Brass Impact! Overland Park KS

Yes. They (Surf) opened with a 52.4 on June 28th last year, so (62.6 is) very impressive for them.

Indeed!

However, two years ago, they opened with a 62.7 on June 29, almost the same as this show--and yet in both 2012 and 2013, they finished with almost the exact same score, despite starting 10 points apart: 75.45 and 75.40, respectively.

So the Cavies break 80 on July 1st. How does this compare to past years?

2013 July 18 7th place

2012. July 16. 8th place

2011. June 29. 3rd place

2010. July 3. 2nd place

2009 July 5. 4th place

2008. July 2. 3rd place

I can see them in 5th at finals, could they go higher?

• Like 3

So the Cavies break 80 on July 1st. How does this compare to past years?

2013 July 18 7th place

2012. July 16. 8th place

2011. June 29. 3rd place

2010. July 3. 2nd place

2009 July 5. 4th place

2008. July 2. 3rd place

I can see them in 5th at finals, could they go higher?

They could go higher, it all depends on everyone else. Most folks forget that they were in a solid 7th place early season in 2010 and finished 2nd.

I think the design team is finding their way back and based on how strong they finished last season to get into 7th with a weak show, who knows? I think 5th is a realistic possibility, with 4th being a best case, on fire scenario. Of course they could be awesome and be 7th again with perhaps the strongest top 6 in many years!

But hey, crazier things have happened.. 2008 anyone?

Cavie's show is dynamite, just grabs you and won't let go! Surf looked good for first time out. The other two shows were annoying. PR placed a gas powered generator right next to the stands below where we were seated. Don't know what they were powering, but have you ever tried to watch a show with a generator running? Ugh! The Colts show was very impressive, EXCEPT they need to pull the plug on the guy narrating. He adds nothing to the show. We could only make out bits and pieces of what he was saying, and he only distracted us from what was happening. Don't know which was worse, the narrator or the generator.

Cavie's show is dynamite, just grabs you and won't let go! Surf looked good for first time out. The other two shows were annoying. PR placed a gas powered generator right next to the stands below where we were seated. Don't know what they were powering, but have you ever tried to watch a show with a generator running? Ugh! The Colts show was very impressive, EXCEPT they need to pull the plug on the guy narrating. He adds nothing to the show. We could only make out bits and pieces of what he was saying, and he only distracted us from what was happening. Don't know which was worse, the narrator or the generator.

I hate narration in general, but if you take out the guy (is he the Scare Crow???), then the show title makes no sense.

Their show is Dark side of the Rainbow, and the narrator is telling some story about maybe what happens in Oz after Dorthy leaves, the Cowardly lion yearning for Dorthy and hating on the Scare Crow, Tin Man, and other Oz characters... ....or something like that. It's been several weeks since I saw the video of their show and heard the narrative.

The guard is wearing a costume that is half Cowardly Lion, half Scare Crow.

There is NO Wizard of Oz music in the show, so if you take away the narrator's dialog, the show doesn't really work the same. The guard uniforms don't make sense, et cetera....

Then again, they could make the show about all the cool music from Dark Side of the Moon, and Radiohead, but that wouldn't explain the guard uniforms.

I think the show is an interesting concept, but for me it is difficult to get around the use of the narration as a necessary aspect of the show.

That's just not my cup of tea. Otherwise, I mostly love the show arrangements and ides.

Edited by jjeffeory

Colts - what a nightmare. It is like 2006 Cadets all over again. Same designer (Marc Sylvester). Same hallucinogenic obsession with warping a classic childhood story. Same grotesque excess of dialogue. Props that do not work. A ballad featuring a female vocalist. Basic things like horns and drums shoved aside by all these distractions.

What do they say about repeating the same actions and expecting different results? The definition of insanity.

• Like 1