wont go crazy because you arent a top 5 group? Those top 5 groups could #### on the field and get standing ovations and girls screaming. Even in the entrances to the Muncie show the top groups were given better treatment by saying how good they were and how many championships but the others were from Milwaukee from Casper etc.

</rant>

With so much competition for the entertainment dollar, and with drum corps costing so much to stage and tour, DCI needs to not just impress people in August with great performances but needs new fans who are passionate and excited enough to want to keep coming back. If young people get excited watching shows in June, even over stuff that wouldn't get us dinos excited, that's a very good thing.

• Like 2

I go with some friends to drums along the Rockies every year and we cheer for every corps. They work their butts off all summer and deserve the applause.

• Like 2

Cheering is great, just wish they'd cheer for the actual intricate and awesome brass stuff. every one of those standing o's from the band kids in crown's show was for a big, loud major chord. And straight lines on the yardlines.

Cheering is great, just wish they'd cheer for the actual intricate and awesome brass stuff. every one of those standing o's from the band kids in crown's show was for a big, loud major chord. And straight lines on the yardlines.

Which is why, in their eyes, drum corps is not band.

Repeatedly on these forums, there have been complaints that modern drum corps shows don't excite fans and bring them to their feet like shows of old.

But then in the Muncie thread, for a show where students in attendance give multiple standing ovations (during the performances, even) to several corps in what appear to be genuine and spontaneous cheers (not shouting to hear themselves shout and not phony staff-driven attempts to get others to cheer), it seems to me that there is a fair amount of moaning from DCP commenters about these overexcited fans getting in the way of our enjoyment of the show.

So what gives?

I actually love the enthusiasm and cheering by fans....When a corps brings me to my feet mid-show(Cadets have done this to me numerous times over the years) there is not going to be a person in the world that will stop me from standing up and cheering them for their awesomeness...I did notice though that 2 years ago at Allentown there was a fan getting up constantly and making a racket...he got the infamous ...shhhhhhhhhh...from other fans in the audience...it was priceless....I was thinking...geez...people just need to really chill out and relax...after all this is not the opera...LOL