Brass Impact! Overland Park KS

It's OK to split hairs - that's what we do here :-) I contend, in this case, they are one and the same.

The message I'm trying to put across is this: one member, the story teller is, the lead, the focus of the Colts show. The musicians are merely producing background music. As mentioned in earlier posts, the audience is confused by the story teller. Remember Mr. Harris's quote to members, staff, parents, and volunteers... "an eleven minute soliloquy."

Hello Alan,

First things first...

What was told to you in a January Camp (I was there) at an impromptu speech by a very talented script writer and story-teller doesn't mean that is the vision that actually hit the field. While the story is told over the COURSE of 11 minutes... the use of the spoken word takes approximately 1 1/2 full minute of the timing of the show... in several second chunks throughout the production. Much of the opening narrative is Pre-show...

Like every other musical consideration... when the focus is supposed to be on the main idea... the rest of the ensemble is balanced to allow that voice to be heard. No different than when we take out a mellophone part that was interfering with the audibility of a baritone melody. No one complains when the upper brass isn't blowing their brains out because the focus is a baritone solo. But make the hornline play "pp" volume for a phrase so we can get clarity on some words, and suddenly we're just using 149 kids to show off 1?

The members don't think they're the background music for an 11 minute soliloquy... if your son does (I'll see him today), he hasn't been paying attention. I'll ask him. We teach members to think clearly and for themselves in the Colts... and if there is some confusion, then we'll help clear it up.

Teenagers regularly miss the point in life... that's why they're teenagers. :) (I have 5 of them...)

To say "the audience is confused" is an overstatement. "Some" of the audience is confused by the story, and the manner in which it is being presented. It is evolving (as I plainly said in my earlier response). Working on that... just like the Madison Scouts are working on how to be able to hear the tenor drum parts when the trumpet section is too loud.

But your contention that one person is the "lead" and the 149 other members are the backdrop... is simply incorrect. That is akin to saying that the flugelhorn soloist for the Boston Crusaders is the "lead" and the other 149 members of BAC are just there to fill space.

The voice is the lead when it is the lead... and sometimes... it is NOT the lead, but a part of the percussion ensemble... and sometimes... an effect, overlayed on top a particular somber mood.... or a manic energy moment that guides the emotional release of the music, as when he exclaims "Cuz it's MEEEEeeee that's runnin' Oz!" (which clearly is a full ensemble hit.. )

The point is... clarity and balance... not there yet the way it needs to be. Pointing that out takes no special skill. Creating and fixing it is what we do... so we will. It's so raw right now... but it's not like any of the staff or design people think it's perfect yet. No one is saying that... that's why this takes everyone all summer to get it right... from the Racine Scouts to the Blue Devils.

Please try not to overstate your implied insider knowledge because you heard a brief presentation at a camp 7 months ago. If you have questions as a parent of a member, then you already have access to my personal email. Why not ask me the question? Perhaps you'll be around this week?

Hey... I get that this is confusing... it's a process that constantly evolves. The trap is in thinking this is a static situation, and that everything is cemented in place the moment it's said aloud. It's not. The longer you're around, the more that will become clear.

This is the show design for the 2014 Colts. Some will love it. Some will hate it. I'm particularly happy that it's generating any interest at all, in an activity that increasingly is all about the Top 6's bloated self-importance, and everyone else standing in the corner with a soup bowl saying "Please, sir, may I have another?"

all the best,

Chuck

• Like 7

Well, I will admit this: I have had the priveledge of watching Colts for decades. And my mental picture of the Colts as the wholesome all-American Mom and apple pie corps was shaken up when I first saw their show live. But Chuck, I didn't love it OR hate it. I found myself....disturbed by it is the best way I can describe it. It creeped me out. And I'm a crusty old coot who has seen it all in life. The narrator and his interactions with the guard member - this tiny girl, the smallest guard member in the field, and the innuendo that is still giving me the willies. And this is from the Colts?!?!! So I don't know if this is what you were going for, but it sure disturbed me. That was my emotion. Not love or hate.

Well, I will admit this: I have had the priveledge of watching Colts for decades. And my mental picture of the Colts as the wholesome all-American Mom and apple pie corps was shaken up when I first saw their show live. But Chuck, I didn't love it OR hate it. I found myself....disturbed by it is the best way I can describe it. It creeped me out. And I'm a crusty old coot who has seen it all in life. The narrator and his interactions with the guard member - this tiny girl, the smallest guard member in the field, and the innuendo that is still giving me the willies. And this is from the Colts?!?!! So I don't know if this is what you were going for, but it sure disturbed me. That was my emotion. Not love or hate.

......as someone who's last name is Willey, I have never been overly fond of this turn of phrase! I never thought a case of me was all that bad?!?!? :tounge2:

If you are disturbed by the Colts' show, you clearly have not gone to many WGI competitions. Believe me, world class champions or close to champions often leave you amazed at their talent and execution and at the same time, wondering what the heck you just saw.

I think the guard girl is just fine. Not over the top at all.

I think the show is a little dark, but not overly so. Even high school marching bands are doing dark shows folks. Some darker than this.

What's that saying? Any PR is good PR? Well, not always, but in this case, I say yes it is.

I wish more designers and arrangers would provide their first-hand perspective such as Chuck Naffier has on this post. I'm now a fan of their show. Another great example was a pod-cast interview with Doug Thrower a while back.

Thanks Chuck!

edited for: I gpt my wish - thank ypu Dean Westman for providing such a great interview on the DCI podcast (of July 2, 2014).

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

It's interesting hearing opinions of Colt's show. Like Boston, the Colts are exploring themes of corruption, ruthlessness, and envy? perhaps. But many of us in the older generations want to hear the Colts, Boston, etc. of the past. Maybe playing patriotic, or fan friendly shows. I'm sure they'll both do that again sometime in the future, but I think it's important to remember when and in what circumstances these kids grew up in. 9/11, the constant beat of terrorism, economic downturn. It's all pretty bleak and I think that is what's coming through. I expect more of these shows in the future as kids genuinely want to express themselves - I mean let's face it, they've been given a pretty messed up country by us, so here's their response.

• Like 1

I really like what Colts are attempting this year - yes it still has issues - but I'm sure they will be worked out. I "got" it right away - Scarecrow has taken over Oz - he's evil (I liked the throne up front), dressed as a slick businessman to draw parallels with today - I get it - it's not hard to get.

Does the narration overtake the music at some points - yep - do I think it will be fixed by DCI - absolutely.

I don't usually spend much time watching Colts. They've rarely had shows that really appealed to me or made me want to watch from start to finish - and this one does.

It's dark and strange and weird and off center - and isn't vanilla - so I really appreciate that.

And for those of you who think distorting "Oz" doesn't work - just look to "Wicked" on Broadway

Can't wait to see it live later this summer.

Later,

Mike

These were my thoughts as well. I'm only confused as it distorts the canon I had in my mind from Zydeco and Sac (whatever that was supposed to represent) winterguard shows from 2012.